Granola Bar/Cereal Bar?

BeccaJaneStClair

Can anyone recommend a safe (and low-carb if possible) granola or cereal bar? Headed out on an overnight camping/hiking trip with a friend next week and I'd like to pack a few granola bars if possible!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
No, but you could make my standard:

very roughly:
100 g ground almonds
50 g coconut flour
50 g soya flour
25 g oat bran
25 g milled flax seed
[200-250 g Low carb flours as available]
2 teasp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coriander
2 tabsp non-sugar sweetener
all sieved together
90 ml olive oil
4 eggs
beaten together
1 handful sultanas
thoroughly mix
check for dropping consistence - I added the 4th egg (latest batch a 5th egg)
put in square silicone baking dish - 9", 220 mm
Bake for 20 minutes at 175 °C

Nice spongy cake texture - The result is about 25mm (1") thick. I cut it into 16 slices which are the right size for "grazing." It's rich in proteins & fats so is very sustaining. I don't run out of energy.

Grazer

Alternatively, ifmyou're lazy like me, you can buy Atkins daybreak bars from sainsburys. Bit pricey but low carb and don't affect my BGs at all. Tasty too!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I use Atkins Daybreak sometimes, and they're really tasty. However, they do carry a warning that too many can cause the runs, so maybe you won't want to eat too many if you're camping/hiking! Check the labels.

You could pack a container of hard-boiled eggs, cheese, baby toms and strips of pepper etc if you like that sort of thing. Or cooked cold sausages if you're only away overnight. Or take some nuts to snack on. I like to use Babybel cheeses if I'm going on a long drive - they're very convenient.

Viv 8)

BeccaJaneStClair

IanD said:
No, but you could make my standard:

Looks tasty, I'll have to source some of those flours though as I've never heard of coconut flour before!

viviennem said:
I use Atkins Daybreak sometimes, and they're really tasty. However, they do carry a warning that too many can cause the runs, so maybe you won't want to eat too many if you're camping/hiking! Check the labels.

Uhm...yeah, that could be a bad thing.

You could pack a container of hard-boiled eggs, cheese, baby toms and strips of pepper etc if you like that sort of thing. Or cooked cold sausages if you're only away overnight. Or take some nuts to snack on. I like to use Babybel cheeses if I'm going on a long drive - they're very convenient

Viv 8)

I love Babybel cheeses and usually have a pack in the fridge. Yum. We are just going for a single overnight (AFAIK) and I've got a little lunch bag/cooler bag I could stick an ice pack in. Thanks for the ideas!