HbA1c

• Thread starter Deleted member 371625
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 371625

I finally had another HbA1c test, 6 months after diagnosis and nearly 5 months since I have been getting BG readings within the non diabetic range. The result was 32 which didn't come as any surprise.
Since losing weight I now seem able to eat whatever I like without any problematic readings, I do always test after heavy carb meals such as paella or fish & chips without getting high readings. On Monday I had an ice cream (2 hour pp, BG 4.7), and fish and chips at the seaside (2 hour pp, BG 5.0) with no ill effects.
Has anyone else had similar experiences?

No results or symptoms (I never had any at all) suggest that I am diabetic, though the GP insists that I must be even though he cannot provide any current evidence to support this. I had the OGTT a few weeks ago and after 2 hours had a BG of 5.2.

Does anybody know whether it is possible to be classed as non diabetic eventually? It probably makes little difference apart from cheaper travel insurance but would prefer to be able to say no if asked whether I am suffering from a chronic condition, if only that it can get dull explaining that 'no I have no symptoms, nor any adverse test results'.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @midnightrider! Well done on your HbA1c result! My experience is similar. I did start with a lower HbA1c of 49 on diagnosis and reduced it to 39 by my 12 month retest, though it was probably in the non-diabetic range before then if my fbgs were anything to go by (see figures below).
I too can eat things like biriani and pizza now and get readings of around 5.5 two hours later. My fbgs are usually around 6.3 and readings through the day are around 5.5. I still think I might have been misdiagnosed, or my bs reading on diagnosis was raised by the statins i was taking at the time, or by hayfever.
But that might also just be denial. I take the original diagnosis as a warning, which I had to heed. If I hadn't changed what I ate and started exercising again I might have caused more damage to my pancreas.
The only thing really that it affects is that I have to pay more if I want diabetes to be covered on my travel insurance. I didn't have to pay for my prescriptions as I had hyperthyroidism and i am over 60. If you don't have any other long term conditions and you are under 60 you will be saving on prescriptions!

I have read on here that some T2s say their GPs are telling them they are no longer diabetic if they have non-diabetic HbA1c readings two years in a row. that might be to save the NHS money on check-ups, tests, and prescriptions.
I am due my next HbA1c in September. I expect to be in the non-diabetic range again and am interested to see whether my GP thinks I am still diabetic.

Edit: I have never had any symptoms either.

Reactions: slip

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No results or symptoms (I never had any at all) suggest that I am diabetic

Surely your first week FBG and 6pm blood test results undermine your statement?! However you've done extremely well to loose the weight and fortunate enough for that change alone to 'fix' your blood sugar anomaly - well done!

As for being de-classified as diabetic, I think some GPs would record you as being in remission, it might be worth talking to your GP, and agree a set point in time that if all being well they would take you off the diabetes register?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing really that it affects is that I have to pay more if I want diabetes to be covered on my travel insurance
I think you need to shop around. I declared my diabetes but it didn't affect the price.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As for being de-classified, it's a question in my mind also. I have managed to get pre-diabetic readings for some years now and this year I didn't get the appointment letter. Either I am better or there has been a **** up somewhere. Right now I'm enjoying not rushing from pillar to post being tested for allsorts and it feels like I have been let out of prison but I might calm down later.

Reactions: DeejayR and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think you need to shop around. I declared my diabetes but it didn't affect the price.
I did get quotes from different insurers. Most put on a pre-existing medical condition premium on when I declared T2 diabetes in the medical screening questions. It might not be due entirely to the T2 as I also declared depression and hypothyroidism.
Only one I have found so far (Staysure) where I can exclude the pre-existing condition, which lowers the price by about £130 (for a Worldwide excl USA, Canada & Caribbean single 60 day trip cover). It would mean that I would not be covered for anything possibly arising from these conditions including strokes or heart attacks.
I will probably take this as I don't expect to need treatment for any of my pre-existing conditions. I only take it out to cover accident injury really.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Even if my GP were to say I am no longer diabetic I think I would have to declare it for travel insurance as the question on the medical screening is 'Have you ever been diagnosed with....' iirc.

D

Deleted member 371625

Even if my GP were to say I am no longer diabetic I think I would have to declare it for travel insurance as the question on the medical screening is 'Have you ever been diagnosed with....' iirc.
The one that I am looking at (12 months including USA) asks no medical questions, just says that it will not cover any pre-existing condition. I am happy to take a chance that I won't have any blood sugar issues, but they say that this may affect heart attack or stroke as these are 'caused by diabetes'. Obviously a heart attack without cover in the USA could potentially bankrupt most people so one hell of a risk. Hence, being certified as having no existing conditions would be ideal.
I have found an option where insurance is based on a medical examination, which would be the best issue I think. So long as GP has performed certain tests in last 6 months, e.g. blood pressure, HbA1c, cholesterol and a handful of others the insurance can be arranged without any extra testing, just a copy of your results is fine.

D

Deleted member 371625

Surely your first week FBG and 6pm blood test results undermine your statement?! However you've done extremely well to loose the weight and fortunate enough for that change alone to 'fix' your blood sugar anomaly - well done!
ister?

I meant no overt symptoms, eyes, feet, thirst, tiredness etc.
I just wondered whether there are any alternative reasons for high BG. After reading people's experiences here, I thought that my BG, HbA1c came down without very much effort, which is unlike others experiences; just a few weeks of eating a little less and taking a little more exercise. It has also stayed down, regardless of present diet and without any meds.
If it is really as easy as it appears then more people would be able to do it perhaps - or was I just lucky - or is it an alternative reason, such as a different reason for the initial high values?

Reactions: slip

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The one that I am looking at (12 months including USA) asks no medical questions, just says that it will not cover any pre-existing condition. I am happy to take a chance that I won't have any blood sugar issues, but they say that this may affect heart attack or stroke as these are 'caused by diabetes'. Obviously a heart attack without cover in the USA could potentially bankrupt most people so one hell of a risk. Hence, being certified as having no existing conditions would be ideal.
I have found an option where insurance is based on a medical examination, which would be the best issue I think. So long as GP has performed certain tests in last 6 months, e.g. blood pressure, HbA1c, cholesterol and a handful of others the insurance can be arranged without any extra testing, just a copy of your results is fine.
If you haven't already checked it, get a quote from Insureandgo. I just found that if I take out their Annual Worldwide Gold cover, it still works out at less than I had been quoted by Staysure for a Single Trip. And the Insureandgo Gold policy covers trips up to 90 days.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried HolidayRisk.com? For myself and my wife, the total premium for 2 weeks in Italy, was about £35 which included my diabetes (no extra) and my wife's multiple conditions including a heart attack. I found this company asked sensible questions. Not just "have you ever had a heart attack?" but "how long ago?", "are you still having treatment?" etc.

Hm112819

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Exactly the same experience, diagnosed with HB1AC of 54, lost 5 stone. Through exercise, I can now eat what I want.

I'd imagine if I put the weight back on diabetes would return.

Just had a blood test today, so I'll see how low (or not) I've gone.

Reactions: slip and Prem51

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it is really as easy as it appears then more people would be able to do it perhaps - or was I just lucky - or is it an alternative reason, such as a different reason for the initial high values?

For all the T2s out there I really wish all of them found it as easy as you did. :)

I'm no doctor so whether you were just lucky or if there was some other cause for the high BG who knows??! I would only assume more blood tests would need to be done, especial on your initial blood samples which have probably long gone, again no idea what they could test for!! :wideyed:

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations with your results. I have been reading a lot of research, yes it is possible to reverse type 2 diabetes.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you tried HolidayRisk.com? For myself and my wife, the total premium for 2 weeks in Italy, was about £35 which included my diabetes (no extra) and my wife's multiple conditions including a heart attack. I found this company asked sensible questions. Not just "have you ever had a heart attack?" but "how long ago?", "are you still having treatment?" etc.
Thanks for your suggestion. I checked out holidayrisk this afternoon. Their annual policy doesn't cover trips over 31 days for over-65s. The cost for a single trip would have been just around £23 less than the Annual Worldwide Gold cover with Insureandgo, so I will be taking that as I might have other trips.

Reactions: dbr10

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just paid about £310 for an annual travel insurance with Staysure - my cover was £40.00 with diabetes, hypothyroidism and the fact that I was advised to take statins etc - the rest was my husbands who has various cardiac 'issues' such as replacement heart valve, aortic root replacement and pace-maker. In looking at the insurance by declaring diabetes I am covered for most things inc strokes and heat attacks so I guess that's reassuring!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've just paid about £310 for an annual travel insurance with Staysure - my cover was £40.00 with diabetes, hypothyroidism and the fact that I was advised to take statins etc
My quote was almost £100 to cover T2, depression, hypothyroidism, and high cholesterol, for a single trip cover (57 days). But I will be over 65. Staysure didn't have Annual Worldwide cover for over 65s which would include trips over 31 days.
Insureand go said they would cover trips of up to 90 days on their Gold cover if I took out the policy before my 66th birthday (next week). It cost £122.20.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems travel insurance varies a lot with age as well as declared medical conditions. My wife and I have been abroad every year for the past 20 or so years. This year we are going to Cornwall. It will be my 70th birthday so I was allowed to choose. So, no travel insurance, airport parking, security checks, waiting in departures, boring flight, car hire etc. I hate air travel as I did too much of it for work before I retired. Of course if the weather lets us down, I will be over-ruled and we will be back to Spain or Italy next year even with over 70's travel insurance!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems travel insurance varies a lot with age as well as declared medical conditions. My wife and I have been abroad every year for the past 20 or so years. This year we are going to Cornwall. It will be my 70th birthday so I was allowed to choose. So, no travel insurance, airport parking, security checks, waiting in departures, boring flight, car hire etc. I hate air travel as I did too much of it for work before I retired. Of course if the weather lets us down, I will be over-ruled and we will be back to Spain or Italy next year even with over 70's travel insurance!
We go to Cornwall every couple if years - rain or shine it's a great place to be! It was only last year, when he was 60, that my husband got his first passport so we are getting used to travelling abroad but still intend to holiday at home as well. We looked at going to the US but with insurance at £540.00 for one trip we've decided against it for now.