1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Guy at hospital says I'm not normal !

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by librarising, Nov 2, 2017.

1. librarising

librarising LADA · Well-Known Member

I have posted before that some time next year I'm due for an aortic valve replacement, to correct Aortic Stenosis. A pre-op check-up at Harefield flagged a low platelet count of 108, triggering a letter to my GP asking for an urgent referral to a Haemotologist for investigation. That happened this afternoon.
    Although I'm due back in 3 weeks (bloods today and 3 weeks time) he suspects there's nothing to worry about.
    My count was below range 13 years ago (and has been since). He thinks I'm simply the one person in twenty for whom the normal range doesn't apply.
    In the meanwhile he's asked me to abstain from alcohol and any vitamin supplementation.
    Life could be tougher.

I'm just relieved to know I'm not normal ;)
    Geoff

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

I think many of us are the one person in 20 to whom normal ranges of anything don't apply. :) Normal for you is normal.

Fingers crossed all goes well for you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. librarising

Thanks @Bluetit1802. I'll let everyone know when I have a date. It's the week of hospital food I'm not looking forward to :wtf::arghh::stop:
    Geoff

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

Leave lists for your family to bring in for you. I had to do that when I was incarcerated - and I wasn't even diabetic then. :yuck:

• Like Like x 2
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod · Moderator
    Staff Member

@librarising - I have an agreement with my OH that if I have to go into dry dock for any more than an overnight stay, he will bring me food parcels.

Having visited someone in hospital a couple of months ago, around a mealtime, what shocked me most was the beige-ness (literally) of their meal.

Could your wife/partner bring you in food?

I hope it all goes well for you.

6. librarising

Thank you @DCUKMod. It appears I may be worrying unnecessarily :
    "The food at Harefield Hospital was awarded a rating of 'excellent' in the 2010 PEAT (Patient Environment Action Team) assessment."
    http://www.rbht.nhs.uk/patients/harefield/food/
    Geoff

7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod · Moderator
    Staff Member

I've just had a peep at the link. Apparently if you are GF, you should take in enough bread etc to last you until the ordering system catches up.

It's a shame the menu booklet they suggest every bad has isn't published to ensure you'll be catered for. I appreciate you'r likely a "normal eater", so it might all be a moot point for you.

I hope it all works out well.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook