HbA1c units changing 1 Oct

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
@ Nigel, Dave and Robin - lots of people said that back in 1971 when they introduced decimalisation but I dont think anyone talks in pounds shillings and pence now :wink:

BBC 15th Feb 1971 said:
Chairman of the British Bankers' Association decimalisation committee, Bernard Sharpe, made clear old coins would not last.

"There is no case whatever for the retention of the sixpence in a decimal currency system, except for sentimentality for the 'dear old tanner'," he said.

I still have a ten bob note somewhere, I cant think of a memento of this change over to keep though, perhaps an old log book :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
They write mine down in 'both' the new and the old ...
This way they are in keeping with the new and I am happier with the old more familiar "%"

Wish they would quit - keep changing things we have had for yonks and are so familiar with .
[this is just me thinking out aloud here!]

Anna.

Winterhawk

Why fix what isn't broken. It's typical of pedantic managers in the health profession who feel the need to justify thier existence. The system we use works but by continually changing things they self perpetuate the myth that they are irreplaceable and value for money. When in reality they are just a pointless drain on recources in a tick box culture.

Jimbobdad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Rudeness and abruptness.
Hi, Taking insulin is fairly new to me, can anyone tell me if it is important to know your HbA1c? I have never been told, and never asked as I did not know what is meant.

Thanks
:?:

sparkyrich

Hi Jimbobdad, you'll find loads of info about hba1c if you do a search of the forum. This is an ancient thread ( though someone posted on it fairly recently). You might be better off starting your own thread and hopefully getting some good advice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Can someone explain what the mmol/l is please ?
I just had my HbA1c mmol/mol results of 39, which I think translates to 5.7 in old money.
But what is mmol/l?

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
Oh no!! Not another change. I'm just about getting used to my weight being given me in kilos !!