Guardian CGM inaccuracy???

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all. Anyone else got an 18 month old diagnosed T1 on the Guardian CGM and Medtronic 640g that seem to get really inaccurate readings from the CGM? Been ongoing since she's been on it, most of the time its way off. Told us she's 2.9 and she's 8.2 for example and stopped Basal. Just wondered if anyone else is experiencing the same problems? Keep getting told it's great but not for us at the moment!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I got guardian connect cgm and its amazing for accuracy.
Contact them. I suspect the metal strip is bent and not giving good readings....
I had one sensor like this, went thru evthing with them BEFORE removing sensor. Sensor was replaced.
My sensors go in fatty bit of bum cos my stomach was ruled out by the rep as being too muscly and not enough fat.

Popsmum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, my 7 year old has the same pump and sensor as you for the past 6 months. We have found it very accurate only really getting inaccurate readings when levels are changing quickly- at times the pump comes up with cheery call and ambulance messages for normal bm's but it always looks like she is coming out of a hypo.
So far her overall control (hba1c) has been lots worse on pump and sensor but I think that's only because the hospital finally believed us that her previous good control was made up of crushing lows and high spells do have dropped her insulin doses.
Speak to Medtronic as they do seem to be helpful.
Tip: order sensor well in advance. I have yet to order sensors and they not be out of stock!
Good luck
Janet

Reactions: MargueriteL

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Anyone else got an 18 month old diagnosed T1 on the Guardian CGM and Medtronic 640g that seem to get really inaccurate readings from the CGM? Been ongoing since she's been on it, most of the time its way off. Told us she's 2.9 and she's 8.2 for example and stopped Basal. Just wondered if anyone else is experiencing the same problems? Keep getting told it's great but not for us at the moment!

I use a 640 with predictive low suspend. I have had some issues with sensor accuracy and basal suspension when I'm 4 or 5 mmol higher than the sensor thinks I am.

Things to bear in mind to improve sensor accuracy would include:
  • The sensor needs 24 hours to bed in before you connect the transmitter and connect the sensor.
  • The sensor needs pretty regular calibration. Try to calibrate before each meal.
  • The sensor doesn't like being moved/knocked. Try not to site it somewhere it's going to get agitated (under a waistband) and make sure it's taped down good and proper with the Medtronic tape and with tegaderm.
For me, I found the sensors don't like being in my abdomen. If sited in my abdomen they will be wildly inaccurate and not last more than a couple of days. They do better in my lower back/bum cheek/hips.

Reactions: MargueriteL

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
To me the worst time to calibrate is around meal time when levels will rise...

I try to calibrate when I know my levels are stable...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Me too for areas. Stomach is a no no.
Can normally extend sensors too and remain fairly good for another 4-7 days. If they have trouble finding sensor more than twice a day when extended I swap.