Hand washing

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Hi Guys

This might sound like a silly question but here goes anyway.

Before testing we have to wash our hands. My question is can I use one of these hand gel things like they use in hospitals?

There is going to be times when I am out on the bike and not able to wash my hands if I stop off at a chuck wagon or even a rally, Rallys can be a little rough and ready lol.

Will this effect the test?

Cheers

Tigger

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Tigger, I wouldn't use the gels and they are full of chemicals/alcohol and may affect your readings. I find just water works best. If I'm out and about, there have been times when I haven't been able to wash my hands and still test. Not to be encouraged but that's life :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You never get a straight answer with this one, as Mo says earlier the chemicals and alcohol in some gels can effect meter readings.

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Cheers guys, got some baby wipes that are alcohol and scent free might give em a try.

Got myself a nice little pack going for times on the bike lol

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cheers guys, got some baby wipes that are alcohol and scent free might give em a try.

Got myself a nice little pack going for times on the bike lol

You could carry a bottle of water to use and dry your hands with some kitchen roll, I do this this if I'm out and about and can't get to a wash-hand basin.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l am with Nobelhead. A bottle of h20 and you can have a drink as well. When we go to the pub for a meal l shove a finger into my water glass dry it on the servette and prick.
Went all posh first time went to loos to use sink and out the way to finger prick...then thought if people have a problem thats not my problem l am not going to hide.
As a t2 l need an "as near as" not a "precise" like insulan inj.
And cheaper to fill a bottle with h20 than buy more wipes :)

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Looks like My Ol Lady can have the wipes etc lol H2o it is. I was born in Glasgow Scotland and lived most of my life as a Yorkshireman so HATE spending money lol

Cheers

Tigger

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They reckon if you cant wash your hands to wipe away the first drop of blood and use the next. As long as they're no covered in oil!

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The way I see it is that it's all to do with removing any sugar (or any other soluble substance) that you might have on your fingers, which could get into the sample of blood and affect the reading.

To me, that means plain tap water is best. In addition, I've always been wary of drying my hands afterwards on any re-usable hand towel, in case it had traces of sugar etc. on it. We're looking at such small concentrations that I suspect it wouldn't take much contamination to alter the readings by a substantial amount.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you definitely need to do something though, I forgot to wash my hands yesterday after peeling and eating an orange at lunch:facepalm:

I think the "wipe away the first drop and use the second" is a good approach, and the one I use when out cycling or on long runs

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I'm with the plain water gang. I bought one of those small plastic pump diespensers from Poundland and I just keep it in my bag at all time. If I don't have a tissue I have been know to wipe dry on my tshirt or trousers. I even have one by my bedside for middle of the night testing - saves getting up!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
my days at wrok basically mean my hands are covered in **** all day everyday, i have epoxy resin, stone dust ingrained, acetone and all sorts of weird chemicals on my hands, i just lick my finger, wipe it on my dirty jumper and do the deed, my meter pouch is disgusting, never seems to effect my reading, i test the meter with a clean one that lives in my kitchen and its all good, not saying this is good, im just saying that personally im not sure it matters as long a it isnt sweet stuff, so it seems to me anyway

edit: i do come from a dad that would super glue hes teeth back in when they dropped out so maybe im weird

Reactions: 6 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
errrrrrr mo! nasty!

hope you aint been at the nuts on the bar at thommos

Reactions: 5 people