Hashi hypothyroidism and lada

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all. My first visit to this lovely corner of the forum.

I have been reading about a possible connection between hashi and lada . I have a great deal of hypothyroidism and diabetes (1 & 2) on my mums side of the family and one of my cousins has been relabeled as lada, after several years as t2d.

I am wondering if any of you has any personal.experience of both these conditions? Any helpful hints? I will be seeing my cousin in the new year to.compare notes, but would love some pointers to good research etc if anyone knows anything.

Thankyou all.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hashimotos is an autoimmune disease. If you have one autoimmune disease you are more at risk of others. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease. LADA is type 1.

Do you have actually hashimotos? Or just a family history of it?

If you think you may be type 1, rather than type 2, ask for antibody testing to see if you have the antibodies associated with autoimmune type 1.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No idea if I have it or not. Gp refuses to test because she says the tx is the same in either case. This is also what most of my cousins were told. Testing seems to.depend on the whim of the gp, until it gets to.a.point where health deteriorates and it reeally has to be be done.

Mum has it, as do 5 of her 6 sisters. I have several cousins with hashi. Plus a smattering of t1ds and ms. Only one of my cousins has been tested, and she has hashi. Another cousin, the one newly called lada, is waiting for results.

I am going back.to gp. But would like to take some research with me to back up case for testing. Am also awaiting referral to.endo.

Do.you have hashimotos, @catapillar ?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do.you have hashimotos, @catapillar ?

No, I don't have hashimotos.

I'm still not clear if you do. Is it hashimotos or type 1 that your GP won't test you for on the basis the treatment will be the same?

If you've got hypothyroid how is it currently being treated? It is correct that whatever is causing hypothyroidism, it doesn't make a difference to the treatment. The test to confirm whether the cause is hashimotos is a test for anti thyroid antibodies.

If it's tests for type 1 that your gp won't do it's not correct to say that treatment for type 1 and type 2 are the same. Type 1 requires insulin. Type 2 can be treated with diet and oral meds. Some of those oral meds are not recommended for ladas trying to retain beta cell function.

How are you currently treating your diabetes and what do your blood sugars look like?

The tests for type 1 are cpeptide and GAD tests.

But, if you don't have an autoimmune disease and your diabetes is adequately managed with diet/oral meds, there's no indication for the tests to exclude type 1.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hypothyroidism defines a state of sluggish thyroid function and metabolism.Hashimoto's defines an autoimmune disease process which can result in symptoms of hypothyroidism. Another way to put it: Hypothyroidism is a problem with your thyroid gland.... Hashimoto's is a problem with your immune function. I have had hypo for 45 years , had two children so I would ask th GP what sort you have I levothyroxine daily

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all. Sorry for the confusion.

I have hypothyroidism. Treated with levo. Also t2d, tx with metformin and lchf. Last hbalc was 39.

Gp.says no point in wasting money testing for hashi as will make no difference to treatment. I have several family members with both conditions as well. Plus 1 that has just been dx with lada, instead of t2d. Her gp did test her for hashi, and she does have it. I know that the only way I will know if it is the reason for my hypothroidism is the test. But with so many in my family having the same thing, plus a more than average incidence of autoimmune conditions, I do feel its a likely dx.

I think the reason I want to know is so that I can be aware of possible problems. I am also aware that I.can change other things in diet etc for hashi. But I dont really want to do that if I dont need to. At the moment I am assuming I have it. My other cousins are also trying to get tested.

I would like to be able to.convince my gp that a test is a good idea for me. But she does not want to.waste the money.