HBA1c result back

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:) Type 2 not on medication can have hypo...especially if they have restored some of their insulin sensitivity to pre-diabetes level. But such hypo's are typically reactive hypo. That means it is typically triggered by a relatively high carbs meal, resulting in a delayed excessive insulin response. So when the glucose level falls rapadly 3-4 hours after the meal, the hypo symptoms would set in. BTW I just had one at 3.2 mmol (61 mg/dl).

Thank you for correcting me, I did not know that. It sounds like this is similar to "non-diabetic hypoglycemia" (http://www.hormone.org/diseases-and-conditions/diabetes/non-diabetic-hypoglycemia). It is described as "rare" for non-diabetics. Is it also relatively rare for people with diabetes, if they are not taking any meds?

According to the above-linked website, this kind of hypoglycemia "happens to people with diabetes when they have a mismatch of medicine, food, and/or exercise."

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for correcting me, I did not know that. It sound like this is similar to "non-diabetic hypoglycemia" (http://www.hormone.org/diseases-and-conditions/diabetes/non-diabetic-hypoglycemia). It is described as "rare" for non-diabetics. Is it also relatively rare for people with diabetes, if they are not taking any meds?

One example where it happens to healthy non-diabetics and diabetics alike is following a big alcohol session........ this is what some hangovers are. Just low blood sugars that make you feel lousy, and remedied by eating something stodgy and drinking loads of water.

Reactions: Freema

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is described as "rare" for non-diabetics. Is it also relatively rare for people with diabetes, if they are not taking any meds?

According to the above-linked website, this kind of hypoglycemia "happens to people with diabetes when they have a mismatch of medicine, food, and/or exercise."

Actually I believe it is much more common than we realize. I have had this condition for well over 30 years...and it was only after my T2D diagnosis and reading about reactive hypoglycemia from this forum that I connected the dots...

Before we progressed to T2D, we tend to have delayed and excessive insulin responses that are many times above the normal levels. This drives down our glucose level sharply and makes us extremely hungry 3-4 hours after meals. This goes into a vicious cycle of overfeeding etc...

The most effective way to break this vicious cycle of rollercoaster glucose/insulin mismatch is simply to reduce carbs and eat more protein/fats that does not require as much insulin.

21617677_1480400812054365_6397910844440253685_n.jpg