Gum Disease.....

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
I also have a gum infection which my dentist tells me theres nothing she can do to prevent it.The only course of action open to me is to have all my teeth pulled the gum disease is too far advanced.Ive not got many left as it is.Over the years they have gone decayed despite cleaning twice per day etc.I told her that if they do all have to come out thats fine but id rather it was done at the hospital preferably under a general anaesthetic rather than ***** foot around doing em one at a time.She cant even use fillings.My gums have started to receed since i gave up smoking in January 2013.She referred me for an Xray and when i take the results to her on Thursday she will take it from there and sort the red tape etc.Might as well get shut of em and get some falsies and end the countless trips to the dentist and the expense of bus fares.Luckily i dont pay for my treatment.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a mouth full of fillings and a brilliant dentist who keeps patching them up as best as possible. Unfortunately there is only so much he can do and finally had to have one out about a month ago. Fortunately the socket is healing nicely.

My main problems stems from a resistance to local anathetic and the fact that when I was a child I did have a sweet tooth and every time I needed a filling I mentally over ride the anathetic and it hurt like hell. Eventually a mix of vallium, gas and injections meant that the work could be done, but by then the damage was done as the fillings I had, had had to be patch jobs sometimes leaving a bit of decay under them. Not the dentists fault I will add, when he had given me over 4 injections to try and do one filling.

When I had the tooth extracted I was referred to a clinic that does IV sedation. Still uses local injections but stopped me overriding it. Just meant I was off work for two days as you can hardly do anything for 24 hours and have to be supervised throughout that time.

Fortunately I have had very little problem with gum disease, I've probably only had antibiotics a couple of times for tooth infections (fingers crossed and touching wood). Never tried Peroxide for gums but I do use it regularly for cleaning any small wound (cat scratches and thorn punctures particularly) as I always have it in as it is my contact lens cleaning solution. For a mouth wash I have always been advised and swear by warm salt water. Doesn't taste great but has seemed to work for me, and is always available.

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

I am very scarred of dentists ..well the needle more ...want to have a tooth out ...I am working towards it ..
I have experienced inflamed gums quite a bit ....I did not think the old fashioned way of gargling my mouth with warm salt water would help but it did ..I was amazed ....if only it worked every time ....perhaps I was just lucky ...
I am going to keep it up ....I will try anyway ...

Oooo sorry Ruth , just read your post ...sorry I doubled up on the salt ...
I am so dentist phobic ....I have bitten dentists fingers before ....I always warn them though ...but I am better than I used to be ....

Last edited:

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Kat
Gum infection can get into the bloodstream and cause other problems, some serious. Can I suggest that you become strong and get them fixed a s,a,p ?
My gums are now OK but from some problems I had a while back I now have to have 3 grams of antibiotics before I have even have my teeth cleaned.

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Kat
Gum infection can get into the bloodstream and cause other problems, some serious. Can I suggest that you become strong and get them fixed a s,a,p ?
My gums are now OK but from some problems I had a while back I now have to have 3 grams of antibiotics before I have even have my teeth cleaned.
Hi Alan , Thank you for support , I had a great dentist who has now left :(
I had trust ..had a filling without needles ...I was brave ...
I have seen a hospital consultant dentist ...who,will remove my tooth , it is not infected this one ....it causes me other problems , it was after a fall , just before I became diagnosed I was fainting a lot ...hurt my face in a fall a fainting fall ...
This is a tooth which has another tooth underneath it an over lap ...I want it removed , but I don't feel brave ...they can't do IV because of other problems ....I am trying ... Have been told that a bridge can be built to even the other tooth ...need to find out more ...the nice consultant NHS said it would take 3 mins ....but I am very scarred ....

You are so right about links with gums and other health conditions ....it is worrying ....
I think you are very brave I will get there ...

K

Kat100

Thx Kat
We'll support you if we,can"
Hi Alan ! Thank you , I recently saw a new dentist had a check,up coped with that ..hence the referral to NHS dentist consultant ...
I am so scarred of the whole thing ..but I know the procedure just frightens me so much ...
I have been offered an appointment November December or January ...
I worry about the whole thing ...
But I have to do it I know that ...
I understand healing will take a time and the front gum will have to heal ...can cope with that , it's the doing it part ...
Thanks for support Alan , just talking is support ...best wishes ...Kat

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am kind of odd in my dental phobia, I am terrified of going, but terrified of what will happen if I don't go more. The best thing for me was the old fashioned laughing gas, I actually had some fillings done just using that without the need for injections it worked so well. Unfortunately they kept tightening up the regulations needed for its use that it is almost impossible to find anyone that uses it anymore, my own dentist has had to give it up recently, hence the referral for IV sedation

Kat, don't worry about repeating the salt thing, you are only backing up what i had said.

I'll be thinking of you when you go to have the tooth out, I know how you feel.

djavs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Gum Disease..... Use Hydrogen Peroxide

My recommendation, based on my own experience of gum bleeding, is to tip the overpriced Listerine and Corsydil down the sink where it is more use as a drain freshener.

The most effective way to get rid of bleeding gums is to use Hydrogen Peroxide. It was recommended by my dentist and the first time I tried it the rinse in my mouth frothed up and I looked like I had rabies. However, that was the solution attacking and killing the bacteria. After a few days regular use, gum bleeding had virtually disappeared and my dentist commented how much better my gums looked. Its not a substitute for a good diet, brushing and flossing. You still need to do those.

You wont find Hydrogen Peroxide in the likes of Boots or Superdrug. Little demand and no profit in it. Go to your friendly local chemist (or should we call them pharmacies now?) and you will probably find a couple of dusty bottles on an out of the way shelf. I believe its normally available in 2 strengths. I get the 9% one because its about the same price as the weaker one but last longer after dilution. Always read the instructions on bottle and dilute with water as advised.

hi am new to forum..

recently i have had bleed gums, in the morning when i get up am spitting blood again i drink pletny of water through the night but still have the issue.

would you recommend buying this or have a link to somewhere I can buy it
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/hydrogen-peroxide-solution-3-10-vols/prd-h9n

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
hi am new to forum..

recently i have had bleed gums, in the morning when i get up am spitting blood again i drink pletny of water through the night but still have the issue.

would you recommend buying this or have a link to somewhere I can buy it
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/hydrogen-peroxide-solution-3-10-vols/prd-h9n
Hi and welcome to the forum

I'd recommend seeing your dentist for a check up and advice, as they are the experts on how to manage gum disease.

djavs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum

I'd recommend seeing your dentist for a check up and advice, as they are the experts on how to manage gum disease.
thanks, Dentist just said brush lightly and floss....which i do but my gums always bleed

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
thanks, Dentist just said brush lightly and floss....which i do but my gums always bleed
You might want to see another dentist, as they should be doing more than that for you. My dentist has told me I need to have my teeth professionally cleaned by a dental hygienist every 6 months. It's important to stop progression of gum disease because if left untreated, it can eventually lead to all your teeth having to be removed. A previous dentist never told me this and my teeth are now loose. My current dentist alerted me to the problem and we are doing everything we can to treat it.

Reactions: 2 people

Deandrade

Yes, I've ground my teeth for many years. The only way out of it is the night guard. I would save up for it. I know this isn't what you want to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this thread. I had no idea about diabetes being a gum disease risk.

I had an appointment with the dentist and hygienist earlier this year, and afterwards - with my teeth feeling just soon lovely without that horrid 'rough' feeling - I talked to them both in great length about a plan of action for proper, proper cleaning to keep them tip-top. I always lapsed into laziness with my brushing about two weeks after each appointment - then wondering why I was having sore gums and rough backs-of-teeth yet again - anyway, not any more.....

I've got into a proper habit of proper, proper brushing (electric toothbrush and Te-Pe interdental brush - then manual brush just to keep my hand in), and my mouth has never felt better. Aiming too to keep my control tip-top too, to avoid more problems in the future. There are a couple of things my dentist needs to keep an eye on, but I hope it's going to be okay.

Glad to have found this thread.

:)

Digger-i-doo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this thread. I had no idea about diabetes being a gum disease risk.

I had an appointment with the dentist and hygienist earlier this year, and afterwards - with my teeth feeling just soon lovely without that horrid 'rough' feeling - I talked to them both in great length about a plan of action for proper, proper cleaning to keep them tip-top. I always lapsed into laziness with my brushing about two weeks after each appointment - then wondering why I was having sore gums and rough backs-of-teeth yet again - anyway, not any more.....

I've got into a proper habit of proper, proper brushing (electric toothbrush and Te-Pe interdental brush - then manual brush just to keep my hand in), and my mouth has never felt better. Aiming too to keep my control tip-top too, to avoid more problems in the future. There are a couple of things my dentist needs to keep an eye on, but I hope it's going to be okay.

Glad to have found this thread.

:)

My mother and I, who both work to keep our blood sugar under control, have teeth and gum issues despite our dedicated brushing and flossing and dentist visits. Dad, on the other hand, isn't diabetic and only visits the dentist every few years and has no problems whatsoever.

I've got the electric toothbrush, have been flossing daily for decades, but still have bouts of inflammation and pockets that the hygienist keeps an eye on. I've had extensive gum grafting surgery too. The first round they took it from the palate and it required two or three separate surgeries. Awful. Then a couple of years ago I had another grafting, this time using donor tissue. Which is a bit creepy when you think about it, but was less painful than taking it from the palate and looks much better. I also appreciated the fact that they knocked me out. I'll never forget the first gum grafting surgery, in which I was awake but numbed. They gave me an mp3 player with the idea that music would soothe me, but their selection was questionable given the circumstances. Tina Turner's "We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome)" provided the soundtrack for the roof of my mouth being sliced off and stitched back to my bottom row of teeth. Good times.

Anyways, interesting how all these health issues are related!

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
I had all mine out in January and once my mouth had settled i was fine and declined dentures i have a low tolerance to things in my mouth other than food. Makes me heave so i thought as i was managing to eat properly and solid foods why bother putting myself through all that needlessly. It means i can't go to such as Macdonalds for a burger well i could but it means breaking the burger up and in any case Macdonalds and diabetics dont go together. I stopped going in their when i became diabetic. Im lucky at the moment im borderline and able to manage with diet alone. At least i won't ever get plagued with tooth ache any more thats a boon and dont need a dentist either. Hopefully my gums will behave and if i do have problems then i know where the dentist is. :)