HBA1c

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi it's my daughters first test 2mo of her Hba1c levels ,do they also check eyes and feet or anything else at this appointment ,just wondering what to expect

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I think you may find its different everywhere depending on where you live. When the hosptal team test my HBA1C periodically they check my blood pressure and weigh me too. They also test my injection/pump sites and question me on hypo awareness, food intake and general well being. I have my eyes tested annually but that's organised from a central place somewhere - I just get notified of my appointment through the post from Retinpoathy Screening Wales. I also get my kidneys and urine checked and cholestrol but that seems to be arranged ad-hoc when I see my GP for something and it flashes up on his screen that these tests are overdue. Not sure if I'd get a reminder in the post or not. No one seems to look at my feet anymore.
It seems a bit disjointed but I have to day all these tests always seem to get done regularly.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same as above for me. Hba1c done at hospital along with weight, blood pressure little chat with consultant/dianetic nurse depending who's there. Eyes done once yearly. Am asked for urine sample also.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Ok thank you really nervous about it I no when we check her sugars there good but its the times we don't like in the night I worry about and hopefully this test shows this ,glad they check injection sites as well as for some reason her legs are covered in bruises arms are ok but legs bruise like mad

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The hba1c test will only show an average, but will not show if high/low in the night. eg If low in the night dropping to 3.0 without waking (can and does happen) followed by the body kicking out glucose and going to 7, this would average out at 5.0. try not to worry though as this would usually wake someone just trying to advise. I do routinely check my levels at 3am to make sure all ok maybe once a month.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I have started checking in night if she's had a low day,I'm sneaky and check her toes as not to wake her . Even a average will help me chill a bit if its good its all i think about,getting it right and I think if her average is good I can at least feel a bit bettrrthat I am looking after her as well as I can .im really looking forward to the pump to help with great bloods but dreading the high bloods until its set right ,the nurse sai it can be a bit crazy the first week so doing it oct school holidays and I'm going to book the week off work .

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try and chill, seems like your doing a fab job :) pump can take a while to get sorted, especially when the long acting is still working as can take 2~3 days after stopping to get out of system completely, they wil advise on this though so chill lol.

CambridgeLass

Hi Shell, with the younger ones under 12 they just do hb1ac, weight, height & urine sample - that's what we do. Oh, and consultant should look at injection sites. They'll look over last couple of weeks of monitor data & this is your chance to talk about what you want to know & what they could help you with x

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Cambridgelass,how old is your child?im just writing down some questions now so I don't forget anything .always have loads of questions I think the nurse hates coming to my house I never let her leave haha

CambridgeLass

Our DSNs are so overworked I don't believe they do house visits! Never had one. My DD is 7, dx 8 months ago now. Last visit I was concerned about night nights so we trialled a CGM which I was ever so nervous about - and she was fine [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]. She said it was just like an injection and after the first day she forgot about it. And on the last day she took it off herself - comes off like a plaster. Comforting for me as I know she'll be OK with cannula's when we move to a pump - that was suggested too. Have come around to the idea now. Looks like lots of hard work but worth it. Have you any support groups where you are? Its helpful to meet other mums if T1 kids. Also some FB forums, I look at these often as it gives me insight into the challenges ahead! x

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I seem lucky with my area we had a nurse everyday for a week or so then few times a week but now after 4 months I just see her if I need to but can ring anytime which is reassuring as we still only getting to grips with things .whats a CGM ?night are scary I hope as most people have told me she will wake in night if low but touch wood she has not had a hypo on the night yet which I no about.chloe was really against the pumps with wires but they offered us the omnipod brought it to the house and let her try It on its so tiny and she loves the thought of one injection every 3 days I just hope it's everything that she's hoping for .i need to look into somewhere I can meet other parents I have great friends and family but there not going through this 24/7 and would like to talk to someone who nos exactly what I'm feeling and why x

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cgm is a continuous glucose monitor. Hospitals usually let people borrow them but don't fund them permanently sure to cost of sensors. Monitors glucose levels 24\7 with alarms if outside set parameters. Patients usually have then for a week or two, then data is downloaded for results. Very handy thing~a~me~bobby. Not asked our had one yet myself but very good to see overnight trends without having to test regular.

CambridgeLass

That's great that you've been offered one so soon. I'm sure Chloe will be fine on it, control will be much better. And rest assured things things are only going to get smaller and more innovative. Yes, CGM is what Brett said. We borrowed one for 6 days/nights and got given fancy charts showing how out of range her levels are!! [FLUSHED FACE] Hope clinic appt goes well. Helpful to take questions in with you too. You might meet families there - or ask DSN what's around. x

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,just to let u no Chloe's HBA1c level was 6.9 we are over the moon and we on list to borrow the CGM machine,thanks everyone on the advice x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Shell1 said:
Hi,just to let u no Chloe's HBA1c level was 6.9 we are over the moon and we on list to borrow the CGM machine,thanks everyone on the advice x

That's great news :thumbup:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's fantastic! You're obviously both doing a good job!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Great result :wave:

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks ,nurse said people without diabetes score a 5 and nhs guidelines want diabetics under 7 so maybe can get a bit lower next time but overall really pleased ,Chloe won't be getting pump in October now as the pct changed so will be a little delay but we said were happy till wait for the accu check one that's due out in may its even smaller than the omnipod !!and she will have been diagnosed just over a year so will have more knowledge to help us with adjusting to pumping

CambridgeLass

Yeah!!! That's fantastic, well done! CGM is very educational to see the data. I experimented a bit with cereals to see effect and once bloused 40 min before breakfast which had a profound effect on reducing the spike. Hadn't heard about the new accu check- will check it out! x