1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HBa1c normal but fasting still too high.

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by toryroo, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

TOFI is a good, simple description of people who are 'Thin on the Outside but Fat on the Inside'. I learned a (for me) a clearer definition just recently and that is MONW ie Metabolically Obese Normal Weight. I fall into this category. It took me a while to accept that I was T2 until I got my head around this. I am as obese at my weight as those who are obese on the outside. The risks for both are exactly the same which posits the theory that there may be hundreds of thousands of people walking around undiagnosed simply because of the way they 'look'. Scary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@Grateful, still inspirational I feel! To get down to 30 from 67? Absolutely. As for the 10 years thing - yeah - I guess that is true for us all? And not too much info! Not at all. That's what many of us are online here for - to read and glean as much from fellow diabetics/people with diabetes. as possible.

I track my weight-diabetes thing (if I can call it that, lol) by height to waist ratio, and my measuring tape is far more used than my scales. (I am a muscular type and have always weighed more than I look, so BMIs don't tend to reflect that so well).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

One of the things it really highlights is that we still don't know much about what causes T2. There is clearly an "association" between visible obesity and T2, but association does not prove the direction of causation (obesity => diabetes or alternatively, diabetes => obesity).

In my case, a strong association between couch potato => T2 diabetes and high-carb-diet = > T2 diabetes. But hundreds of millions of people have far worse couch/diet behaviors and never get T2. So not clear how the causative link works.

My doctor, in a very friendly way, averred (at diagnosis) that it could very well be genetic. (I have one first-cousin with T1 and another first-cousin with T2, both of them with "normal" body types and one of them in a very physically active job.)

Interesting.

4. Guzzler

Obesity is a symptom. It really is as simple as that. High blood glucose is also a symptom, it just happens to be the last symptom to show up. No one knows what causes Diabetes of any type, it may be that a gene or group of genes are responsible but in the case of T2 is seems that there may be triggers involved. This is why blaming one aspect of a diagnosis eg diet alone is a fairly useless excercise. We can speculate on the causes but one thing that is a definite is that IR is a major player and that having control of IR whilst having a western diet is proving nigh on impossible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Grateful

@Guzzler: I'm feeling a bit dim tonight, what is "IR"? Thanks.

6. Guzzler

That's fine, IR is Insulin Resistance/Resistant.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Grateful

Thanks, and goodnight. BTW I am a graduate of one of the institutions founded by William of Wykeham. Good man.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Guzzler

Indeed, an admirable man. Goodnight and stay well.

9. gardengnome42

gardengnome42 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

But she can enjoy the delicious French cheeses on a low carb diet! ;) Still calories though I suppose.

10. caroline_92

caroline_92 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

French cheeses - yum!!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook