Have you had viral gastroenteritis?

moonstone

Hello,

In the last week of August I got a severe dose of viral gastroenteritis. I got so sick that I couldn't even face calling an ambulance and handling all the people and the speaking and the stuff and the hospital and the people and the talking...... all I wanted to do was lie there between the incessant trips to the toilet. I knew I needed to be in hospital but I just couldn't bear the idea, I couldn't even see how I'd make it there in an ambulance without bringing my toilet with me! I spent 48hrs thinking I was going to die, it was that bad. I was only semi-conscious most of the time, and couldn't see straight - literally. I knew what I was meant to do with my insulin - keeping doing the lantus, eat a biscuit here or there just to get some novorapid in - but I could barely see the pens/needles, my eyes were crossing and spinning all over the place, like when you're super-drunk. I only got to +1 ketones (I never go higher than that, thank God - I still make some insulin) but most of the time I couldn't actually produce any urine to test - and that was the big problem, how dehydrated I got for 48hrs solid, when I just couldn't stomach drinking because it made me so nauseous. Just little sips here and there. But, having had this a few times when I was younger and not diabetic, I just thought I'd get better soon, like before. I'm now into my 7th week of feeling awful and I've had 4 or 5 weeks off work, I can't remember now. I no longer have diarrhoea but I can't eat much or drink coffee, I can't do anything physical, I feel very weak and tired and sometimes my bowel hurts all the way up to my stomach, my abdomen swells up, I sometimes get breathless, I feel completely dreadful and have cramps. I also had 2x 3-day long migraines during the first 2-3wks of it. I had blood tests done 2wks ago and they showed a high lymphocyte count meaning I'm still fighting the virus. I am back at work now and thought things were getting onto a level but this week it's all got worse again and I felt so bad yesterday that I had to go home from work after 3hrs.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and does anyone have any advice? Sugars are actually fine, thank God, but I can't eat much then I finally crack because I want a big meal, and overdo it, which probably isn't helping my bowel recover but I can't help it. It's been such a big shock, I never imagined it would take so long to recover. I've got chronic fatigue syndrome as well so this situation is just no good.

Does anyone have any really useful knowledge or advice? Is there anything natural I can drink, or eat, to help it go away?

moonstone

Fallenstar

Ooo nasty!
I hope you are feeling better soon, they are a nightmare them tummy bugs. I dread em. You will feel better in time, just try and eat little and often when you can face it.
Good luck

Tracey69

Hi
Sorry to hear you haven't been very well, have you tried rehydrate drinks even if you have on daily, as this will put the salts back into your body, Just keep trying small amounts of food and try and drink plenty of water to rehydrate yourself, as you still need to take your insulins so you need a litlle carbohydrate.
Hope you feel better soon.
Take care
Tracey

hallii

Yep, me and my wife had Noro Virus last year. I lay in the bath all night one night because I couldn't get out! It was for the best really as I needed a bath in the morning. Luckily it was a warm night and the bath towel kept me warm.

I was over it in about two weeks but still felt weak for some time after, I never bothered to test my BGs (I am T2) I had other things on my mind!

I really think another visit to the docs. is called for, there are some partially effective drugs he/she might prescribe to get the virus out of your system and give your body a chance to recover.

H

moonstone

Hi all, thanks for the replies, yes I took dioralyte for several days near the start of it all, but I could only actually get to the chemist for it 5 days after it started because I was so unwell - and, I was so ill, that I totally forgot I have a doctor living downstairs from me, so I idiotically didn't ask her to help/get me stuff. What a complete numpty. I just lay there in a daze. Finally got the sachets the day after August bank holiday and had quite a lot of them over a few days. I had loads of blood tests done 2wks ago including electrolytes and they say everything is fine now except the lymphocytes, so it's just this flipping virus which won't go away :( must say though, water feels like purest nectar to me, I can actually feel it flooding into me which I normally can't, so I think so far it's the only thing that seems to soothe my system. Honestly I would eat sand if it would help right now! I might finish up the box and see if it helps, I think I've got one or two left. And both of you who suggested little and often, I think you're right, and I'm doing the best I can, even when I feel truly dreadful I know I've got to force a little bit of carbs in and have some novorapid, and fortunately I've managed to remember lantus every night. I suppose there's not much else to do, eh.

Hallii that's hilarious - "It was for the best really as I needed a bath in the morning"!!! I know exactly how you felt - I was desperate for a bath but I didn't dare get in the bath for 3 days because I knew that's exactly where I'd stay until - well, who knows!! I am going back to the doctor on Friday, I want more tests to see if it's going away, because I was meant to have an operation on the 20th and I've had to put it off for 6wks (for now) so I need to see how things are progressing. I have had omeprazole which is a strong antacid, I don't know if it's made a difference or not, but you're right there might be other things I can take. It's interesting to hear it slowed you down for quite a while - makes me feel slightly less abnormal!! It's full-on, eh. I wish I could have got away with not testing, I had to keep on at it even though I couldn't see straight and didn't know what day it was half the time, but I'm so ultra-fortunate that I didn't have a hypo - thank heavens for small mercies! Honestly I look back and wonder how I survived. I'll never do it again, I'll call 999 next time and let them work out the practicalities of getting me to hospital!

Tracey69

Hi
I hope all goes well at the doctors, I think that next time you call for help from the medical proffession as you may of recovered quicker, but then again you just don't know sometimes what to do for the best
Take care tracey

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
Had the very same gastroenteritis last Sunday, couldn't stop being sick and had non stop diarrhoea all day, eventually had to get my wife to call nhs 24 as I am type1 and couldn't keep food or water down and didn't have any insulin all day, spent 3 days in hospital on saline drips,now my bowels haven't moved since Monday

bmtest

I will give you some advice and its up to you if you take it basically you have to ride the storm continue with diabetes treatment and the toilet thing becomes a skill of timing and chance use every trick in the book. With anyhing like this I will eat regardless I never stop eating even if slowly and use meals like complan anything you find personally find easy.

The chronic fatigue I was diagnosed with in 1991 it took 5 years to go and it is one of those things you never think will go and you can never give a date to it, it just fades away, I discharged myself from clinic after 2 visits and always use the mindset it will go eventually and use this mindset for everything. How you feel today is what you adapt to if you survive 1 day you can survive 2 and so forth, your body fights most things it just takes time.