Have to come off Metformin due to Lichen Planus

carophie04

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FOr the past six months I have been suffering from Lichen Planus, a rather unsightly, although not contagious, skin complaint.
This has not responded to treatment with steroid creams and oinments and the Dermatologist now suspects it is being caused by a reaction to taking Metformin since the itching and rashes started to appear with a month of so of starting Metformin at the end of last year. I have therefore to stop taking Metformin for a trial period of two months to see if it is the cause. I would like to know if anyone else has had to stop taking Metformin for any reason and whether it caused any particular problem. I have been told to test BG regularly and report to my GP or DN any significant changesin my readings. My last HB1aC was 7.4%.
Obviously I want to get rid of this skin problem but I am rather nervous of stopping the Metformin in case it causes me more problems with my T2 Diabetes. ANy help gratefully received.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would have thought you would have to cut your carbs quite drastically to keep your HbA1c the same (it is fairly high at the moment). Have they not suggested other meds such as Gliclazide or Sitagliptin (Januvia) or injectables such as Byetta or Victoza?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I wouldn't worry too much about stopping Metformin - it doesn't cause an enormous reduction in blood glucose levels, rather it lessens insulin resistance in the muscle cells so that the insulin you produce can work more efficiently. Just be very careful of your diet and reduce carbs a bit more (if you can!) so your pancreas doesn't have to work too hard.

I have oral lichen planus - like patches of ulcers in my mouth - which I think was caused by stress during my last house move in March 2010. It is much better now than it originally was, but I'm not sure whether it can ever be cured completely. I don't know if that's true of the external, skin, type.

I found some very good information on Google. I rember that aloe vera gel was advised - can't do any harm and may help!

Good luck with it.

Viv 8)

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have oral lichen planus too! Not curable, just use difflam if it is sore. Auto immune disease too.

Ali

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a bit of lichen planus, I don't worry about it, it does not get worse but not curable either which is a pain, but my diet seems to keep it at bay, spicy and crunchy and really hot things are not recommended.

carophie04

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all your views and advice. I have now been off Metformin for 2 days. I have to test 4 times a day and if there is any significant change in my readings let DN or GP know otherwise after a couple of weeks test twice a day and see what happens with the Lichen Planus - whether it carries on increasing or whether there is a significant decrease in itching and spots/rash.
My main concern is that taking no medication for the T2 my BG levels will start to increase again but I have to give this experiment a go to know whether or not Metformin was the cause of the LP. It is all over my hands and arms, legs and thighs and on the scalp at back of my head and recently across the top of my back. Very unsightly and not funny to be having to scratch oneself and be wearing trousers and long sleeves through the summer!

Fasting BG this morning after 1 day was 7.9%.