Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
A big welcome to the forum from (near) Doncaster - South Yorkshire. :)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, I am not diabetic even though there is a strong family history of it, my wife Heather though was not so lucky. Two years ago she had a near fatal heart attack bought on by being an undiagnosed T2 diabetic. Two years later after lots of research we have been LCHF and she has managed to reverse it. We are now ambassadors representing Bradford for the Public Health Collaboration and knew about the the good work you guys are doing over here. Strangely enough I never realised there was a forum here (even though I have watched most of David Unwins videos) and it was only while reading diabetes unpacked and seeing an old friend from the past, Nigel Fowler mention it so thought I had better come over and say hello.

If Nigel is still on here he should recognise the username and where he knows me from lol.

Hi, great news about your wife. Yorkshire lass here, ( Sheffield) One thing that interests me - whilst many of us here, accept entirely that an LCHF diet is good for both diabetes and cardiovascular disease ( and much else) , that's really not mainstream yet and particularly for cardiovascular disease one still gets assailed with " low fat" is the answer. When you adopted LCHF did you get much push back from the cardiovascular team, or is it now becoming more accepted that LCHF works?

Reactions: Freema

Excalibur62

How nice it would be if someone would organise a low carb / diabetes conference which we could all attend. In Leeds, of course! With suitable catering.
This is happening in Skipton next month and the Rendezvous Hotel. For those that know of Verner Wheelock, he is usually there. I went to the last lunch a few weeks ago and it was very good.

Attachments

• low carb lunch.jpg
    low carb lunch.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 237

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Northerners, Southerners.... You all keep us Midlanders here busy keeping you apart. Not quite a Brummie but Londoners will insist I am because of my accent, and Americans insist I am Australian.

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My Nan had the same leg amputation from T2D. Was dreadful seeing in three time having small bits taken. I’m very careful when cutting toenails. Brummie, but spend a lot of time in Leeds/Huddersfield for work and can say the Tykes are a lovely bunch!

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from Barnsley. Well, to be precise, good morning from a Barnsley girl in Vera Playa Spain, where we are lucky enough to spend the winters, that also helps us with the walking, we aim to do 10,000 steps a day, usually along the promenade. We have been LCHF for about 5 years and regained our health in every way and restored our vitality.

Is the tide really turning? I don’t know, whilst I spend a lot of my time talking to other like minded individuals on the internet, I meet very few committed ‘low-carbers’ in real life, they all play at it, including the diabetic people I know.

Despite my very strong family history of diabetes (grandmother, father, brother, niece T1 and I don’t think I have a single over 50 family member on my father’s side of the family who is not T2) I am determined that I will remain free of this condition for ever. It is a bonus of course that the food we can eat is truly delicious and satisfying! Will I live long enough to see LCHF become the standard of care throughout the UK? Who knows?

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Interestingly I was in a rainy Barnsley last night sorry I mean rainy cold barnsley

jackors

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello from down the road in Sheffield. At the risk of reproducing the 4 Yorkshireman's sketch from Monty Python, I have a family history of T2 diabetes also. My brother who's 7 years younger than me has had it for 5 years, and it may well have been a contributing factor to a heart attack he had prior to its diagnosis.

My paternal grandfather died at 65 of a heart attack too, despite being pretty active and outwardly healthy, but he was never diagnosed with diabetes - did he have it?

I've just been diagnosed as T2 at age 58 and am going low carb, I'll see how it goes. I'm going to bring semi-retirement forward too (and accept lower income), as I definitely feel better and get lower BG if I walk the dogs for an hour after breakfast - not something I can do sat behind a desk!

Regards
Fair play to you as my dad used to say your health is your wealth money won't keep you alive good luck

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fair play to you as my dad used to say your health is your wealth money won't keep you alive good luck
I won't take too big a financial hit tbh - down from 5 x 7.5 working hr days to 3 x 9 (my employers have to agree to this thought!). But it does mean I can walk the dogs for an hour or two 4 times a week instead of 2.

But more exercise, reducing the carbs by 50%, and heavily preferring low/med GI foods will I hope get my numbers heading in the right direction.

Reactions: jackors

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning from Barnsley. Well, to be precise, good morning from a Barnsley girl in Vera Playa Spain, where we are lucky enough to spend the winters, that also helps us with the walking, we aim to do 10,000 steps a day, usually along the promenade. We have been LCHF for about 5 years and regained our health in every way and restored our vitality.

Is the tide really turning? I don’t know, whilst I spend a lot of my time talking to other like minded individuals on the internet, I meet very few committed ‘low-carbers’ in real life, they all play at it, including the diabetic people I know.

Despite my very strong family history of diabetes (grandmother, father, brother, niece T1 and I don’t think I have a single over 50 family member on my father’s side of the family who is not T2) I am determined that I will remain free of this condition for ever. It is a bonus of course that the food we can eat is truly delicious and satisfying! Will I live long enough to see LCHF become the standard of care throughout the UK? Who knows?
Well, having made a feeble start on low carb eating in late August, gradually wising up and paring down ever since, with huge help from Dr Bernstein, Jenny Ruhl and this Forum, I have talked to a few friends about diabetes and the low carb diet. Result: NHS dietician told me to go back to eating a balanced diet and let my bg rise, relying on my GP to sort it with drugs when the time came. My GP thought I was making a fuss about nothing but should take a statin for my cholesterol. One woman, diagnosed as diabetic, thought her GP was making a fuss about nothing (so you see the health professionals have their problems too). I have lost count of the friends who thought I was making a fuss about nothing, as diabetic complications take a long while to develop, at least 10 years. I may be 75, but I don't like the implication that in ten years I won't be around to experience them. So far I have never met one person who is "playing at" low carb, or even knows that such a system exists.

Reactions: 2Much_SugarShan

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Well, having made a feeble start on low carb eating in late August, gradually wising up and paring down ever since, with huge help from Dr Bernstein, Jenny Ruhl and this Forum, I have talked to a few friends about diabetes and the low carb diet. Result: NHS dietician told me to go back to eating a balanced diet and let my bg rise, relying on my GP to sort it with drugs when the time came. My GP thought I was making a fuss about nothing but should take a statin for my cholesterol. One woman, diagnosed as diabetic, thought her GP was making a fuss about nothing (so you see the health professionals have their problems too). I have lost count of the friends who thought I was making a fuss about nothing, as diabetic complications take a long while to develop, at least 10 years. I may be 75, but I don't like the implication that in ten years I won't be around to experience them. So far I have never met one person who is "playing at" low carb, or even knows that such a system exists.
Hi I've been low carb high fat for two years lost 4 stone in weight all my readings are now in range but high fat diet has pushed up my cholesterol so I am on statins reluctantly but when my cholesterol lowers to my previous reading 4.5 I will stop statins has I've now changed my diet to help with the cholesterol. I've never played with my diabetes but 17 years ago their was no information only NHS we are so lucky to have this forum! I'm also in my 70 sand would like to be around to enjoy my life with my husband. K

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was born in York and moved to Barnsley - my mother was needed to look after my diabetic grandmother, who died from complications due to uncontrolled intake of sugar and starches. My grandfather and father thought that she needed them regularly through the day and were constantly supplying tea with three sugars, cakes, biscuits and pop.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another Lancashire Lass here!
Welcome and congratulations to Heather.

kaybee327

Hi to all,

A quick hello from me, I am an exiled Brummie living in West Yorkshire (Halifax) for my sins ( which must be many :angelic: )

Diagnosed one month ago did Desmond course today.

Had a quick glance thru forum and it seems weight loss is a by-product for which I will be eternally grateful. I have been trying to loose weight for over 5 years and nothing has worked even bariatric balloon ( managed half a pound in 6 months - Is this a record ? )

Off now to work out my low carb diet

Keith