Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

James2

hi
i am recently diagnosed with type two diabetes and was also told the same thing,my response was that i wanted to get a handle on was going on as i had the HbA1c and was told i would have another one in 3 months time

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is not to do with money. If you are eating a sensible diet in moderate sized portions, all you are doing by measuring your blood sugar is adding completely unnecessary pressure to your life.
And how exactly do you determine what is a sensible diet?

I'll give you some examples that i would not have known about without testing:

1. If i eat late i get a much higher FBG next day.
2. Blueberries give me a big BG spike into double figures.

IMHO you cannot have too much information.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Must my doctor agree if I ask for a reduction in Metformin?
If your combination of MF & diet is giving satisfactory BGs fasting, before & after meals - or even BGs below 5, then you can adjust your dose without asking.
BUT keep testing & report what you are doing after say 2 weeks.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I saw a new Doctor this morning. I was asked to come as my HAbc1 had increased to 55 after being 48. He wanted to increase my Metformin. When I explained that the increase had been caused by my 'head in the sand' attitude and I had stopped my low carb way of life. I told him my blood sugar had been 4.6 that morning. He was delighted. I told him I had restarted low carb. He said if I could get 48 on low carb previously and a morning 4.6 there was no need to increase. He was delighted I was testing.

Reactions: Indy51

Tanis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.
Every time i asked for strips on prescription at my surgery, i was told no (3 times) because they say it is not necessary on Metformin. I consider it necessary to my mental health! I NEED to know what is happening to my blood every day.

Tanis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My gp gives strips, so it's nothing to do with the powers that be, more like saving from his budget so he can take more out.
Drs. are a law unto themselves, my neighbour gets all his equipment and strips from his surgery free (he is type 2), i get nothing. It depends on what your Dr. thinks. Thats not fair.

TonyHBS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.
I was told that it was not necessary for Type2 Diabetics to test their blood by our diabetic nurse. She excused this by saying it was not her but the Government that were against it as it did no good. She inferred that we were too stupid to understand the results. I have since persuaded my doctor that it was for my and the practice's benefit to supply me with test strips on repeat prescription.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told that it was not necessary for Type2 Diabetics to test their blood by our diabetic nurse. She excused this by saying it was not her but the Government that were against it as it did no good. She inferred that we were too stupid to understand the results. I have since persuaded my doctor that it was for my and the practice's benefit to supply me with test strips on repeat prescription.
Unfortunately here in Italy it's not possible to get exemption for chronic illness ons strips if one is a Type 2 not using insulin, Sulfonylureas or Meglitinides.

I suppose that our gouvernants are thinking we're too stupid, maybe because we elected them? ;-)

Jokes aside if the problem with diabetes and other chronic illnesses is the lack of education and information, the answer is teach the patient, not to withdraw the strips.

EsoxLucius

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting down on the floor or ground to do a job. I never did like this even when I was younger, slimmer and fitter!
Ironing - I can do it, but I'm very slow at it.
Shopping - A typical man, I guess!
Oh, yes! The last diabetes nurse at my clinic told me that it was totally unnecessary for me to test at home. I went against this piece of "advice" because the clinic hadn't summoned me for my regular diabetic review at all this year. It turned out that this nurse had quit and the clinic hadn't got a replacement. Now, I've started buying my own test strips.

Reactions: IanD and MikeTurin

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think you are right on the blueberries. Moreover, the small wild blueberries from Canada do not spike me as much as the high bush blueberries from Oregon
I think the ones we get in the UK are the US variety. I am fine with all the other berries.

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont test often, but i do occasinally to see if i am doing alright. My husband is type 1 so he uses his stuff because my diabetic nurse says i dont need to test!!!!
Crazy, surely thats like driving without looking at the soeedo

wordangel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In US where testing is covered and assumed i was told after 9 months to test only once a week. Don't know if my doctor knows ... well leave it there...

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
I have never been told not to check my glucose. Honestly, I have been told to check it more, even though I already check it 5-7 times a day. Hope this helps.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR BLOOD SUGAR EFFECTIVELY WITHOUT REGULAR TESTING TO INFORM YOU AS TO WHAT FOODS WORK FOR YOU AND WHICH DON'T (unless you simply trust the general advice of diabetics - not the NHS splaff - and cut out all high carbohydrate foods from your diet). Once you have established a clear approach from the information you consider, then you can afford not to test so much. Knowing what works for you as an individual is the way to empower yourself and to take control.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been told that when I come of the Gliclazide and am only taking Metformin that I won't need to test. I suspect strips will be withdrawn at this point, but lets wait and see. That came from the GP that I'm going to try to avoid seeing as another seemed better aware of newer thinking.

Reactions: miahara

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I have been told that when I come of the Gliclazide and am only taking Metformin that I won't need to test. I suspect strips will be withdrawn at this point, but lets wait and see. That came from the GP that I'm going to try to avoid seeing as another seemed better aware of newer thinking.

Apparently the general (over-stretched and under-resourced) NHS response. Technically, a patient with high blood pressure doesn't need to test his own level at home, I do...if I don't I rely purely on what the reading is whenever it is taken by a nurse or carer. Someone on a diet doesn't technically need to weigh themselves regularly..but then they only know what they weigh at certain time and cannot fully comprehend the impact of a diet on an ongoing basis. The difference ? The NHS doesn't provide bathroom scales. People but their own. Do I think the NHS should provide self-testing meters for Type 2 diabetics? Yes...and my doctor did. Maybe the situation in Scotland is slightly better. I would suggest that you persist, arguing that it is the only way you can see for yourself if your diet/lifestyle is working day to day. Since having a meter, I have come off Gliclazide completely (no doubt a saving for the NHS). I was never on Metformin. I can only wish you luck. If you fail to persuade them - buy one.

Reactions: Brunneria

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
When I was recently diagnosed with Type 2, I asked the nurse if I needed a monitor and she said it was not necessary! But I got one anyway and started testing.

Naturewalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rain, cold,
Well, I was diagnosed with type 2 back last march, as judged by a random blood test. My hba1c was at 87. I had the usual info on diet needs and what meds were required..... also good and sound info. As it turned out, by June, the metformin didnt seem to agree with me, so was put on gliclazide, 1 x 40mg tablet daily. I had another hba1c test in july...hba1c was down to 72. I enquired at this time about self testing.... and the response was that 'oh no, you neednt keep doing this..... we rely more on the 3monthly blood test...!' Well I had another blood test in aug (for an unrelated issue to type 2), and asked for the hba1c to be included. Saw the diabetic team....a different nurse this time... and from this, I was given my own test meter and strips. She seemed to be more switched on about patients keeping their own tabs on bg levels. That latest test revealed my level had gone down to 53. It is from the monitoring daily each morning that I am getting wise as to what foods to avoid buying / eating. Out are high carb/hi sugar things. Always now checking for low sugar or no added sugar items. Having the daily test does keep my mind at ease, knowing that I am not heading in the wrong direction. I now get the strips on prescription. In time I suppose I will be able to only need test every 2 or 3 days..... then weekly. In my mind, if the nurse says self testing is not needed.....buy your own meter to keep abreast daily of how well you are doing.
I had another blood test last friday.... will keep this post updated when I find out my new 'score'....!

Reactions: pleinster

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

I remember my friend who is type 1 telling me that when she went to see her doctor, he asked her why she tested at this certain point when she had a high. He told her, if you can tell that you're having a high why do you bother testing?