Has anyone had problems with Novopen 5

Johnpark

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The unit I was using seemed to "slip" when injecting and I believe has le to some random blood glucose results. Over the last three months my control has slipped and it is my belief that this has caused the problem. Since I did the DAFNE course my control has been excellent up to now

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had earlier versions of the novopen 'slip', not had that on the 5's though, although the mechanism is pretty much the same and susceptible to the same issues I guess. Talk to your diabetes clinic who I'm sure will replace it immediately

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Johnpark . If this is a regular problem then a new pen is a must.
Are you aware that you can do a test to check if your pen is delivering the dialled in dose?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's news to me. What's the test?
OK this is how you test your pen.
1st. Screw needle in place, remove cap.
2nd Do an air shot, as you would prior to an injection.
3rd Replace outer cap.
4th Dial in 20 in units.
Now with the pen pointing directly downwards, depress plunger and inject the 20 units into the outer cap.
If you look at the cap you will see 4 flutes/ fins . The bottom of the fins/ the smooth area is exactly 20 units. The 20 units should fill the bottom of the cap up to where the flutes/ fins start.:):):)

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right got it, to be clear for everyone, you mean the outer cap that holds the whole needle as opposed to the inner cap.

Good tip I have never heard this one before.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right got it, to be clear for everyone, you mean the outer cap that holds the whole needle as opposed to the inner cap.

Good tip I have never heard this one before.
Yes that's correct. Was forgetting that some people still get prescribed quality needles, alot are now being prescribed cheaper needles which don't have the inner cap.