HbA1c 45

Mjb1408

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Seen the diabetic nurse for a review HbA1c is 45... Apparently too low for type 2 on insulin. Worried I am experiencing hypos and not noticing. BGS ranging from 7-16mmol over past week. Confused.com

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seen the diabetic nurse for a review HbA1c is 45... Apparently too low for type 2 on insulin. Worried I am experiencing hypos and not noticing. BGS ranging from 7-16mmol over past week. Confused.com
Often Clinics like to see HbA1c's slightly higher (with T1's and T2's on insulin) because they associate respectable HbA1c results with frequent hypos. Basically, those who aren't actually controlling their diabetes that well, present to the clinic with excellent HbA1c's through nothing more than constantly running low.

Providing your BG has been steady and you're not having more than 2-3 mild hypos per week then you can explain to her that you're doing just fine:)

The problem area tends to lie with overnight BGL's - and unless you're using CGM or FGM - you could be entirely unaware.

Is low BG something that you experience often @Mjb1408?

Mjb1408

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the reply @GrantGam!

I'm rarely below 7 when testing. If they get to within the 'acceptable range' I start to feel very ill. (Almost hypo-like symptoms.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm rarely below 7 when testing. If they get to within the 'acceptable range' I start to feel very ill. (Almost hypo-like symptoms.

What you're probably experiencing is called a false hypo and it's due to your body becoming too familiar with high BGL's, and mistaking "lower" for "low". The more time you spend in range, the sooner you'll start to feel normal again when you're in your BG is normal:)

Reactions: Mjb1408