Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all.
From time to time , my hair roots get so tender and painfull .
Am wondering IF the insulin I take can cause this?
Anyone else ever had this tooo ?
If 'not' it must be my hormones eh. . . :p
Anna.

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
Really I cant imagine it is anything to do with diabetes, I have it too sometimes and always have, often if I sleep with my hair sticking in the wrong direction.
Sharon

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a sign that the hair needs a wash!

Shampoo the hair twice to achieve a soft bubbly lather and rinse well. Hair should feel squeaky clean when all the lather has been rinsed out.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Ambersilva said:

Shampoo the hair twice to achieve a soft bubbly lather and rinse well. Hair should feel squeaky clean when all the lather has been rinsed out.

Really? Why would your hair "need to be washed"? It'd probably be happier coated in its natural oils than washed in nasty chemicals.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
borofergie said:
Ambersilva said:

Really? Why would your hair "need to be washed"? It'd probably be happier coated in its natural oils than washed in nasty chemicals.

The roots of the hair are stuck in a position that they are not used to and become painful. The act of washing the hair and massaging the scalp stimulates the blood circulation to the scalp and relieves the discomfort.

If you are worried about harsh shampoos containing nasty chemicals, use a shampoo free from Laureth Sodium Sulfate.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My hair does this if I try to "dress" it to where it doesn't want to go.
Hana

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it feels like your hair's been pulled in the wrong direction, even if you haven't done anything with it, then it's likely to be a seborrhoeic dermatitis. If you also get little spots on your scalp as well, then it's almost certainly this. I have the condition and find tea tree shampoo and conditioner to be the best thing to treat it and keep it away.

Jo

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
it could be a medical condition - so it's best to see your doctor and get it diagnosed. Self-care treatments can be harmful if you don't know what the condition is.

Google "Allodynia" - it's a condition where the skin is painful for no apparent reason. It's to do with the way pain signals are processed in your brain. I get this from time to time, and it can make my hair roots sore.

Please get your symptoms diagnosed, but also if taking a simple painkiller like paracetamol regularly helps (and is safe for you) that's a good thing. Pain should be managed, not put up with.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All...
Went to doc's with this one!
Have to massage head upside down to stimulate my hair roots...
Always have washed my hair every 2 days when shower and massaged shampoo in my hair well too.
Have to say noticed since hanging head upside down and towel dry vigorously it has improved a lot.
Even though "still" after my insulin shots 4-5hrs later the itchy sore roots start again sometimes... :thumbdown:
Doc says yep it can be my insulin triggering this off, as it only happens few hours after a shot.
I just make a mental note to stand with my head upside down and massage scalp vigorously next day!
He said it possibly was to do with blood flow and my poor circulation too.
Ambersilva describes it well in her post as to how it does actually feel like!
Thanks catladynz I will be googling Allodynia, never heard of this before, helpful info to read up on.
Anna.