HbA1c result - Quite Disappointed

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Doctor has just phoned with my last test result - 43 - so feeling quite disappointed. Have been keeping such a close eye on my diet. Not close enough, it would seem.

K

Kat100

Hi lynn , how are you doing ..

Goodness 43 , I think lots of people would say 43 was good ....

How far do you want it to come down , what ever is right for you it must be ...

I function between a hba1c reading of either 39 or 41 any lower is not right for me ...

What ever you are aiming for I wish you well ...kat

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey!!!! It has gone down. It may only be a tad down, but still down, and a good reading.

I do understand though. I was really disappointed with my last HbA1c (also 43) as my own records led me to expect 40ish. So I know how you feel after working so hard. Perhaps it's time to go back to basics. Scrutinise your food diary and levels, have a look at what you can tweak. A few less carbs is probably the way forward, smaller portions of anything carby and more frequent testing out your meals. Try aiming for a lower post prandial target (whatever suits you best) and most of all, no stressing about it. ;)

Could the test have been skewed in some way? Such as, are you anaemic?

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Was so hoping to drop into non-diabetic range. Into hospital on 18th March and am so worried my diet/stress etc will push me higher again..

Need all the support I can get at the moment.

Thanks for replying.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey!!!! It has gone down. It may only be a tad down, but still down, and a good reading.

I do understand though. I was really disappointed with my last HbA1c (also 43) as my own records led me to expect 40ish. So I know how you feel after working so hard. Perhaps it's time to go back to basics. Scrutinise your food diary and levels, have a look at what you can tweak. A few less carbs is probably the way forward, smaller portions of anything carby and more frequent testing out your meals. Try aiming for a lower post prandial target (whatever suits you best) and most of all, no stressing about it. ;)

Could the test have been skewed in some way? Such as, are you anaemic?

My ESR reading (inflammation marker) is still extremely high at 83 due to polymyalgia. That might well have affected my score.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It has come down which is a good thing. I don't know what you eat but it could be that you need to tweak the amount of carbs a bit more. I also find that things like bread ( apart from spelt) , spuds etc spike me far more than leafy and other root veg even if the total carb content is the same.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The steroids you take won't be helping your BS levels. It may be that you have to settle for a higher than you'd like HbA1c while you are on them.

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All hope you are all having a good day. Is there a way of telling what your HbA1c) level is or is the only way the six month check up with the DN thanks

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It has come down which is a good thing. I don't know what you eat but it could be that you need to tweak the amount of carbs a bit more. I also find that things like bread ( apart from spelt) , spuds etc spike me far more than leafy and other root veg even if the total carb content is the same.
Hardly touch bread and have the smallest amount of potato. Obviously must try harder. Problem is, I thought I was trying extemely hard, so this result has thrown me somewhat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, fighting steroids and their ability to raise levels is hard. Perhaps you should be kinder on yourself.

How many grams of carbs are you allowing yourself?

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, fighting steroids and their ability to raise levels is hard. Perhaps you should be kinder on yourself.

How many grams of carbs are you allowing yourself?
Haven't been measuring grams of carbs. Have been relying on testing BS levels.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you give us an example of your menus and corresponding BS levels just so we can see if tweaking might help?

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Typical menu:

Breakfast Fage yogurt, 3 strawbs and flaxseed. 6.0/6.2

Lunch Tuna mayonnaise, avocado 5.3/6.5

Dinner Pork chop, runner beans, raspberries and double cream 5.8/5.9

Prebreakfast readings are almost always around 6.1. Because of knee pain, I sleep badly and am really restless.

maggiedog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Going to the gym
Doctor has just phoned with my last test result - 43 - so feeling quite disappointed. Have been keeping such a close eye on my diet. Not close enough, it would seem.
Hello Lynn,
Mine fluctuates between 41 and 64. Spare you taking any medication? Good luck

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Typical menu:

Breakfast Fage yogurt, 3 strawbs and flaxseed. 6.0/6.2

Lunch Tuna mayonnaise, avocado 5.3/6.5

Dinner Pork chop, runner beans, raspberries and double cream 5.8/5.9

Prebreakfast readings are almost always around 6.1. Because of knee pain, I sleep badly and am really restless.

The lunch tuna mayo is that just on own or with bread?