Hair loss due to Type 2 Diabetes?

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 months ago (female) and now my hair is coming out at an alarming . Don't know what to do. I am taking multivitamins.Any more ideas

When this happened to me i was told by my doctor that the hair loss NOW was due to high blood sugars MONTHS AGO. Your hair coming out may not be a result of anything you are doing now, and you may just have to wait it out and if your sugars are normal and stay normal then it should stop and grow back.

The hair loss may be from the stress your body went through months ago before diagnosis. This high stress caused your hair to go into their 'resting' phase early which means that they will fall out early. It is essentially loss from stress.

If the stress has been relieved (ie - your sugars are now normal) then all you can do is wait for those hairs to all fall out, and then do your best to stay healthy so that they can regrow.

I would still be sure to see a doctor to make sure it is not a different issue, as hair loss can be a sign of other aliments so you should see a doctor.

My story ended with all the hairs falling out over a month or so following my diagnosis and then growing back, and now I have no hair issues, all back to normal.. So if you have what i had it should be fine over time.

Odette48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, Exercise and getting old
I was diagnosed last June type 2 with hba1c of 51, managed to lose nearly two stone and my last 3 hba1c results have been 38, so quite pleased with myself thinking I can manage this, (except the last couple of weeks really struggling to leave the carbs alone - but that's another issue). I knew my hair was thinning a little bit on top but put it down to putting it up a lot in a clip when I was younger, also my mum colours it for me and has said on several occasions its thinning a bit. I was in complete denial as I am always known by everyone has 'her with all the hair' which is (or shall I say was) thick and curly. This last week or say the truth has hit home and my hair has probably halved on the top part of my scalp and the forehead hairline. I have just spent a couple of days in tears and feel sick about it, and also googled like mad in the hope it is not permanent. I am on 3 x 500mg of Metformin. Is it the medication, which I am now thinking of stopping because of this or is it the uncontrolled blood sugar Levels before I was diagnosed or is it the change in diet and the weight loss (Which was very gradual stone and half in 8 months) or is it menopause? Feel so desperate now and hope signing up to this website will help me feel I am not alone. I have ordered multi-vits for menopause and caffeine /biotin shampoo & conditioner and gel, here's hoping !!!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I was diagnosed last June type 2 with hba1c of 51, managed to lose nearly two stone and my last 3 hba1c results have been 38, so quite pleased with myself thinking I can manage this, (except the last couple of weeks really struggling to leave the carbs alone - but that's another issue). I knew my hair was thinning a little bit on top but put it down to putting it up a lot in a clip when I was younger, also my mum colours it for me and has said on several occasions its thinning a bit. I was in complete denial as I am always known by everyone has 'her with all the hair' which is (or shall I say was) thick and curly. This last week or say the truth has hit home and my hair has probably halved on the top part of my scalp and the forehead hairline. I have just spent a couple of days in tears and feel sick about it, and also googled like mad in the hope it is not permanent. I am on 3 x 500mg of Metformin. Is it the medication, which I am now thinking of stopping because of this or is it the uncontrolled blood sugar Levels before I was diagnosed or is it the change in diet and the weight loss (Which was very gradual stone and half in 8 months) or is it menopause? Feel so desperate now and hope signing up to this website will help me feel I am not alone. I have ordered multi-vits for menopause and caffeine /biotin shampoo & conditioner and gel, here's hoping !!!
I have the same problem Odette48. I began Metformin five months ago upon diagnosis, and, like you, take three 500mg per day. It's really only the past couple of weeks that I have noticed how much hair I'm losing, and mine has always been fine hair ... never thick. When I rinse my hair after washing, it comes out in clumps and is pretty scary to say the least!
I wish I knew if it is the Metformin or not?
Does anyone else know the answer to this I wonder?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After a few weeks on Metformin and Atorvastatin my hair was filling the brush every morning and evening. That was at the start of 2017 and it hasn't grown back even though I binned the tablets at the end of 2016. My hair is so thin now, but at least all the other side effects seem to have faded away - except I still can't drink tea, but I think that is more mental than physical - tasting things for Allied Lyons used to be my profession

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Definitely worth bumping this thread. When I told my meanie family that my thinning hair was due to diabetes, they laughed! Yeah, right!
I don't yet look like my avatar though.