1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by desidiabulum, Oct 30, 2014.

1. mallins

mallins · Well-Known Member

Totally Disgusted

I have just moved house from Northamptonshire to Exeter so when I requested my repeat prescription at my new surgery I was told that they did not give type 2 diabetics test strips and needles as type 2 diabetics do not need to test. When I explained that I received them at my old surgery I just got told that the new surgery did not provide them. I would think it is in their interest for me to take control of my health so I do not cost them money by needing more medication or perhaps even hospital admissions. I feel this is a totally false economic decision to refuse test equipment. Also why can one surgery provide the medication and not another surely this should be an all or nothing policy enforced by the NHS and not a post code lottery.

Now I have to ask the question where do people who have to pay for their equipment get the best deals?

Cheers

Mallins

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@mallins I will ask @AM1874 to give you details of the meter and strips deals popular on the forum

3. keitjones

keitjones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was told I didn't need to test. They gave in and gave me a meter. But I have to buy test strips and lances. No prescription possible. I agree it's a scandal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. keitjones

I am an engineer too. A famous quote by Lord Kelvin " if you can't measure it you can't improve it!"

• Like Like x 3
  5. leslie10152

leslie10152 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Say what?

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

The popular ones on here are the Codefree and the Tee2 because they have the cheapest strips available. They aren't available in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
    http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
    http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk and don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free.
    5 packs 264086
    10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

7. AM1874

AM1874 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @mallins ..
    The details of meters posted above by @Bluetit1802 are the same that I would have given you .. but just to add that the TEE2 is free. I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on the cost of your meter or strips.
    For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
    5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £38.45
    10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £76.90
    For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. there are no discounts currently available for bulk buys
    I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages

Hope this helps

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. mallins

mallins · Well-Known Member

9. keitjones

10. AM1874

AM1874 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @keitjones ..
    Well good luck with that ..
    The bottom line is that the NICE guidelines on self-testing are confusing to say the least .. and, in my opinion, open to interpretation. The details are at ..
    https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#self-monitoring-of-blood-glucose
    particularly paras 1.6.12 to 1.6.16

11. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It would be obvious to a five year old that testing helps.

It's all down to money. 135 amputations a week cost less than treating every diabetic properly.

12. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So the EVIL BIG PHARMA CONSPIRACY goes down the toilet.
    Besisdes, I still don't understand why the GP aren't saying that not giving the strips is a cost cutting measure and suggest to buy them.

13. budgend1

budgend1 Type 2 · Member

I read the above with interest. When I was first diagnosed with diabetes type 2 I had to keep a record of my blood sugars for 6 months 6 times a day, this was in addition to my HbA1c. after a period of time my testing was reduced to 4 times a day. All strips etc. were issued by the doctor.

3 Years ago I moved to Sussex and on numerous occasions I was asked about my testing regime and still managed to receive strips and lancets.

But the big deal came when I was put on 'Gliclazide' I was told that the legal position has changed, I did not need to tell DLVA but if I was involved in an accident I had to have proof that I had tested blood/sugars before starting my journey.

At my last meeting in March with my diabetic Doctor at the practice asked me about this and confirmed that this is correct.

Metformin you do not need to test.

I hope this goes some way to answer questions on Type 2 and testing.

14. rosalindp

rosalindp Type 2 · Active Member

Totally agree. I feel that it is just one more way that "They" try to control not just our sugar levels - but our life. - For Pete's sake it is -our- health, so They shouldn't keep that info from us. (I have had several practice nurses who wouldn't give me my blood test results. Supposedly, only the Dr is smart enough to read Lab results. LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. rosalindp

rosalindp Type 2 · Active Member

Totally agree. I feel that it is just one more way that "They" try to control not just our sugar levels - but our life. (Whereas if we have all the info, we can control our own diabetes ... & they're out of a job.)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Oamsery

Oamsery · Member

No , I often to measure blood pressure and blood sugar

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Contralto

Contralto Other · Well-Known Member

1st ? I ask when it is suggested I should not test bloodsugars is "Are you type 1 or Type 2?"

1st ? I ask when it is suggested that I not test my blood pressure is "Who is your cardiologist?"

18. EmyJ

EmyJ · Member

Above 35, get it checked

19. colt97

colt97 Type 1 · Newbie

i remember when i was first diagnosed i was told by the pharmacy that i am putting to many test strip orders in as i was doing around 8 tests a day at the time, they told me that was way to many and to slow down with tests.

20. letstalk1

letstalk1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have never been told this. I am T2 , on Metformin- 500MG twice a day , and controlled.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook