HbA1c level

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After being newly diagnosed and still waiting to see the diabetic nurse I posted on here to get some advice..everyone said to get a print out of my blood results.. it’s took me a couple of days and my HbA1c is 95 mmol/mol....I assume it’s bad...but how bad is that ??

Reactions: kokhongw

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After being newly diagnosed and still waiting to see the diabetic nurse I posted on here to get some advice..everyone said to get a print out of my blood results.. it’s took me a couple of days and my HbA1c is 95 mmol/mol....I assume it’s bad...but how bad is that ??
It's quite bad and means that you are in fact diabetic; not prediabetic as your profile shows.

Depending on the type of diabetes you have, you should get some constructive advice on here with regards to regaining control of your BG. Ultimately, you should see a massive reduction in that HbA1c value.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply
No problem.

I'm going on the assumption that you are a type 2 diabetic? It may benefit you to change this in your profile. It does help tailor the best answers and suggestions for how best to manage your diabetes.

I'm sure you'll hear some first hand success stories from other members shortly.

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I’m been left in Limbo by my surgery with no information not even telling me what type I was... excuse my ignorance but I’m underweight if anything, and finding it hard to accept I’m diabetic..but hey ho.. onwards we go... how do you change your profile I’ve had a look can’t see how it can be done

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

An HbA1c above 47 is diabetic.

To change your diabetes status, just go to your profile settings where you will see a drop down box with various choices, one of which is Type 2. If it subsequently turns out you are a late onset Type 1 (LADA) you can always change it.

It is perfectly possible to be a Type 2 if you are thin. It isn't a pre-requisite to be fat! There are many reasons why a person becomes T2 diabetic.

Did you also have a fasting blood glucose test ? Does it mention a plasma blood test on your print out?

There are specific tests you can have to check if you are more likely to be a Type 1. C-Peptide and GAD tests. Do you know if you had these? If you didn't, then your doctor is assuming you are T2. but of course, he may be wrong in assuming that without evidence.

You now need to get hold of a blood glucose meter. These are essential tools in the management of diabetes. It may be that your nurse will give you one, but if you are T2 this is unlikely. The most popular ones for self funding T2s are the Codefree and the Tee2. You can't get these at pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Please read round, and ask as many questions as you like, and make a start by looking at the role of carbohydrate in the management of diabetes.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
It's the first reading. See what you can do to make your next one less, it's a long term game to play.

You can do it. I was a much higher on diagnosis, I did and I am an idiot!

ask lots of questions and try things, changes to your diet, changes to what you drink. Test, try again. read lots

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

I was at 98 on diagnosis, four months later and my HbA1c was 43. So lowering your level can be done. It takes hard work but the benefits are huge, not only physically but mentally. I am no longer in panic mode and
it is thanks to the advice I got here on the forum. Do some reading and then decide how you are going to tackle this and ask any questions that you might have. Good luck.

Reactions: mike gibson

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I’m been left in Limbo by my surgery with no information not even telling me what type I was... excuse my ignorance but I’m underweight if anything, and finding it hard to accept I’m diabetic..but hey ho.. onwards we go... how do you change your profile I’ve had a look can’t see how it can be done
I guess there's little point in changing your profile until you have a definitive answer to what diabetes type you have. It must be horrible being left in limbo, but push your Dr to find out - as it's your health ultimately.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold

Lots of people here and at your health care providers are going to tell you lots. Some of it will be long winded and conflicting. My advise is to get yourself a blood glucose monitor asap. Then Monitor your levels before and after meals and find out for yourself what's causing your problem. If you are type 2 I'd bet you can sort out your sugar issues yourself quite quickly. I don't know about type 1 Did you mAnage to get a print out of your results from the surgery? If you don't mind sharing the numbers there are many good people here who can help. I wish you well and good luck. This time last year I was pretty much where you are now and I remember the shock of it. Luckily I found this forum and discovered that I could get almost instant answers. They weren't always spot on but helped me become self sufficient. Good luck with it and don't be afraid to ask anything.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I was 90 on diagnosis. But following advice on here my latest was 37. That was 9 months. It can be done.

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure what other numbers to supply but the plasma glucose level is 17.9 mmol/L I guess this is the one I monitor via a glucose meter ??

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure what other numbers to supply but the plasma glucose level is 17.9 mmol/L I guess this is the one I monitor via a glucose meter ??

Yes, that is the same measurement unit our meters use.

17.9 is high, but many on here had higher. Once you get going with a suitable diet you can get this right down. You really need a glucose meter!

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that. I shall get one tmw...this forum has been really helpful these past few days... many thanks

Reactions: Bluetit1802

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that. I shall get one tmw...this forum has been really helpful these past few days... many thanks
That's the one where you can see what effect certain foods do on a short term basis, and what caused me to realise just how bad the 'healthy' breakfast cereals were. After a couple of meals where I saw silly numbers I started to realise what I could and couldn't eat. My A1c numbers show how adapting what I eat from that learning made a real difference.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed last November, Hba1c of 91 and blood glucose 17.1mmol/l.
Apart from a few experiments to see how some foods affected me I have eaten low carb eves since, but I was no longer diabetic in 80 days. At 6 months I was not even prediabetic but in the normal range and my Hba1c was 41. Last time I checked my BG level was a few days ago before eating and it was 4.8 mmol/l so I think that I am fairly settled in the normal range and don't need to be too concerned about diabetes now.
I do count myself lucky in that I do not need to be concerned with injecting insulin, but if you do need it then you will be able to get lots of advice from your HCPs and also people on the forum who are living with daily inputs of different insulins.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That is pretty much near the top end of the scale :). But quite a few of us have been there and back.

You may find my simplified blog helpful.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/newbie-guide-to-t2d.1858/

@daisy1 will fill you in with more details.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@mikegibson

Hello Mike and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will answer on this thread.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

O

oh_dear_me

I was diagnosed type 2 in April hba1c 109...my goodness that was a shock! Three months later hba1c was 52. Getting a blood glucose monitor has been invaluable to me and also trying to stick to a low carb diet. This forum has been such a support and you'll find some great advice on here :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’m been left in Limbo by my surgery with no information not even telling me what type I was... excuse my ignorance but I’m underweight if anything, and finding it hard to accept I’m diabetic..but hey ho.. onwards we go...

I am skinny, have been all my life. Was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes at age 59 nine months ago. Initially extremely hard to accept. At the time, I had the very common (but erroneous) attitude that diabetes was something that only happened to overweight or obese people. Now, I know much better.

I had been sedentary for a very long time, and although I did a fair amount of exercise during weekends and holidays (hiking, mainly) there were weeks that went by when I was mainly sitting behind a desk. I was also eating (and drinking!) massive quantities of carbohydrates (see signature below). Did this lifestyle help cause my diabetes? Medical science can only really answer that question with a "maybe." My doctor said there was also a good chance that it was genetic. I do have another T2 diabetic in my close family -- a first cousin -- who was not overweight, and very physically active, at diagnosis. So my advice is to try to avoid the "blame game" and just work on getting better. At the beginning, this is easier said than done. I had a period of "mourning" of several weeks after diagnosis.

While your HbA1C at diagnosis shows you squarely in the diabetic range, IF it turns out to be Type 2 diabetes you may be able to bring it completely under control with a "low-carbohydrate diet" and exercise. When I say "under control" I mean: back to "normal" levels, just like a non-diabetic person, and avoiding the possible complications of the disease, as long as you stick to the diet for the rest of your life. I say "may" because we are all different, and also because the low-carb diet is controversial and not accepted by many in the medical community (so there is a lot of strong anecdotal proof, but little in the way of controlled studies). This forum is an excellent source of information.

I don't know much about Type 1, but even if that is what you turn out to have, you may find benefits in a low-carb diet.

Frankly, I was initially pessimistic that the low-carb diet would "work" for me, even though it was prescribed by my doctor (he is rather unusual in this respect; many doctors would have put me on drugs immediately). The pessimism was the result of researching the "conventional medical wisdom" here in America, which tends to "sideline" the low-carb method and gives the impression that it only works for a very small number of people. Or, that you must eat carbs for your health. Well, it worked for me and it is definitely worth a try if your circumstances make it appropriate.

From one recently diagnosed person to another: Welcome, and good luck!