Gum Disease.....

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I have just returned from my first appointment with a hygenist at a hospital due to my gum disease. My gums took a turn for the worse last year after i stopped smoking. It surprised me but there is a logic to it. Also another unfortunate consequence of stopping smoking is that i started binge eating and my diabetic control went out of the window.

One thing that the hygenist told me today was quite interesting. I knew that having diabetes can contribute towards gum disease, what i did not know is that as the gums are inflamed - the body is all the time trying to fight what she called a low grade infection which can make the diabetes worse.

it seems it is a bit of a vicious circle.... makes me determined to try and get by BGs back in check. also i am pleased because we have now a plan of action and hopefully my gums will respond positively :)

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
What treatment have they given you? I have the same problem too. :thumbdown:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Interesting what they told you claymic. I had receeding gums for years and would suffer from sensitive teeth, my dentist told me it happens in uncontrolled diabetes (wasn't well controlled then) and once I got on top of my condition my gums stop receding and have had no trouble since.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Paul1976 said:
What treatment have they given you? I have the same problem too. :thumbdown:

Hi Paul

Well she showed me how to properly brush and use interdental brushes and told me not to be put off my bleeding gums.

then in a couple of months i have to undergo:
1hr session where they numb 1/2 my gums and deep clean them, then i will be given 3 days of antibiotics and then return on day 3 to do the other 1/2 of my gums...

not looking forward to it but hey ho!!

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Thanks Clay!

I will ask my dentist about having the same treatment as you as so far I've only been given co-Amoxiclav anti-biotics which didn't help and some corsydil mouthwash and told to keep brushing with a soft brush.The bleeding is a bit gruesome in the morning and seems to last a while.I've got an appointment at the end of the month to have 3 teeth extracted because they abcessed at the root and they were root canaled but it failed and now the teeth are loose!! All good fun eh? :crazy:

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Paul

i was referred by my dentist to the hospital so this treatment is going to be done there. So try and get the dentist to refer you.

Also the dentist's view can vary. i used to see one dentist at the practice and she was rubbish...the best she could suggest was a £2000 private treatment, then she went off on maternity leave and saw this other dentist and she was so honest and said it was too much work for the time they have to offer me so she referred me!!!

I see you are in the East Midlands....I am going to Glenfield hospital in Leicester.

Cheers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
claymic said:
Hi

I have just returned from my first appointment with a hygenist at a hospital due to my gum disease. My gums took a turn for the worse last year after i stopped smoking. It surprised me but there is a logic to it. Also another unfortunate consequence of stopping smoking is that i started binge eating and my diabetic control went out of the window.

One thing that the hygenist told me today was quite interesting. I knew that having diabetes can contribute towards gum disease, what i did not know is that as the gums are inflamed - the body is all the time trying to fight what she called a low grade infection which can make the diabetes worse.

it seems it is a bit of a vicious circle.... makes me determined to try and get by BGs back in check. also i am pleased because we have now a plan of action and hopefully my gums will respond positively :)

Hi claymic I too have gum disease. I gave up smoking 2 1/2 years ago and I have been type 1 for 23 years. I was told exactly the same about diabetes and smoking, smoking reduces the amount of oxygen in your body, so our gums, and other parts of our bodies are affected by this. Last year I was refered to Guys Hospital in London. My student dentist was lovely and the students work is checked by the dentist in charge. It was a little painful at times with constant cleaning and I was shown how to clean my teeth in the correct way and I still use the same technique, with ( thicker) interdental brushes and mouthwash. I dont go Guys, as I have finished. I hope it has helped, because I dont want to lose my teeth, but my gums have receeded badly over the years and that can make the teeth loose and so pockets form and bacteria can then get into the gaps :(

I hope you respond well to the action plan :) we dont want to be smacking our old gums, do we. :oops: Best wishes and I wish you lots of luck. RRB

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had the treatment now. I have to say the hygienist was brilliant and it was not too painful. I have to say when they did the left hand side of my jaw, it took more to recover. the gums were very sore. but three weeks on i have to say they dont hurt at all. i have my front teeth which are really really sensitive - even room temperature water can sometimes hurt.
but i am keeping up with the cleaning routine.

i actually have a follow up appointment in two weeks time so we will see the hygienist's verdict!!!!

ajhams

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the Government
Rain
Obnoxious people who drive cars like loonies whilst on push bike
Thanks for all the info

Im a type 1 diabetic of six years now and last week my dentist told me I have
Severe paradontal. Gum diease (which I never believe as I clean with colgate total 3 times a day and listerine mouth wash, and all I drink is water daily no sweets x smoker quit 5 days ago (before that had quit for six months but after pressure in financial matters started up again )

the dentist said they have made a appointment. But I am worried about losing me teeth...

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Re: Gum Disease..... Use Hydrogen Peroxide

My recommendation, based on my own experience of gum bleeding, is to tip the overpriced Listerine and Corsydil down the sink where it is more use as a drain freshener.

The most effective way to get rid of bleeding gums is to use Hydrogen Peroxide. It was recommended by my dentist and the first time I tried it the rinse in my mouth frothed up and I looked like I had rabies. However, that was the solution attacking and killing the bacteria. After a few days regular use, gum bleeding had virtually disappeared and my dentist commented how much better my gums looked. Its not a substitute for a good diet, brushing and flossing. You still need to do those.

You wont find Hydrogen Peroxide in the likes of Boots or Superdrug. Little demand and no profit in it. Go to your friendly local chemist (or should we call them pharmacies now?) and you will probably find a couple of dusty bottles on an out of the way shelf. I believe its normally available in 2 strengths. I get the 9% one because its about the same price as the weaker one but last longer after dilution. Always read the instructions on bottle and dilute with water as advised.

Reactions: 4 people

Sweetana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi! I'm diabetic (type 1) for 26 years and yes I too have gum disease for several years now. I've followed all my dentist recomendations about washing, flossing and brushing, I use a gum disease toothpaste, a soft brush, I too wash with Hydrogen Peroxide (yes it works better than anything else) but there's something I'd like to share with you and would love to know if someone's been through the same. Due to the gum disease I've had a couple of microsurgeries in wich I had a bit of palate's gum removed to be stitched to the gum lacking in my lower jaw. I've had these surgeries twice because I've got two lose teeth actually. These surgeries took place about 6 years ago. It's done with local anesthesia, but once that effect goes away it's the closest to Hell I've ver been - it seems that the further it heals the more it hurts and the dentist didn't prescribe me with any pain killer... So what I really want to know is, has anyone been through something like this? As I am from Portugal I guess some therapy guidelines may differ from yours. I actually check my dentist every 3 months for a complete cleaning (I am a walking anda talking bacterial plaque plant, apparently!), and I am on the verge of facing another gum surgery again because the result of the last ones I had has already gone away... He says I'm losing bone undeneath the gum... so I guess if we keep puting/stitching gum on top that won't stop the bone from disapearing... but hey who's the doctor? Not me...

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I also have gum disease, had my 1st peri dental treatment last month, got my next in 3 months. Am also looking after my diabetes SOOO much better now and it's actually amazing how much better my gums (and self in general are!) my dentist just said the usual really: "eat plenty of fruit and veg" which I am but I'm also brushing, flossing and rinsing and the results are lovely :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Louise41

I also had a micro surgery through BUPA. The pockets in my gums are really deep so my gum was cut back, exposing more tooth but making the pockets less deep. I had a plaster cast in my mouth for a couple of weeks. I didn't go back for the other three gums and the top right side where it was done is still the place I get the most problems! I do get bleeding gums too so might try the Hydrogen Peroxide. I don't have any other complications after 14 years of type one - it's all in my gums!

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hello, I also have gum disease, had my 1st peri dental treatment last month, got my next in 3 months. Am also looking after my diabetes SOOO much better now and it's actually amazing how much better my gums (and self in general are!) my dentist just said the usual really: "eat plenty of fruit and veg" which I am but I'm also brushing, flossing and rinsing and the results are lovely :)

Good oral hygiene with inter dental treatment is of prime importance - teeth n gum problems affect other organs as well.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I also have receding gums and just had a tooth removed on Thurs due to infection of gums. Despite removal gum is still infected and agony. Dentist says diabetic patients are liable to this, can't reallybe helped but to make sure I interbrush after meals and when cleaning teeth as the pockets here collect food and bacteria which will work their way in to gums.

I so wish I could have them all taken out and have falsies but can't find a dentist to do it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm so glad someone has posted this topic. I am currently having a panic attack regarding my gum disease issue. My dentist has informed me that the gum bone is eroding in my teeth and this could potentially cause tooth loss eventually I'm so worried all the time. I'm constantly brushing I'm so terrified of losing my teeth :( **** diabeties!

LPP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a type one diabetic and my mum's a dentist... You'd be surprised at the amount of people she tells to get tested for diabetes because they can't get on top of gum inflammation, and the amount of times she's right about!

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Total gum disease as far as I am concerned. Want falsies but can't get them.... Keep having to have teeth taken out as they give pain and infected... Why can't I have an end to it and have falsies? Had hotlrrible teeth for 50 years...

Loving life

Reactions: 2 people

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it helps, my wife (who's not diabetic) and I (who am) went to a new dentist for a joint check-up 6 months ago and were both told the same thing:

We weren't brushing out teeth properly, we had the clear symptoms of gum disease and we were in danger of rapidly receding gums, loosening teeth even further and eventual tooth loss. The backs of both our lower sets of teeth - which you can't see without looking through 2 mirrors - were badly stained and for some time both our sets of gums bled, often profusely, every time we brushed.

We both found that, by changing brushes, adopting the more methodical brushing technique suggested by the dentist and his instruction to brush much longer - it now takes me around 4 minutes to brush each time - the situation was transformed in less than a month. The last check-up gave us an all-clear and confirmed we had no hard or soft deposits present and the gums had firmed-up considerably. I have to say, my teeth and gums feel better and they haven't bled at all for ages, now.

I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it but we both gave up smoking in May 2013 and haven't smoked since. It's counter-intuitive, I know, but I'd heard that teeth can suffer on giving up, as the substances found in tobacco tend to kill, or at least severely inhibit, the bacteria that cause plaque and it's the plaque that then goes on to cause the problems of receding gums and loose teeth.

Now, how true that is I don't know (and I'm NOT suggesting anyone should continue or even take up smoking), but it's the only change my wife and I had in common.

Whatever the truth is, I'm very grateful to that dentist who put us straight, and taught us oldsters something that his colleagues had missed in all those years we had been going to see them.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always had crummy teeth - and used to be a smoker. Last time I went to the dentist, she said she would never have picked me as being diabetic and she almost always knows by the gum health.

Since diagnosis, I've adopted a quite strict routine - I use the interdental brushes which remove more plaque than floss, use a special floss for my bridges and also invested in a Philips Airsonic which is brilliant. I also find using an electric toothbrush makes a big difference - mine has an inbuilt timer that tells me when I've been brushing for long enough.

It's also a good idea to have cleaning done more frequently - every 6 months minimum. Every 3 months would probably be even better.