Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Don't take their ill informed answers , persevere, be positive it really is important to test whether yo are type 1 or 2

Reactions: 5 people
C

catherinecherub

In an ideal world we would all get test strips but we do not live in an ideal world.

I also don't think that some posters who obsessively test their blood sugars without learning anything would ever be happy with 50 strips per month.

The diabetes population is exploding day by day and the NHS is not a bottomless pit of money so how can we explain to the powers that be that testing in an educated manner will lessen the cost of complications to the NHS.

This Government has made Heart Disease and ~Cancer a priority and I can accept that these are devastating illnesses that need all the NHS support that they can get.

How do you get someone to sit up and listen that Diabetes needs the same level of care?
1....You have to educate the media. Their portrayal of us does nothing to endear the public to better education/treatment for us.
2....The level of care for diabetics cannot be patchy. We all deserve the same level of care
3.....Those HCPs who do not understand diabetes need educating so that they are as aware as are their colleagues who show us care and education.

We have done the e-petitions, I can remember 5 of them being put forward here at different times and they got us nowhere. They did not get enough signatures. as many people did not see them as a priority. I think if every member and guest over the year that they were active could have changed this. There were enough people but not enough interest.
Anyone who can think of anything else?

Reactions: 7 people
C

catherinecherub

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Did you guys check my post re nhs test strips it's encouraging , my chemist helped find a doctor who's better informed and gave me my test strips prescription
That's awesome! Fantastic news!

bunkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm having problems getting blood sugars down and have had to increase my glucophage to 1 500 mg per day but.....I was then told I don't need to test my sugar levels....surely if they are in the 15 odd range I need to test!!!!! Confused

desidiabulum

In an ideal world we would all get test strips but we do not live in an ideal world.

I also don't think that some posters who obsessively test their blood sugars without learning anything would ever be happy with 50 strips per month.

The diabetes population is exploding day by day and the NHS is not a bottomless pit of money so how can we explain to the powers that be that testing in an educated manner will lessen the cost of complications to the NHS.

This Government has made Heart Disease and ~Cancer a priority and I can accept that these are devastating illnesses that need all the NHS support that they can get.

How do you get someone to sit up and listen that Diabetes needs the same level of care?
1....You have to educate the media. Their portrayal of us does nothing to endear the public to better education/treatment for us.
2....The level of care for diabetics cannot be patchy. We all deserve the same level of care
3.....Those HCPs who do not understand diabetes need educating so that they are as aware as are their colleagues who show us care and education.

We have done the e-petitions, I can remember 5 of them being put forward here at different times and they got us nowhere. They did not get enough signatures. as many people did not see them as a priority. I think if every member and guest over the year that they were active could have changed this. There were enough people but not enough interest.
Anyone who can think of anything else?

I agree entirely with what you say. I did say at the outset that my thread 'is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics' -- I was trying another tack, precisely because of the problem of trying to find ways of changing things. I never said I wanted to make lists of non-compliant GPs, I said nothing attacking NHS or NICE. I praised DUK. It is about the education and advice that is given. #catherinecherub, it would be great if you could spearhead a thread trying to brainstorm about ways that we can address the 3 points that you raise. I can do nothing if some forum members regard me in such a hostile way and will always misrepresent what I say -- better if I keep out of it, I suspect. But if you and Anna could lead some debate about how to lobby for change I'm sure we would all be grateful and give what support we could.

Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I'm having problems getting blood sugars down and have had to increase my glucophage to 1 500 mg per day but.....I was then told I don't need to test my sugar levels....surely if they are in the 15 odd range I need to test!!!!! Confused
You could try low carbing or LCHF - have a look at www.dietdoctor.com

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I never said I wanted to make lists of non-compliant GPs,

Errr, yes you did, see below exactly what you said about gathering examples of HPC's who have...(text highlighted)

I can do nothing if some forum members regard me in such a hostile way and will always misrepresent what I say --

Ill assume your referring to me however expessing an opinion is NOT being hostile and I did not misrepresent what you said, see below exactly what you said about gathering examples of HPC's who have...

This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.

So do you want to discuss misrepresentation now?

Last edited by a moderator:

desidiabulum

Errr, yes you did, see below exactly what you said about gathering examples of HPC's who have...(text highlighted)

Ill assume your referring to me however expessing an opinion is NOT being hostile and I did not misrepresent what you said, see below exactly what you said about gathering examples of HPC's who have...

So do you want to discuss misrepresentation now?
I meant gathering examples of things that have been said (just as the DUK survey did) to get a sense of the scale of the problem -- not making lists of errant GPs in a witch-hunt. Sid, I am happy to take your hostility to me and to this thread as read -- I have no desire for me or anyone else to reply to you in kind. You have registered your scepticism -- can you just leave the rest of us alone to get on with our conversation?

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I agree that if the real reason we aren't allowed test strips is because the NHS can't afford them that is what we should be told. I can see the point that it would save money long term if we all tested, but I am probably in the minority because I feel the NHS has more important things to spend money on. I am quite happy to buy my own strips (and lucky that I can afford to do so) so I won't be asking for free ones.. It's up to me how I use those strips if I have paid for them. I do feel for people who truly can't afford to buy their own though and would like to see the NHS provide strips for those people.

Reactions: 5 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Well I agree that if the real reason we aren't allowed test strips is because the NHS can't afford them that is what we should be told. I can see the point that it would save money long term if we all tested, but I am probably in the minority because I feel the NHS has more important things to spend money on. I am quite happy to buy my own strips (and lucky that I can afford to do so) so I won't be asking for free ones.. It's up to me how I use those strips if I have paid for them. I do feel for people who truly can't afford to buy their own though and would like to see the NHS provide strips for those people.

Here in the northwest preston area lancs .
It is exactly this case - no resources to issue all diabetics with
their own meters plus test strips .
Heard this with my own ears from the horses mouth !
Head DSN and consultants .

I have been told as hundreds if not more weekly are seeking
their HCP's within the NHS for future diabetic therapy and advice .

This is again - why it would be far better to have a one rule system
for all diabetics .
We can debate till we are blue in the face over this .
Getting nowhere - until either the law/system gets changed with
all diabetics being treated equal .
Hence my point of given the sheer numbers scale of diabetics
within the UK signed petition to attempt to change this 'productively' .

No diabetic can ever acurately guess their blood sugar levels !
This is an impossibility task ...

How on earth any diabetic can know or self manage their
own diabetes management without this knowledge .
Is beyond me - highly unfair also - I feel and think .

Within the system as it stands - only if on any hypo inducing
medication whilst "driving a vehicle" can we make any leeway
with testing of the blood sugars via NHS test strips .
So any DSN/GP has to provide these for a diabetic driver using hypo
inducing meds .

Some areas of the UK will continue to be luckier than others .
Till the system get's changed to equal treatment and advice
for all diabetics from the HCP's .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here in the northwest preston area lancs .
It is exactly this case - no resources to issue all diabetics with
their own meters plus test strips .
Heard this with my own ears from the horses mouth !
Head DSN and consultants .

I have been told as hundreds if not more weekly are seeking
their HCP's within the NHS for future diabetic therapy and advice .

This is again - why it would be far better to have a one rule system
for all diabetics .
We can debate till we are blue in the face over this .
Getting nowhere - until either the law/system gets changed with
all diabetics being treated equal .
Hence my point of given the sheer numbers scale of diabetics
within the UK signed petition to attempt to change this 'productively' .

No diabetic can ever guess their blood sugar levels !
This is an impossibility task ...

How on earth any diabetic can know or self manage their
own diabetes management without this knowledge .
Is beyond me - highly unfair also - I feel and think .

Within the system as it stands - only if on any hypo inducing
medication whilst "driving a vehicle" can we make any leeway
with testing of the blood sugars via NHS test strips .
So any DSN/GP has to provide these for a diabetic driver using hypo
inducing meds .

Some areas of the UK will continue to be luckier than others .
Till the system get's changed to equal treatment and advice
for all diabetics from the HCP's .

Sorry, I really don't agree with 'one rule for all'. Just because we all have diabetes, doesn't mean we all need the same medical treatment. I need insulin, many diabetics do not so the risks etc are different. In my view, the important thing is that our treatment plans, including test strips, are tailored to our needs and not based on blanket policies. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that new non insulin-dependent Type 2s need a decent supply of test strips while they learn how to manage their condition, but once they have done that, their supply can be safely greatly reduced. Insulin-dependents should never have their supply limited -it's just too dangerous. We should be able to trust doctors to make sound judgements on their patients' needs and honest about those judgements. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case and doctors and DSNs are choosing to mislead people instead

Smidge

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Test strips for all smidge ...
Within a no more excuses/variants of advice from the HCP's .
Hence the one rule for all diabetics.
All being encouraged to test regardless of what meds/insulin they use .

Insulin dependent diabetics should be allowed amount of
test strips they need .
Same with noninsulin using diabetics too .

No need to pick holes this way .
The supply of test strips for all is key here .
Plus all to be encouraged to test regardless .

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Test strips for all would of course be ideal. I don't feel it is realistic, that is why I am happy to buy my own. I would rather have good dietary advice for all. I don't resent paying for my own test strips, I did resent 18 years of being told to lose weight, but not how to lose weight. I might not have needed test strips at all if I had had the help I needed when I asked for it. How much would it have cost for just one doctor or nurse to say the words 'low carb' to me? Instead I was judged for being fat, that's what I resent. I'll pay for my own test strips so that someone else who can't afford it can have them for free. :)

bunkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep. Told type 2 don't need to and I asked for more as had run out so havnt bn testing for a month so no idea what they are!!

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
"zand, post: 666991, member: 85197"]Well I agree that if the real reason we aren't allowed test strips is because the NHS can't afford them that is what we should be told. I can see the point that it would save money long term if we all tested, but I am probably in the minority because I feel the NHS has more important things to spend money on. I am quite happy to buy my own strips (and lucky that I can afford to do so) so I won't be asking for free ones.. It's up to me how I use those strips if I have paid for them. I do feel for people who truly can't afford to buy their own though and would like to see the NHS provide strips for those people.

I dont think its a case of the NHS not being able to afford to supply test strips etc, it is more of the case that GPs now have to manage their own budgets and therefore cutting back on on what they perceive to be 'non essential' prescribing

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.

When I was first diagnosed with T2 I was not offered a testing kit but when I started on medication which was gradually being increased, I eventually got a free meter myself. However, when I ran out of test strips and lancet and asked for them to be prescribed I was refused and was told by the Practice Nurse that they don't prescribe them as 'people get too obsessed with them'. Had I been allowed to continue to test myself then I feel I would have had much better control over my diet as I had found it a very useful way of identifying foods that made me spike. However, over time my meds have been increased and I am now on insulin, and only now I am allowed to test myself. My personal feeling is that GPs will not prescribe testing kit for budgetary reasons, which is actually a false economy as the amount of medications I have been prescribed have cost much more. Had I been allowed to test this may have been avoided.

Reactions: 8 people

bunkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly. I was a nurse and recognise fully how msny patients used to come into a and e either with hypoglycaemia or dka. Now the figures must be higher as people r unable to test until it's too late. Makes me sick!!!@

Reactions: 7 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly. I was a nurse and recognise fully how msny patients used to come into a and e either with hypoglycaemia or dka. Now the figures must be higher as people r unable to test until it's too late. Makes me sick!!!@

Precisely! Another cost on the NHS as a result of poor management in Primary Care