Has anyone tried the cook, cool and rest method with rice and pasta?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have been trying to find more info on the cook, cool, rest and reheat method of dealing with rice and pasta and was wondering if members had tried it. What effects did it have on your bg?

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guzzler I cook whole meal pene pasta drain and rinse it under loads of cold water and then place it in a container and keep it in the fridge until next day when I use it. I have found my readings much lower this was similar results with brown rice but with both I watch my portion size which is a bummer as I love pasta and rice.

Guess that's a result of being born in Singapore and living there and being weened on rice and then living in Italy for 4 yrs.

Reactions: Guzzler

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had success with mashed potatoes and a small amount of rice but not pasta - the pasta still pushed my readings up too high for too long - I even tried freezing it into submission but no joy :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have been trying to find more info on the cook, cool, rest and reheat method of dealing with rice and pasta and was wondering if members had tried it. What effects did it have on your bg?

Use the forum search facility and type in Resistant Starch, I'd imagine there's quite a few threads where members are discussing the subject and posting their results.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Use the forum search facility and type in Resistant Starch, I'd imagine there's quite a few threads where members are discussing the subject and posting their results.
@noblehead Thank you.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Makes me think that ready meals with pasta might show this feature as well.

That is, I assume that the pasta is cooked and cooled and the oven/microwave reheats it.

****; temptation strike again.

Perhaps they can add "of which 10% resistant starch" to the food labelling?

skiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I tried it with potatoes, heating and letting it go cold several times to be sure. 2 Hours after eating them my BG was heading for the moon. It don't work I'm afraid. At least not for me.

Triffo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cook my meals with the pasta and freeze it in meal sized portions then defrost and reheat on the stove as required. Works really well and my BG stays stable. I have used this method for a number of years now very successfully. I don't reheat rice because I am on immune suppressants and have been advised not to.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi, Try looking for threads on resistant starch, I seem to remember a number of discussions on this a year or so back.

Robbity

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As a treat I will have the odd teeny tiny portion of 'resistant starch' method, with potato, sweet potato, and pasta is just a swiped spoonful. No spike as the quantity, and usually drowned in healthy fat, is so small, is my understanding. I wouldn't risk or even bother testing for an actual meal of it! (But I was diagnosed with an HBA1c of 93.)

I am really carb intolerant (surprise! on a diabetes forum), but in my opinion and experience, who really gains from this is folk with only slightly 'into the orange' HBA1c, and therefore not so dire dysregulation, that tweeks of this nature allow them to eat what someone like me cannot, and still have healthy HBA1c's.

I really recommend this 'cook, cool, reheat' method of dealing with those carby foods to folks wanting to prevent diabetes, or control a tendency to be prediabetic. Then this resistant starch thing is a godsend!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Makes me think that ready meals with pasta might show this feature as well.

That is, I assume that the pasta is cooked and cooled and the oven/microwave reheats it.

****; temptation strike again.

Perhaps they can add "of which 10% resistant starch" to the food labelling?
I think the excess salt and added sugar typically seen in ready meals would cancel out any benefits from cooked, cooled and reheated starch therein.

Would be a better bet to reheat your own recipes, in my opinion.

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The thing most tempting me is boiled new potatoes which are left overnight in the fridge then sliced and fried.

However the "just a little" rule applies and I usually find that none is easier to manage than just a little and one more won't do any harm.

Reactions: Ultramum