Gym Advice

fionajo

Hi, I was diagnosed a week ago with type 1. I use the NovoMix 30 flex pen for insulin twice a day (once before breakfast and then before dinner).

I had started going to the gym before being diagnosed doing a mixture of walking and jogging on the treadmill trying to work up to jogging for 30 mins and using the cross trainer. I am worried about going back but plan to on Monday. I usually go first thing in the morning, get up at 6.30 and go straight there for 7 without eating. My DN did advise having a small glass of pure orange juice before I go. It might seem like a stupid question but would i take my insulin before i went or when i came back home and had my breakfast?

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I'd guess your DN meant you to take the injection with your breakfast if that's what you normally do. The glass of orange juice is a seperate precaution to stop your blood sugar from going low when you're at the gym.

I use a different insulin though, so there may be people out there with a better understanding.

I'm sure you'll get more answers before tomorrow though... so you can go to the gym on Friday! Always the best day, as everyone else seems to take a break that day 8)

Sam.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi texassmart.
Welcome.

Stick to Liposuction. :(

A glass of Orange Juice to a Diabetic can make a HUGE difference. :lol:

Edited: Today 1509 hrs. Texassmart appears to have taken my advice and vanished.
No longer with us !! :(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Whatever you decide to do
Keep checking your Bg regularly, so you know what's happening.

fionajo

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I will take the oj before I go and then take my insulin when I get back and have my breakfast. I'm sure it will be fine, I'm going to take it easy and like you say keep checking my bg.

Thanks again

Fiona

yipster29

Hi
Only been at this game couple of months myself and was massively paranoid at going back to the gym!
Definately injection with breakfast I'd say and orange juice before as precaution.
I was advised by my DN to check blood before exercise and ensure at least 10 before starting. When I've done that I've dropped back to 5 - 6 ish quickly so works for me. Just make sure you've done something to elevate a bit before you go in.

Good luck!! Maybe if you don't have the energy on that routine you'll need to consider changing to breakfast 1st with less insulin then gym?

Cath :D x

fionajo

Hi again, managed to go to the gym this morning at last. Had a morning reading of 9.8 and debated whether to take some orange juice before I went as I thought I might be ok but in the end decided to have some and my bs count was then 12.8. Worked out for 30mins, worked up a wee sweat but bs was only 12.3 after working out. Have been home for 20 mins now and the reading is now 17.3!!

If I have a similar reading tomorrow morning when i wake up should i just forget about the orange juice and see how it goes?

Thanks

Fiona

LizzieP

Hi there,

I'm not sure I would exercise in the morning on a totally empty stomach. I could be wrong (anyone?) but I think that can cause a rise in blood sugar. Have you thought about having your breakfast before you go to the gym? This can help with the 2 hour post prandial reading. I am usually about 5.5-6 first thing in the morning. I have a piece of wholegrain toast, take my insulin and about half an hour later I do a brisk 3.5 mile walk. My 2 hour number is nearly always the same as my fasting if I do this. If you do your b'fast and excersise this way round, then you will need to experiment with your insuline dose. I find that I need about half my usual amount before embarking on my long march!

I think Yipster has the same idea:

Good luck!! Maybe if you don't have the energy on that routine you'll need to consider changing to breakfast 1st with less insulin then gym?

fionajo

Hi and thanks for your replies.

Early morning is the most ideal time for me to work out. I need to be back home at 8 to get my son ready for school and myself ready for work. I like to get it over and done with in the morning and feel good for the rest of the day. I think I will try and get up at 6 tomorrow and have some breakfast first and see how I get on with that.

Cheers :D