Grapefruit and statins

Emmerdale

Good Afternoon ,quick question, i am on 1 x 20 mg atorvastatin can i have grapefruit (tinned in own juice) or is this a no no ?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It depends which statins you are on, some are ok but some definately are not and in combination can apparently be deadly, so my advise is don't.

Defren

I don't think you can have any grapefruit while on statins. My GP didn't say a specific grapefruit to avoid while on statins, I just assumed it was all as there isn't any real difference between fresh and canned.

Grazer

I've been told it's a no-no as the grapefruit stops the statins from working,.
I've copied this from an NHS site:-
•Avoid drinking grapefruit juice if you are taking simvastatin. Grapefruit juice reduces the breakdown by the liver of simvastatin, which raises the level of simvastatin in the blood and makes you more likely to get side effects.
•Atorvastatin interacts with grapefruit juice if you drink large quantities, but an occasional glass is thought to be safe. It is safe to drink grapefruit juice if you are taking any of the other statins.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I understood from the web that grapefruit increases the effect of statins in the blood. I suspect that on a low dose of any statin and without eating that much it isn't a problem. I occasionally have a small quantity for breakfast.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Grapefruit INCREASES the effect of ALL drugs. So they tell you to take less GRAPEFRUIT??? Nuts.

It's because they can't quantify HOW MUCH any grapefruit will affect you, while they KNOW the amount of drugs they are prescribing you! :crazy:

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
i was told not to eat grapefruit because i take a tablet for blood pressure but i was not told it for a statin which i am also on.

7of9raf

Hi everyone
I completed my Desmond course in April and I mentioned how disappointed I was that I couldn't eat grapefruit because of the simvostatin especially when she said that citrus fruits are the best ones to eat with T2 diabetes. She said why couldn't I eat them and I said because of the meds, she said that you take the simvostatins at night and as i like grapefruit for breakfast it would be alright.

So i have been eating a grapefruit most mornings since, my blood sugars are down and so was my cholesterol so it can't be affecting the meds.

Just thought i would through that in…….. i just wish the NHS would stick to one thing, when I asked the doctor about when I should take metformin he said it didn't matter, it was the pharmasist that said it should be taken after meals, when i went back to see another doctor he said I could take it an hour before food if i wanted……….that was when I was have serious stomach problems due to metformin, i am finally now on slow release and things are a bit better………When will the NHS sort out what is right and what is wrong and give everyone the same, and right advice!!!

Sorry rant over

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Would you take the risk of having a drink of grapefruit or eating the fruit if you knew it could be lethal. Read the print in your medication it should tell you. Omg its unbelieveable that doctors and nurses don't know about this. Just do your research first.

C

catherinecherub

Emmerdale said:
Good Afternoon ,quick question, i am on 1 x 20 mg atorvastatin can i have grapefruit (tinned in own juice) or is this a no no ?

This is getting ridiculous. I would recommend that the OP reads the Patient Information Leaflet.
It states very clearly that Grapefruit juice increases the levels of the statin in your blood so it would be best to follow the instructions.
http://www.medicines.org.uk/guides/lipi ... %20tablets

C

chris lowe

Not only does it say in the Patient information inside the packets but when my pharmacy print out the name label to stick on the packet it specifically says do not eat grapefruit. I'm sure once in a while would be ok but I wouldn't risk it every day.