Hair loss due to Type 2 Diabetes?

vjykmr89

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes Sept 2004. My hair was thick back then, but over the past 6 months, every time I brush my hair, there's a lot of hairs in the brush. Has anyone else experienced hair loss dur to their Diabetes? Should I tell my doctor about the hair loss at my next appointment?

Just for the record, I'm 54 yrs old. Only one member of my immediate family experienced hair loss, but he did so over a 40 yr span.

[link removed]

Fraddycat

Interesting .. I noticed that my hair was thinning around about the time I was diagnosed with type 2, it got really bad for a while. I thought at the time it was stress related, and my hair dresser suggested vitamin B supplements. I understand that metformin can block the absorbtion of nutrients so now I take a multivitamin with B vits in it every day along with my meds.

I have no idea whether its because I have better control over my BG or whether its because I take the multi vit but slowly, slowly my hair has got thicker.

B

badcat

Mine regained some of its curl after diagnosis but no thinning. Thyroid problems seem to be a risk factor for T2 diabetics and that can cause hair thinning - might be worth have TSH / T3 and T4 levels checked at your next blood test

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
are you on a statin these can cause hair loss.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Metformin can cause hair loss, so can statins, so can some BP meds (eg Lisinopril), so can an under-active thyroid. GPs tend to be most unsympathetic.

Zinc is supposed to help with hair and nails, as is the Vit B group.

I'm starting a new fashion for baldness in women. Anyone remember the Deltan officer in "Star Trek - The Movie"? She was gorgeous!

And about 40 years younger than me :crazy: :wink:

Nor was the right-hand side of her face 20 years older than the left!

Apart from that, I'm fine. Just gotta keep a sense of humour :(

Viv 8)

Reactions: SimonCrox

rtee

This is really interesting. I thought it was 'male pattern baldness' which I know affected my Aunt and I never knew my Father with hair.
Having read this I realise that my hair started thinning when I was told I was 'pre-diabetic' . Maybe I should consider vit B supplements too. :think:

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
Yes it's one of the things that can happen. I have had a small bald patch and also a small patch that has thinned. It has grown back both times. High Blood Sugar levels compromise the circulation to the hair follicles.

Reactions: 3 people

Sever

I also thought my thinning hair was down to stress my gp is always abrupt with me so i stopped asking him anything and google instead , (so happy i found this forum my gp is useless) i will also start taking vitamin b because my hair is so thin at the top my scalp shows through but the rest of my hair is thick 0.0

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I have no hope at the moment then, lol.

Have noticed my hair is a lot thinner now than at the beginning of the year. However, going through the menopause and on my last diabetic check up they found I was anaemic as well! Went for loads of tests, cameras, etc but they didnt find anything and have now been put on iron tablets for the next six months. So between diabetes, menopause and anaemia its no wonder my hair is thinning. :lol:

SweetHeart

googlegoss said:
Well I have no hope at the moment then, lol.

Have noticed my hair is a lot thinner now than at the beginning of the year. However, going through the menopause and on my last diabetic check up they found I was anaemic as well! Went for loads of tests, cameras, etc but they didnt find anything and have now been put on iron tablets for the next six months. So between diabetes, menopause and anaemia its no wonder my hair is thinning. :lol:

Take out the diabetes (I leave that to him...) and add stress-induced depression and hypothyroidism to that equation and there's no hope for me either! My hair had only just started to recover from years and years of hypothyroidism too......and now it's falling out fast. The GPs want me to take very low dosage anti-depressants (I was against it, but something has to be done now my family are affected by my depression) and I'm coming around to the idea...maybe that will help by lessening the stress.

I'm sure my tresses will recover eventually!

Ju

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ju, am sure that taking tablets in the short term will help. I hope they do.

Terridstatham

Mine regained some of its curl after diagnosis but nothing. Thyroid problems seem to be a risk factor for T2 diabetics and that can cause hair thinning. Lets hope for the best.

anandchopra

Always try to go for the natural hair growth products for any kind of issues related to hair. Natural products are mostly trouble-free and free from any kind of chemicals and synthetics. This is one of the most important aspects for good health of our hair. However, there are also commercial products which are equally capable of providing very good results.

[commercial link removed]

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Bald as a coot since my mid 20's, saves a fortune on trips to the barbers.

I have noticed my leg hair isn't quite has dense as it was but the nose and ear hair certainly makes up for it.

I think it may just be an age thing for me ;)

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
I am a woman and so hair loss is I feel more upsetting. I am hypothyroid and have been taking Levothyroxine for 30 years and diagnosed type 2 diabetic 5 years ago but I do feel that my hair loss/thinning really started when I went on Simvastatin. I am now on Fenofibrate instead and am currently using Alpecin shampoo and liquid, too early to tell results yet

dia21

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes Sept 2004. My hair was thick back then, but over the past 6 months, every time I brush my hair, there's a lot of hairs in the brush. Has anyone else experienced hair loss dur to their Diabetes? Should I tell my doctor about the hair loss at my next appointment?

Just for the record, I'm 54 yrs old. Only one member of my immediate family experienced hair loss, but he did so over a 40 yr span.

[link removed]

Yes you must tell your doctor about this hair loss. Hair loss is a certain thing in Type 2 diabetes. These are main cause of Hair loss
1.This is due to when the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin to control glucose levels, or body cells become resistant to insulin. This may result to hair loss
2. Oral Medication is also the main cause of Hair loss.
3. Auto immune disorder is also cause of hair loss. At this stage your body immune system loss its power to beat with diseases.

garywilkinson

Scalp Esthetica Bad SMP Toronto. Horrible Experience What do I do?

Im not really totally bald just thinning and Tino barbone, aka T-bone from Scalp Esthetica in Toronto told me that he would be able to add extra density to my hair. After the scalp micropigmentation treatment my head was red for the first day so i couldnt see the results until the reddness went away. when it was gone my head had massive blue dots all over it. Missing spots ever where. It looks like dark blue you can see the pictures for yourself. I played a lot of money and was really looking forward to it. The pics looks really nice on the Internet. Over all very insatisfieded . It looks like s***. I am very up set scalp esthetica and tino barbone ruined my life. Any advice on what to do. how much will it cost fix or do i need to do laser removal and will it hurt? any help is appreciated i am depressed and afraid to show my face in public until its fixed.

Attachments

• gary-wilkinson-bad-smp-scalpesthetica.JPG
    gary-wilkinson-bad-smp-scalpesthetica.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 14,568

aidy58

Type of diabetes
Type 2

[link removed]

[link removed]
I have a good head of hair and it grows very quickly. When I was diagnosed with Type 2 I noticed that the hairs on my arms and legs were disappearing, but only lost about half the hairs on my legs, the hairs on my arms are completely gone. I am on Testosterone gel at present and have noticed a few hairs appearing on my arms and also on my legs. Although the doctor originally told me its the medication I am taking that caused my hair loss.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't expect to see this thread in here but here is my story (brief)

About 3 months AFTER my diagnoses as a T1D i noticed a lot of hair loss, after seeing many doctors and having many tests it was diagnosed as 'Stress'. Stress hair loss occurs MONTHS after your body is put through a lot of stress - in my case a long period of high blood sugars. Once this stress occurs it puts more then the usual amount of hair into its 'resting phase' which results in the hair falling out 4-6 weeks later.

If you think back to your BS levels, are your BS higher then what is considered normal ? If YES then it could be that you are stressing your system with high BS and its causing hair loss. The only way to stop this is to lower yourself back into the normal range and keep it there.

Reactions: 2 people

dagringo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 months ago (female) and now my hair is coming out at an alarming . Don't know what to do. I am taking multivitamins.Any more ideas