has anyone else heard of zsweet

connor

Hi all, I have just returned from Canada, where I got some of the new U.S.
sweetner 'zsweet',it is zero calorie, does not raise blood sugar levels
and tastes just like sugar.It is made from a natural food ingredient called ' ERYTHRITOL '
Has anyone else come accross it ??????????????????????

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi Connor

Do you know if you can buy it in England?

Regards Val

ChocFish

Connor you know very well that this sweetener is available in Europe, why are you first telling us about this product and then a couple of days later you ask if we all have heard about it? Should we all buy it from you?

:)))

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

connor

Hi Chocfish, I got the sweetner in Canada [health shop], so the reason I asked if anyone has heard of it is to find out if I can get it anywhere in Europe. On the packet it only gives the American website [www.zsweet.com] but when I went on to it, you can only order it if you are living in the States or Canada.

connor

Hi Bluebird, I have rang a few local shops and they have not heard of it, I do know the American website does not send it internationally, so
perhaps it is not available over here?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Connor,

There is a great deal of very recent research into erythritol in the UK, largely by Oxford and Cambridge universities. I can only assume that this is being undertaken prior to introduction of it into the UK as a food substance. At present it appears that it is not available in the UK, and probably will not be until whoever has commissioned the Oxbridge research is satisfied that it meets UK food safety standards.

connor

Hi Dennis,
A person with usename 'chocfish' on this site has tracked down a European website for it, http://www.zsweet.eu
This good as I was going to get my sister living in Canada to ship me some
back to here. Happy days

connor

Hi Dennis, I finally got around to baking with the sweetner, I went with
strawberry cheese cake, Servings: 4
Ingredients
Serving Size: 1 piece graham/ 2 ounces topping
2 teaspoons Zsweet ® all natural
4 ounces ricotta cheese – part
skim milk
4 ounces whipped cream cheese
1 graham cracker sheet
4 small strawberries

It was worth the effort and it tastes great, my mother who was recently
diagnosed with type 2 was very impressed as she has always had a sweet.
All the best.

Sukaren

I use Zylosweet, available from Higher Nature. This is suitable for diabetics,I find it very good "no nasty aftertaste" as with some sweeteners.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Sukaren,

You need to use Zylosweet sparingly. It is made from xylitol, which is a sugar alcohol. It is used by a number of manufacturers as a sweetener (e.g. Wrigleys use it in Orbit gum) but it is also quite a powerful laxative.

toeless2

Great a sweetner thats a powerful laxative, I dont know about anyone else but since taking so much medication ive also found im usually constipated(sorry to talk about such lovely topics) I dont find the usual treatments help such as movicol and i find senna to powerful. Since starting a diet 4 weeks ago and eating lots of veg and drinking plenty of water its not as bad. But maybe the sweetner would also help.

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
I got on to them ([email protected]) and asked them to send me a sample which they readily said they would. I guess if it's xylotol it can indeed act as a laxative (I've never forgotten my joy at discovering sugarless gums, sweetened with it and therefore ate the whole bag (as you do) and getting the worst runs ever) still, IF used in moderation, perhaps it's ok.

Do we think it's ok otherwise?

I'll get back.

Russ

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
I received the sample and tried it. The main ingredient isn't xylotol but Erythritol. Supposed to be all natural. I thought it had an after taste (like you get with saccharing)right at the beginning along with a slight cloying feel. Added to that it didn't have any sweet depth to it, so it got the thumbs down from me. Others might disagree.

Russ

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Russ,

The only one I have ever tried that I found to be similar in taste to sugar is Splenda, which isn't surprising as it it actually made by Tate & Lyle as an extract of sugar! However, some people dont like Splenda either.

Incidentally I think there may be some confusion in the earlier posts:
Zsweet is made with erythritol; Zylosweet (different product) is made from xylitol.