1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Goodbye

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Oldvatr, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

Try using the website rather than the app. That should work.

Sorry @Oldvatr

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh dear, and I was just feeling a little pithed off...:D and unable to do all {low carb} sweetness and light today!
    It gets a little disheartening when evey time I think things are going well something beyond my control will come along and trip me up. However I do realise that I am lot better off healthwise than some of our other members and that does actually keep things in perspective for me most of the time. And at least I'm not getting called a mentally disturbed exhibitionist in need of psychiatric help if I have a bit of a vent here.

(And at risk of derailing the thread again...) Yours sincerely, Mrs Grumpy Cat

• Hug Hug x 1
  3. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Here is some food for thought:
    http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/glycosylation/

Although it does not really discuss peaks and troughs in bgl levels, it seems that the effect of short spikes has almost zero effect on HbA1c. There is a discussion on possible harmful pathways, and how thesw might be mitigated, but again they are discussed long term, and short term effects due to peaks is not discussed. Interesting comments about Vit C and ALA but this is only commentary and may be POV not fact. The article reads like a blog, so not to be taken as gospel

Interesting comment in the article seems to imply that proteins also get glycated, and this reduces their effectiveness directly eg in skin and collagen, leading to AGE by products. Again the article does not give timings for that process to occur. There is an article describing AGE products and their kinectivity, but is it an article that needs a degree in biology to understand and is way above my paygrade so I am not linking to it here.

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If anyone reaches this far, then I have decided to stay for the moment. The messgages that this Forum gives, and the hope and support it engenders is way beyond the individual members, be they Mods or Users alike. The sum is certainly greater than the parts, and I will continue to put my pennorth in.

It is probable that I will from time to time cause upset, but then that is my way. I believe in blunt speaking on occasions. Sorry to see others decide to leave, but then that is a choice open to all of us. On the other hand. a decision to stay may get disputed, but then thats Life and as with parliament, there will be periodic elections to make life interesting.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    #84 Oldvatr, Nov 9, 2017 at 1:41 PM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  5. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

Good.
    Just need @zand to stay now?

Like I've always said "the forum is for everyone, no matter how we speak (except from abuse, of course)".
    Diabetic soldiers together....fighting one enemy. Early death!
    Thank you for staying @Oldvatr :) :) :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Well, the conclusion of this link is... Low carb is best. She states that it may not be for everyone but for her, she is sticking to low carb as the chart clearly shows fewer spikes. Going by what I am learning many many people are now going low carb with far greater success than high carbs

7. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's a good idea because people maybe don'like to share these info or forget to update the data after a change.
    Especially for a confused newcomer. If explained why knowing the medication is important it is also educational. And stops some boilerplate answers that some formers are writing.
    And I am not referencing the official one.

8. Mongoose39uk

Mongoose39uk Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The long goodbye....

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook