Hba1c for 3 year old

twinklystar

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

my son is 3 and was diagnosed in January this year. He has had three clinic appointments since then, for the last two his Hba1c was tested. In April it qas 51 and it was still 51 in july. I'm a bit confused because I thought it would have changed, can anyone tell me what this means for him. Harry's nurse or consultant didn't really say anything about it being the same at each visit.

Thank you
Stacey x

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
In a person with T2, it's good if the HbA1c is dropping towards the normal range, but in a 3 year old with T1, then staying the same at 51 is a very good thing. If it was rising close to or beyond 60, that would need attention.

twinklystar

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and thank you both for your replies.
My son is T1 yes. I was expecting him to have varied readings because I was told it would take a while for him to have good control, with us still still being in the first year after diagnosis. I assumed that his first 51 was because he was having lots of hypos to begin with until we changed his levemir dose.
I didn't realise that with T1 the hba1c should be slightly higher, my only other knowledge is an older relative with T2. I'm happy that his numbers are good, they weren't explained to me properly so I thought I'd ask here.