Had a hypo episode on Friday

kathiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone I had my first severe hypo on Friday hubby called paramedics as I was unresponsive.Sugar level was 2! But after a couple of hours it was normal after food. However I still feel headachy and have no energy sugar level was 4.6 am fasting today and I am type 2 on insulin humalog 25. Has anyone else gone through this and how long did it take to recover?

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had quite a severe one for me. In the shower! Fortunately I recognise the signs of one coming but it is scary. I was 2.8! I always feel tired and want to sleep for about 24 hours after that. Glad your hubby was there to help.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi sorry to here you had a bad hypo event I myself have had a few of them over the years lucky enough I'm hypo aware shaking sweating etc and yes it does leave you with headache and feeling rotten but these will pass are you hypo aware was it first thing in morning or during the day?Hope you feel better soon.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone I had my first severe hypo on Friday hubby called paramedics as I was unresponsive.Sugar level was 2! But after a couple of hours it was normal after food. However I still feel headachy and have no energy sugar level was 4.6 am fasting today and I am type 2 on insulin humalog 25. Has anyone else gone through this and how long did it take to recover?

A bad hypi can make you feel rough for a day or so. Take things easy, test lots and perhaps give your diabetes nurse a ring tomorrow. It may be your insulin dose needs adjusting.

Can you think of any reason for the hypo? Eg eating less than normal, a delayed meal, exercise, etc?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
sorry to hear you had a bad hypo. I've been 2 before and it feels awful alright. I find the lower I go on the meter the longer it takes me to recover. I hope you feel better soon... also glad to hear your hubby helped out.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I call them hypo hangovers. And yes, the lower your go, the worse the hangover.

Glad you got the bg back under control. Are you feeling better? I usually expect to feel quite a bit better by the next morning, but can feel 'not right' for 2-3 days, depending on how bad (low) it was.