Had gestational diabetes now I’m type 2

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My son is 13 months old I had gestational diabetes with him which went after he was born. I had my yearly random glucose- then done a fasting one and both were high. Told yesterday I definitely have type 2 but borderline type 1 having additional blood test today to confirm.

Hard enough being pregnant with it let alone chasing a 1 year old round haha. Where do I start with it all. Ps was on insulin 4x a day 12 units each. ATM just on metformin and another tablet with checks through the day

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son is 13 months old I had gestational diabetes with him which went after he was born. I had my yearly random glucose- then done a fasting one and both were high. Told yesterday I definitely have type 2 but borderline type 1 having additional blood test today to confirm.

Hard enough being pregnant with it let alone chasing a 1 year old round haha. Where do I start with it all. Ps was on insulin 4x a day 12 units each. ATM just on metformin and another tablet with checks through the day

Hi Spage - Until you have clarification on the type of diabetes you have it might be wisest to take your prescribed meds and to plenty of test readings. The blood sugar readings will give you a real insight and some data to work on when it's clear which direction your treatment will take in the longer term.

Please do make sure you are recording your results, and it would also be informative to record everything you eat and drink. That data will be, in my view, priceless when it comes to formulating a longer term plan.

Don't be too concerned at this stage if the test results are higher than you would prefer; most are at the point of diagnosis, although if they go very high indeed (say 20?), then take serious note and contact your GP or whomever is advising you about your diabetes

Hopefully the results of those additional tests won't take too long to come back.

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Spage - Until you have clarification on the type of diabetes you have it might be wisest to take your prescribed meds and to plenty of test readings. The blood sugar readings will give you a real insight and some data to work on when it's clear which direction your treatment will take in the longer term.

Please do make sure you are recording your results, and it would also be informative to record everything you eat and drink. That data will be, in my view, priceless when it comes to formulating a longer term plan.

Don't be too concerned at this stage if the test results are higher than you would prefer; most are at the point of diagnosis, although if they go very high indeed (say 20?), then take serious note and contact your GP or whomever is advising you about your diabetes

Hopefully the results of those additional tests won't take too long to come back.

Thankyou for your reply. Yess will defiantly be writing everything down. I started the tablets this morning. My fasting test straight after wake was 14 then hour after breakfast was 18.5. I only had a bowl of porridge with tea no sugar which is normal but then 4 hours after breakfast I checked and it was 10. Not due lunch for over an hour before t starting to feel weak like normal really but stupidly forgot my snack. Should I be swapping foods or anything yet I’m due to se the doctor next week to see where we are going. Or do I eat normally obviously minimising the carbs a bit?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou for your reply. Yess will defiantly be writing everything down. I started the tablets this morning. My fasting test straight after wake was 14 then hour after breakfast was 18.5. I only had a bowl of porridge with tea no sugar which is normal but then 4 hours after breakfast I checked and it was 10. Not due lunch for over an hour before t starting to feel weak like normal really but stupidly forgot my snack. Should I be swapping foods or anything yet I’m due to se the doctor next week to see where we are going. Or do I eat normally obviously minimising the carbs a bit?

To be honest, if you are seeing your Doc next week, I'd say it's very much up to you, and you might gather more useful information, for both you and your Doc, by continuing as you normally would.

If you turn out to be T2, and find yourself looking towards tweaking your diet, you will already have some clues about foods that make your bloods rise quite a bit, but if you end up as T1, then the records of what you have been eating + bloods, could help formulate a plan for what meds/support changes you might need to make.

Others are likely to have contrary views to me, but for me, starting point data was really useful to me.

I needed to make some dietary changes when diagnosed, but at least having seen a few bigger numbers I had a clue where to start.

Annoyingly, we each react a bit differently to our foods/approach, and I had to give up some things others were able to continue to eat, and vice versa. It didn't make sense to me to go at it blind.

Were you waiting a longer time to see your Doc, I might have responded a bit differently.

Good luck with it all. Like any change, it takes a while to get our heads around things and work out what works best for us, but it's very do-able.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I hope you get the answers soon, it isn't the end of the world and can be the beginning of a better way of life.... though probably doesn't look like it now.