Has anybody else noticed?....

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I caught my arm on a hot oven shelf while taking the roasting tray out of the oven a few months ago. The burn took ages to heal. I did the same thing (Silly me) last week and my wound took only 4 days to completely heal. The first burn I would say took around 3 weeks and then if I caught it, it would bleed. My question is... Is this because my sugar levels have been consistently low for a month now? Can even being Pre-diabetic halt wounds to heal as quickly as they should?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, it's hard to say for certain because a lot would depend on the depth of the burn, and your skin condition and a load of other factors, but certainly I noticed wounds that wouldn't heal a long time before my other metabolic syndrome then finally diabetic symptoms started appearing. Purely anecdotal, but I'd suspect a general connection between pre-d and wounds that don't heal: that being said, I would imagine consistently high blood sugar levels would have been the factor in my case, so I don't know if low-levels would be the culprit.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a seriel arm/hand on oven burner, Id agree that there can be wide variation in the depth /size and location of the burn
That having been said, I find that for all wounds / infections the better my sugars are, the better Things heal

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this because my sugar levels have been consistently low for a month now? Can even being Pre-diabetic halt wounds to heal as quickly as they should?

Who knows? After my diagnosis I went back over some of the things that had happened in recent months:
  • About one month before the diagnosis, I exploded during a boring conversation with my (lovely) father-in-law, about cars of all things. I shouted abuse at him, threw an object across the room, and stormed out, slamming the door. If you knew me, you would know that this is incredibly unusual behavior, for me. After diagnosis, I read that BG fluctuations can cause anger and rage. But did it really cause the incident I described? It is highly suggestive, but all sorts of other things were going on too. I am in America, and a certain orange person had just become top dog, to which my response at the time was also a form of rage, followed by weeks of depression (which I still feel now, to some extent). Maybe that was T2D related, but actually the event was traumatic enough on its own without requiring T2D to worsen it!
  • For about the past five years I have been urinating more frequently than as a young man. Diabetes symptom? Well, I now don't think so. Wanting to "go" more often is common among older people, and it has not changed noticeably since my T2D diagnosis. (And I was not thirsty or hungry.)
  • For the entire month before diagnosis I had a low-level headache. This, too, is one of the symptoms of T2D and interestingly, it vanished about three weeks into the low-carb diet. But was it really a T2 symptom, or just a random headache? (Edited to add that when I told my doctor about this, his only response was: "Interesting!").
"Enquiring minds want to know," but it is unlikely that such questions can ever be truly resolved.

Reactions: TIANDB

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Who knows? After my diagnosis I went back over some of the things that had happened in recent months:
  • About one month before the diagnosis, I exploded during a boring conversation with my (lovely) father-in-law, about cars of all things. I shouted abuse at him, threw an object across the room, and stormed out, slamming the door. If you knew me, you would know that this is incredibly unusual behavior, for me. After diagnosis, I read that BG fluctuations can cause anger and rage. But did it really cause the incident I described? It is highly suggestive, but all sorts of other things were going on too. I am in America, and a certain orange person had just become top dog, to which my response at the time was also a form of rage, followed by weeks of depression (which I still feel now, to some extent). Maybe that was T2D related, but actually the event was traumatic enough on its own without requiring T2D to worsen it!
  • For about the past five years I have been urinating more frequently than as a young man. Diabetes symptom? Well, I now don't think so. Wanting to "go" more often is common among older people, and it has not changed noticeably since my T2D diagnosis. (And I was not thirsty or hungry.)
  • For the entire month before diagnosis I had a low-level headache. This, too, is one of the symptoms of T2D and interestingly, it vanished about three weeks into the low-carb diet. But was it really a T2 symptom, or just a random headache? (Edited to add that when I told my doctor about this, his only response was: "Interesting!").
"Enquiring minds want to know," but it is unlikely that such questions can ever be truly resolved.
It does make you wonder what diabetes contributes to. It may affect people in many different ways that we have no knowledge as to why. I just thought that it was strange that the same burn healed a hell of a lot more quickly than the first one,before eating low carb and the sugar drop

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Heard something on the radio yesterday suggesting that the time of day that we are injured has an impact on the repair time for some injuries. If you need to get injured then daytime is best :).

Reactions: Grateful

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Heard something on the radio yesterday suggesting that the time of day that we are injured has an impact on the repair time for some injuries. If you need to get injured then daytime is best :).
Well injury was around the same time in the evening when I was cooking dinner lol

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my better half is a district nurse the joys of arguing about food. anyway diabetic are always very slow to heal. but worse in badly manged ones.

Reactions: Lynncrisp

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, during the undiagnosed diabetes times, wounds would take ages to heal, have throat infections 2-3 times a year and have various recurring issues. Since I was diagnosed as T2 end of 2016 and brought the BS levels down, wounds would heal quicker, have had no throat infections and no other recurring issues. Sleeping patterns still a bit off, but better than pre-diagnosed days. Unfortunately, damage to my eyes seems to be permanent. I'm guessing the reason I'm a bit "healthier" is due to the various inflammation stuff in the blood that are no longer in a constant "war" state.

Reactions: Guzzler

morpheus123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Diabetes when uncontrolled does have a big impact on healing times. For me before I got diagnosed as type1 my wounds would take weeks longer to heal than was normal. After diagnosis and bs levels returned to normal levels I find my wounds heal at a normalish rate (not quite as quick as before diabetes but not as long as with high sugars).

Mike

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really hard to say. I have a feeling I heal quicker now my BG is down a long way. I haven't had a headache in 11 months, but is that down to reduced BP as a result of treatment for that? I don't need to P so much but then I have massively reduced my beer intake and drink lower volume drinks such as red wine. I haven't had a cold /flu this season, and in fact haven't had a day off in 2017. Is that because I have better BG control, or that I spend much less time in a shared office environment and more working from home, or my won office since the start of the year?

At the end of the day, getting my BG down has to be a good thing, so it doesn't matter to me.