Has anyone tried Vida or MyFitnessPal?

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use MFP. I managed to work out how to change my goals for carbs, protein, fat, salt etc, but you have to check the data your use as people only input cals and it might look like you have consumed less carbs than you really have.

Judlepip

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My Fitness Pal is a must for me. It does keep telling me I'm eating too much fat, but I need to juggle with my goals to eliminate that. It's a great way to keep an eye on carbs.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love MyFitnessPal - I started using it a few days after I was diagnosed and have weighed and logged every single thing I've eaten since then. It helped me lose over 54kg and get my hba1c into the non-diabetic range
It takes a bit of getting used to but after a while it's second nature and I feel empowered by the information it gives me: I know what I can eat to stay within my calorie and macro targets and I can look back to see how my body has progressed.
I can't recommend it highly enough :)

Sundial1962

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been a type 1 diabetic for 55 years and always had a weight problem. I've tried all kinds of diet both with and without the help of health professionals. In the past the most I've managed to lose is half a stone with much difficulty. A couple of years ago I signed up to my fitness pal and lost four stone in a year which I've managed to keep off. I have a painful back and knees so I was unable to do more than a minimum amount of exercise but still lost weight. I also found that I could eat more or less what I loked within reason. This programme kept me on the straight and narrow! I've just started lose weight phase two and have shed another half a stone in six weeks, relatively easily. My son, who is not diabetic, lost eight stone with this app. You just have to stick with it....

Reactions: TifferG

Sundial1962

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Also my blood sugar levels improved greatly. However you just have to be careful when first starting. I really had to think carefully about insulin and calorie balance and I did have some hypos on the way. I had to gradually reduce insulin intake and gradually reduce calories at the same time, watching carbs and sugars carefully. You just have to try and save some calories for coping with hypos. And if you haven't enough forget calories for that day. It is doable...... I did it and if I can, anyone can.

mikedowding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find MFP very useful, especially being able to scan barcodes to enter the nutritional info. Also tracks carbs, fat etc. Once you have built up a list of foods in the frequent and recent sections for each meal it's very quick to use. Never looked at the forums. Also syncs with the map my run app if you want to track exercise. Both owned by Under Amour so occasionally they might try to sell you some sports gear, but not often for what is a completely free app.

Reactions: eldoc57

eldoc57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ignorant people
mfp is superb, especially so when teamed up with a fitness tracking app e.g. myrunkeeper (iirc)...all data collated onto mfp
I agree totally - I use both apps. Had lost 4 stone through Weightwatchers but couldn't shift anymore until I started using MyFitnessPal - I lost a further 5 stone using this in conjunction with Runkeeper. I actually was not eating enough and my body had gone into starvation mode. I still use both of them everyday - keeps me in check.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love MFP app it counts everything for me, alerts me if I nearing my total level and much more.
I dont really use the blogs etc as I find these forums more geared towards diabetes which is what I need the most help with.
The MFP forums can be a scary place. You do well not to use them. Their low carb group advises members to stay off the main forums and not even to read them. I scan them but don't participate - they can get quite vicious.

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Totally committed to "My Fitness Pal", and have been using it since first diagnosed 6 years ago, with massive benefits. I genuinely believe it is because of MFP that I have successfully reversed my diagnosis back to "Pre-Diabetes".

MollyLarkins

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Insulin
I like fitness pal because it helps you to eat less. I’ve only been on it for 2 days. But after putting in my food intake, it stops me from eating because I knew I only had so many calories and fat remaining for the day and I didn’t want to go over. So instead of having a ham and cheese sandwich, I had vegetables and a yogurt. I do zumba aerobic classes, walk, and I’m on my feet at work.
night-eating.jpg

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am genuinely surprised at how many of you actually use MFP.....

Its great, at least for counting the carbs, usually the excess of carbs, I am eating.....;)

Reactions: TifferG