Green tea - the good, bad and plain ugly

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just to note, as I regularly see people going <UGH!> about green tea.

Not all green teas are the same.

When I am going to be around the house for a while I make a pot of green tea using loose leaf tea - currently using Clipper green tea leaves and a funky glass Bodum tea pot.

When I only have time for one cup, I use a tea bag. My favourite is (again) Clipper which is O.K. but not nearly as nice as the loose leaf tea.

Ran out of tea bags and bought a box of Lord Nelson tea bags from Lidl.
I don't think these are very nice - they certainly have very little flavour - so I wouldn't blame anyone for trying these and then deciding that green tea was the work of the devil :twisted: .

In all cases I add some lemon juice to the tea which IMHO transforms it.

So I would recommend that those trying green tea make sure that they have tried a reliable brand, and if possible have tried a loose leaf tea instead of a tea bag, and try it with some squirty (or real) lemon.

Cheers

LGC

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd add that if you find green tea too bitter, just don't leave it in the hot water too long, i personally never let it brew for longer than 1 minute, and a slice of lemon helps loads. If I use loose leaf tea then you need about half the quantity you would use for a black tea with milk.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
TBH I've tried Clipper Green Tea and didn't like it at all LittleGreyCat, the brand I use is from Holland & Barrett called Double Dragon and has 20 tea bags per box.

I appreciate green tea is not for everyone and some may say it tastes horrible, I wasn't keen when I first started drinking it but now I prefer it above all else, it's refreshing and good for you too!!!

Reactions: Bludnok

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i drink green tea all day everyday, i have about 10- 15 cups a day, i prefer lemon or cranberry flavours, i have tetley at work or twinnings (i think its called that) at home, i leave the bag in the cup until its drunk, i love it! I've tried all the other flavours but these are the only ones i like, i don't like plain green tea without the flavouring, if anyone is gonna say tetly or twinnings isn't really green tea...shhhhhhh

Reactions: Lainie71 and Garway

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
339520,xcitefun-green-tea-benefits-4.jpg

be nice if this is true

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the Asian jasmine green tea is nice too, I use about 1/3 of the amount of green tea than if it was black, unlike black, I think it's better weak

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some green tea about 2 years ago. I can't remember the brand but I really didn't like it at all. I'm not really a tea drinker because I find it has a funny aftertaste ... Is it the tannin? I have to have it weak and without milk. I drink a lot when in turkey. Green tea seems to have that aftertaste but ten fold!
My friend in Turkey also brews tea from various leaves in the garden.

I may give the green tea another try especially with the lemon.

I've always enjoyed peppermint tea and it has benefits for digestion. Costa have a lovely mint humbug tea ... Delicious!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

bad-jojo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I drink clipper green tea (bags) usually. I leave the bag in the cup and add a few thin slices of fresh root ginger which I find very refreshing.

Reactions: Serena51

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The green tea in Holland & Barrett is on buy one get one half price, just stocked today :)

Anjali 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I also have a similar feeling. I didn't like the taste of green tea when I started but now it is my favorite drink and I have started to experiment other types as well; and I have tried halmari oolong tea, chamomile tea, masala tea etc. And YES, I did like the taste of lemon in my green tea!

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
On my box of green tea, in the instructions it says "Green tea does not like boiling water" just very hot as it will turn bitter and not to steep for more than a minute. Like the idea of slices of ginger in it! Trying to wean myself off so much coffee and green tea is my go to for that. Have a cuppa for me! Cheers/L

Devii

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I like the green tea with lemon. Very refreshing and adds a nice zing to the mornings :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
the Asian jasmine green tea is nice too, I use about 1/3 of the amount of green tea than if it was black, unlike black, I think it's better weak
I love that. I buy loose leaves from a Chinese supermarket and only use a small pinch in a massive mug, you don’t need much, I’ve found!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nice to see an old thread revived - four years old!
Made me realise that I don't drink that much green tea at the moment because I am only slowly working my way through the tea bags in the larder.
Still, had a cup today so that is a coincidence.:)

Reactions: LooperCat

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
On my box of green tea, in the instructions it says "Green tea does not like boiling water" just very hot as it will turn bitter and not to steep for more than a minute. Like the idea of slices of ginger in it! Trying to wean myself off so much coffee and green tea is my go to for that. Have a cuppa for me! Cheers/L
I agree. I used to hate that fishy aftertaste until I read about the brewing temperature. I now drink it regularly.

"Traditionally Japanese green teas and spring teas are brewed at lower temperatures (160°F to 170°F) and standard Chinese green teas at higher temperatures (170°F to 180°F)."

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-brew-green-tea-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-203091

Reactions: lindijanice

Lorraine G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did a tea tasting course with a master blender and he said people don't like green tea because they make it wrong. Always use cooler water or instead of milk put a splash of cold water then the boiling water from kettle. It then will not scorch and leave the bitter taste. Works every time. So fragrant and delicate I love it...

Eyebee

I did a tea tasting course with a master blender and he said people don't like green tea because they make it wrong. Always use cooler water or instead of milk put a splash of cold water then the boiling water from kettle. It then will not scorch and leave the bitter taste. Works every time. So fragrant and delicate I love it...

I love green tea and I have wondered sometimes about the bitter edge. Thanks for sharing that!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nice to see an old thread revived - four years old!
Made me realise that I don't drink that much green tea at the moment because I am only slowly working my way through the tea bags in the larder.
Still, had a cup today so that is a coincidence.:)

Now 7 years and 18 weeks! :)

Old threads never die.......

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't drink any sort of tea these days - and I used to work for Allied Lyons - previously Lyons Tetley.
My my sense of taste was altered after taking Metformin and a Statin. Everything tasted strange, but although I can now taste most flavours some are still not back - I can smell strawberries but not taste them, tea still has the strange taste.