Type 1 Has Anybody Else had Issues with Omeprazol?

Itfc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Folks. I'm 50 now , been Type 1 Diabetic for over 40 Years now. The last 2 1/2 years of which I've been on a Pump ! I recently suffered a Serious Vomiting Episode which with the Bug that brought it on, caused DKA- Something I'd not had the Displeasure of until then . I was put onto a Drug called Omeprazol 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. These are 20mg tablets so I was on 80mg a day. My sister who is a Nurse Practitioner queried why I was on such a massive dose ? I asked my GP who told me to continue taking them until told differently. This was in mid November. I was admitted to Hospital Twice in a 2 week period once for 6 days and the second time only for 2 days.
I was still taking the drugs as instructed and then after about 4 to 6 weeks I started suffering the most Awful Hypo's! This was even shortly after Eating which I was somewhat concerned about. About 3 hours later my bloods ( Which I check religiously ) would go through the roof -- High ! I eventually said to my Sister that all these things that had happened for last three weeks or so had only happened after I'd been put on the Omeprazol for my Reflux. We looked at the Paperwork and halfway through approximately 6 of the things ( That only happen to 1/10000 people ) were happening to me on a Daily Basis . Dry Throat & Mouth. Ends of Fingers Cracking Up. Blood sugars dropping dramatically after eating then raising massively approx 3 hrs later. Being Confused and Hallucinating. ( Not nice at all ! ) Sweating and being generally
"Off Colour". I attempted to contact my Diabetes Nurse to discuss this and she said. Loads of people are on this drug who are Diabetic. I replied
" Christ that's marvellous ". I must be
A Special One ! Not heard anymore since. Really just wondered if anyone else out there had suffered anything like myself ? Since discovering about the drugs . I Stopped taking them and these things all seemed to cease very rapidly !
Regards
Ian Campbell

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
Hi Folks. I'm 50 now , been Type 1 Diabetic for over 40 Years now. The last 2 1/2 years of which I've been on a Pump ! I recently suffered a Serious Vomiting Episode which with the Bug that brought it on, caused DKA- Something I'd not had the Displeasure of until then . I was put onto a Drug called Omeprazol 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. These are 20mg tablets so I was on 80mg a day. My sister who is a Nurse Practitioner queried why I was on such a massive dose ? I asked my GP who told me to continue taking them until told differently. This was in mid November. I was admitted to Hospital Twice in a 2 week period once for 6 days and the second time only for 2 days.
I was still taking the drugs as instructed and then after about 4 to 6 weeks I started suffering the most Awful Hypo's! This was even shortly after Eating which I was somewhat concerned about. About 3 hours later my bloods ( Which I check religiously ) would go through the roof -- High ! I eventually said to my Sister that all these things that had happened for last three weeks or so had only happened after I'd been put on the Omeprazol for my Reflux. We looked at the Paperwork and halfway through approximately 6 of the things ( That only happen to 1/10000 people ) were happening to me on a Daily Basis . Dry Throat & Mouth. Ends of Fingers Cracking Up. Blood sugars dropping dramatically after eating then raising massively approx 3 hrs later. Being Confused and Hallucinating. ( Not nice at all ! ) Sweating and being generally
"Off Colour". I attempted to contact my Diabetes Nurse to discuss this and she said. Loads of people are on this drug who are Diabetic. I replied
" Christ that's marvellous ". I must be
A Special One ! Not heard anymore since. Really just wondered if anyone else out there had suffered anything like myself ? Since discovering about the drugs . I Stopped taking them and these things all seemed to cease very rapidly !
Regards
Ian Campbell
Hi is the pump use for belly issue and if so can it give you high blood sugar readings thanks

Itfc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi is the pump use for belly issue and if so can it give you high blood sugar readings thanks
No the Pump is purely for my Diabetes Control - Very Good Too ! No my bloods have been superb since I've been on the Pump.
Cheers

Reactions: leong

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
No the Pump is purely for my Diabetes Control - Very Good Too ! No my bloods have been superb since I've been on the Pump.
Cheers
Had high blood sugar and was getting pain on the right side of my belly was giving a pump and my sugars gone down I would like to no the connection between the 2.

Itfc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah I had the Gaviscon Fortnight too. Never ate anything without a slug on the Gaviscon Bottle First ! No thankfully had no issues since I stopped the Omeprazol. Just feeling far better all round finally

Reactions: Baldpatch

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. 80mg is quite a high dose. My wife has gastric reflux and has 20mg per day. Obviously we all vary but looking at the web, 80mg is a high dose. I would have asked the GP why it was so high when 20mg is recommended for many conditions. I would also ask the local pharmacy what they think when a similar question arises in the future as they often know more about drugs than GPs

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could the Omeprazol have an impact on your digestive processes, ie delaying it so the bolus starts working before the foods kicked in?

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
Could the Omeprazol have an impact on your digestive processes, ie delaying it so the bolus starts working before the foods kicked in?
Is this to my question?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
proton pump inhibitors no matter which brand used to make my belly swell and I would be violently sick, this would then start an Addison's crisis. The tablets were prescribed to line my tummy due to steroid use. I do not ever touch any of them now.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
My father recently had a bleeding stomach ulcer and 80mg twice a day is what he was put on to let it heal. He is off them now, but I'm surprised you were on that high a dose. I'm on it myself but only at 20mg once a day - I'm on steroids permanently so if I don't have this I have stomach pain.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
No problems at all with omeprazol here. I have been taking them for years for reflux. Initially 40mg reduced to 20mg. In that space of time, I have had a transplant and type 2 and a lot of different meds - never an issue from this drug. It was the steroid treatment post transplant that brought on diabetes...my blood sugar had been normal up to then. Any other side effects I have had have been from other drugs - never Omeprazol. That said, sounds like a very high dose to me.

S

Shar67

I was on omprazole for a while, as some may know. Im a daily vomiter, during one particular episode I had this awful taste in mouth my brain couldn't work out what was causing it til a friend said she had a problem with omprazole. So a trip to GP changed to pantaprozole all good.