Guess I have Diabetes

chrisnj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all

I had a routine private medical just over a week ago and the doctor was suspicious I might have diabetes and this suspicion was further backed up by the blood results, so I was told to see my GP immediately who sent me for the HbA1c test. The GP also directed me to this website for more info on diabetes. I don't now see my GP again now until 20th Feb (due to me being on holiday) but I have online access to my patient record and can see the results are in. My HbA1c = 84 mmol/mol so I think that confirms I am diabetic and I assume its type 2 as I'm 50 years old.

Following the initial scare and after reading the great info on this site, since last Thursday I've been following the LCHF diet and already seeing results from that. My weight at the medical was 97kg and down to 95kg this morning. What I'm wondering is should I buy myself a BG test kit and start testing before my next visit to the GP so I can show him or is that just being too keen!

I'm determined to do whatever I need to do to get this under control.

Thanks
Chris

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
More learned people than I will respond, but for what it's worth:

1. Your body your decision.
2. I would purchase a meter and strips.
3. Keep a food diary record all meals, snacks and drinks.
4. Test before and after each meal, you'll know then what spikes you. Then you can "Eat to your meter"
5. Keep a record of weight loss.

Armed with all the info on your consultation will show your doc you are serious about controlling your diabetes.

HTH

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did exactly the same thing, and I am down 18lb from diagnosis - my Hba1c was 91, and I go for my next bloodtest this Friday, so I am hoping for improvement. It is only 2 and 1/2 months from diagnosis, but I want to keep it synchronised with the thyroid test.
I bought a meter from Lidl, though I am a bit concerned that they come with 75 test strips and then they have to be bought from - I think - Germany, but it has shown me that my BG levels before and after eating are now normal. There are cheaper ones to buy mail order, both meter and strips, but I rather prefer to buy over the counter. It showed me that anything which stopped me losing weight also spiked my BG level, which is not surprising really, but some people can eat far more carbs than I can and still have low BG levels. It pays to check.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ditto to all the above :)
It's great you are being proactive on this and a meter is the best way to do it. Most GP's don't supply them to type 2's so lots of us have bought our own. It's not just the price of the meter it's the ongoing cost of strips and lancets. The SD Codefree works out the most economical. Here is a link with money off codes too, Tick the I am diabetic box and it takes off the VAT too.
Comment 4 on this thread
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newly-diagnosed-type-2.114143/

Reactions: chrisnj and Prem51

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @chrisnj Welcome to the forum :)

I am tagging @daisy1 for an information pack, it's useful for newly diagnosed.

It sounds like you have a great attitude to this, sadly some people choose to bury their heads in the sand, so hopefully you will see some positive results by tackling it head on, good luck ;)

Reactions: chrisnj and Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Well done for taking the bull by the horns.
If you get a meter and start testing, you will find it an invaluable tool.
But don't expect your doc to show much interest. Most of us are told that type 2 diabetics shouldn't be testing, although those of us who do find it helps us tremendously.

Last edited:

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good afternoon @chrisnj and welcome to the forum I am relatively new 3 months and have been helped and befriended and been given so much sound advice from the members here ,its the place to be,there is none better;)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
h
Hello all

I had a routine private medical just over a week ago and the doctor was suspicious I might have diabetes and this suspicion was further backed up by the blood results, so I was told to see my GP immediately who sent me for the HbA1c test. The GP also directed me to this website for more info on diabetes. I don't now see my GP again now until 20th Feb (due to me being on holiday) but I have online access to my patient record and can see the results are in. My HbA1c = 84 mmol/mol so I think that confirms I am diabetic and I assume its type 2 as I'm 50 years old.

Following the initial scare and after reading the great info on this site, since last Thursday I've been following the LCHF diet and already seeing results from that. My weight at the medical was 97kg and down to 95kg this morning. What I'm wondering is should I buy myself a BG test kit and start testing before my next visit to the GP so I can show him or is that just being too keen!

I'm determined to do whatever I need to do to get this under control.

Thanks
Chris

welcome here chrisnj
yes do buy a blood glucose meter and measure your blood glucose first thing in the morning ... gives you an impression of how well you are treating your diabetes with foods in general

and then keep away from all high spiking foods like fruits and al kinds of sugars honey and bread and pasta and rice
http://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods

if you miss fruit very much remember berries seems to be a better choice as they are very high in fibres and spike in a slower rate, some combine berries with cream as the fat also slows the spiking

about proteins eat a little under 1 gram pro kg bodyweight as protein eaten in higher amounts than what one essentially eat can be transformed by the liver into glucose as well..

Last edited:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@chrisnj - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :).
The SD Codefree Blood Glucose Meter is popular with a lot of forum members as the Test Strips are the cheapest to buy. And if you order in bulk the Test Strips are cheaper. Always state you are Diabetic for vat exemption and we use mmol/l in the UK.
Here is the website:

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose/

These are discount codes if you buy in bulk.
5 packs = 264086. 10 packs = 975833.

Reactions: abbisoo and chrisnj

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@chrisnj

Hello Chris and welcome to the forum :) Here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: chrisnj

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Chris and welcome. You should thank your GP for directing you here as you'll find far more advice and experience than you would from general NHS sources. The info Daisy has posted covers all the main areas that you need to be aware of.
Do get a meter and start testing and seeing how different foods affect your blood glucose and you'll soon learn to develop a lot of control and steadily lower the levels. I personally do not now test after every meal, though many others may do so. I just test every second day and just for one meal on that day and rotate through breakfast, lunch and dinner. By keeping a running average of my readings I can see how my overall average is going and also see which of the 3 meals tends to produce the least or greatest rise in BG and I can also see which foods I ought not to have eaten, such as the Mr Kippling lemon slice today!
Hang on in Chris - you'll soon gain control!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @chrisnj and welcome to the forum! Well done for taking action immediately to control your condition, and well done to your GP for pointing you to this forum. A lot of us on here have found that the Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating has lowered our HbA1c levels, and weight. You have done really well to lose 2 kg in a week, often it takes 3-4 weeks before people start seeing results.
With the weight loss, you will also probably be lowering your blood sugar levels, but the only way you can monitor those are by getting a meter which I also recommend you do. The SD Codefree has the cheapest strips, but I use the Accu Chek mobile. The test cartridges are dearer, but if you can afford them, it is more accurate.
Self testing is more important as a way of seeing how you are doing, and which foods affect you more. I don't think your GP will think you are being too keen, if he has pointed you to this forum he probably knows that self testing is encouraged here.
The only problem might be that he will think you will control the condition yourself and don't need HCP support - but that might not be a bad thing!

Reactions: chrisnj

chrisnj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for the responses and advice. The site says you respond quickly to posts and that's evident here, all very much appreciated.

So I have now got a tester. Thanks for the recommendations, after reading through some posts in the forum and other research I've opted for the Accu-Chek Mobile. The test cartridges are more expensive but it looks easier to transport around and to use with its lance system and not dealing with separate test strips. I'll see how it goes, I'm not the best when it comes to needles and the thought of lancing myself multiple times daily is not a great one so the easier the system the better for me! I've also invested in a blood pressure monitor as my blood pressure was measuring high but we're not sure if that's just my aversion to surgeries. Feels like I'm becoming a right hypochondriac :) I'm even considering some urine testing strips as too much sugar reported in that was what first alerted the doctor in my medical that I might be diabetic. Is that going too far?

One new question. As I'm about to go on holiday should I pack the test kit in hand luggage or is it ok for it to go in the hold luggage? What do others do with their test kit when flying?

Thanks
Chris.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what @Brunneria said
Get a meter - best advice I have ever had
Smile at the Doc, nod and shake head in all the right places, she/he probably didn't intend to direct you to this site, but 'the other one'

chrisnj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what @Brunneria said
Get a meter - best advice I have ever had
Smile at the Doc, nod and shake head in all the right places, she/he probably didn't intend to direct you to this site, but 'the other one'

What's 'the other one'? Is that the org.uk one? Just found that but not explored much there yet.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's 'the other one'? Is that the org.uk one? Just found that but not explored much there yet.
Correct! This site has a tendency to extol the virtues of LCHF, and I must admit I'm a convert. Once you get your head round the fact that 'fat does not make you fat' it is easier to follow :)
the org site sticks to the official diet mantra (the eatwell guide) which seems to have failed us these past 40 years

chrisnj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Correct! This site has a tendency to extol the virtues of LCHF, and I must admit I'm a convert. Once you get your head round the fact that 'fat does not make you fat' it is easier to follow :)
the org site sticks to the official diet mantra (the eatwell guide) which seems to have failed us these past 40 years

I see. Well I'm trying LCHF. I see its logic and the testimonies on here from people seem to prove its worth and as you say the conventional diet doesn't seem to have helped me much. I would have said that with the exception of being a big lover of chocolate and sweets (Haribo) I think I generally eat a healthy diet before and still here I am with diabetes. My biggest worry I think with the LCHF way is that I have high cholesterol in the blood tests so conventional teaching tells me the eggs and cream and butter I can now have will give me a heart attack. Evidence form people here seems to dispute this. I'm happy to take the risk and see for myself what happens! I'm also loving the flavours my LCHF food has now the fats are back in the diet.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for the responses and advice. The site says you respond quickly to posts and that's evident here, all very much appreciated.

So I have now got a tester. Thanks for the recommendations, after reading through some posts in the forum and other research I've opted for the Accu-Chek Mobile. The test cartridges are more expensive but it looks easier to transport around and to use with its lance system and not dealing with separate test strips. I'll see how it goes, I'm not the best when it comes to needles and the thought of lancing myself multiple times daily is not a great one so the easier the system the better for me! I've also invested in a blood pressure monitor as my blood pressure was measuring high but we're not sure if that's just my aversion to surgeries. Feels like I'm becoming a right hypochondriac :) I'm even considering some urine testing strips as too much sugar reported in that was what first alerted the doctor in my medical that I might be diabetic. Is that going too far?

One new question. As I'm about to go on holiday should I pack the test kit in hand luggage or is it ok for it to go in the hold luggage? What do others do with their test kit when flying?

Thanks
Chris.

I have the accu-chek nano myself and am very satisfied with it... also the fingerpricker is much better as in all other types

I buy my test Sticks here , and the kassett you need for you accu chek mobile is also available, don´t know if it is cheaper here than in the UK the price is in EURO , takes about 4-5 days to get ones orders
https://www.apo-rot.dk/index_detail...om=789389349&_filterartnr=10270545&_nav=suche

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My biggest worry I think with the LCHF way is that I have high cholesterol in the blood tests so conventional teaching tells me the eggs and cream and butter I can now have will give me a heart attack. Evidence form people here seems to dispute this. I'm happy to take the risk and see for myself what happens! I'm also loving the flavours my LCHF food has now the fats are back in the diet.

It almost seems wicked that something that tastes so good can also help lower blood glucose levels while helping weight loss doesn't it?