Headache that won't go

SewK8

Hello

I am really struggling with headaches at the moment.

It started Saturday afternoon and was intense. I have migraines but this came in so fast and went just as quick about an hour later.

The I woke up at 2am with it again. Took paracetamol and it was gone again in about 90 min but woke up at breakfast with it.

This has been almost the same pattern all week now. Bloods have been ok, no lows but today I woke at 13.

The pain is incredible when it starts and always over my left eye, I feel like I am going mad with it.

Has anyone else had bad headaches like this and if so, what's the best painkiller to take as nothing seems to be helping or working fast enough to help.

Kat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kellibabi

Hi,

I can identify with this 100%.
I have a near CONSTANT headache that stays in the background during the day & wakes me up 2/3 times per night.

Currently I take 1 ibuprofen when it wakes me during the night & 2 during the day.
Also on prescription, I have Sumatriptan (same as Immigran Recovery) this is approx £7 for 2 tablets (you only need to take 1).
As a prescription, I get 6 in a pack (free, as I no longer have to pay for prescriptions). These are a BIG help.

I think it may be due to high blood sugar (mine has always been all over the place) & I'm due to bo onto Bydureon (one injection per week) soon. I'm hoping this will give some relief.

I also make sure to drink plenty of water when the pain hits as being a bit dehydrated can also cause headaches.

Might be worth chatting to your GP about Sumatriptan as a short-term option.
As you don't state if you're T1 or T2, I can't say if your meds are having an effect.

If you're a T2, it might be worth asking about Bydureon (perhaps as a trial) to see if this also helps.

Hope that's of some use! :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I regularly suffer with this.

I take any form of liquid capsule painkiller. Usually ibuprofen.

I had a post similar to this a few weeks ago, but my headaches magically stopped as usual! I was about to phone the doctor as they really wouldn't shift.

Are you type 1 or 2? As a type 1 if you wake up with the headaches it could be that you're going hypo through the night and your liver is dumping glucose to stop it and the effort involved results in a headache. That would explain the morning highs

Just an idea!

SewK8

Hello

Thank u for ur replies.

I am type 1 for 28 yrs. when it has woken me I have always tested and it has been in the 8's. I have been having issues with DP but that seems under control a bit more now.

I will try the liquid ibuprofen as I think it works faster?

Just hope they stop soon

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
SewK8 said:
Hello

Thank u for ur replies.

I am type 1 for 28 yrs. when it has woken me I have always tested and it has been in the 8's. I have been having issues with DP but that seems under control a bit more now.

I will try the liquid ibuprofen as I think it works faster?

Just hope they stop soon

Yup they're much faster. I avoid anything with "express" on it though as it usually means they've added caffeine and caffeine is a migraine trigger for me.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
SewK8, as it's been going on for 5 days now I would see your gp asap, probably nothing to serious but just the same it's always better to get these things looked at just to be on the safe side.

SewK8

Hello

Thought I would do an update.

I saw my gp who gave me ibuprofen and seemed very uninterested.

Had my eyes tested and have new glasses now but still having the awful headaches.

I spoke to my DSN who thinks it could be diabetes related and has been helping me but no real change.

Tomorrow I have a cgms for a week and they hope to get some detailed info from it.

I do find the headaches are worse as my sugars are going up quickly. My sugars can be very erratic with a lot of sudden swings.

I hope it gets sorted soon

Kat

elaine77

Hi I've just noticed this post and find it really interesting because I too have suffered with headaches since I was diagnosed. When my BS goes high I get a headache but the worst headaches are when I wake up in the morning but I check my BS and its about 7 mmol.... There have been times I've had a really bad headache and tested my blood and its been 4-5 mmol aswell and so i started thinking maybe it wansnt anything to do with the diabetes.....but it seems a huge coincidence that I didn't have them until diagnosed......

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm also in the same boat, I get terrible headaches lately, it seems there isn't a pattern to when I wake up normal or high, but I agree with Elaine mine only started after diagnosis, so I'm thinking its diabetes related.. mine always start in the eye brow and works it's way up until my head is Throbbing. It starts on waking up and it usually clears by lunch time. I've no advice sorry but one thing which helps is the 4head roll on stick x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hellbunny said:
I'm also in the same boat, I get terrible headaches lately, it seems there isn't a pattern to when I wake up normal or high, but I agree with Elaine mine only started after diagnosis, so I'm thinking its diabetes related.. mine always start in the eye brow and works it's way up until my head is Throbbing. It starts on waking up and it usually clears by lunch time. I've no advice sorry but one thing which helps is the 4head roll on stick x

Are you T1?

My DSN said that headaches that start upon waking could be due to going mildly hypo through the night. The effort involved by your body to sort your levels ca result in a headache.

Might be worth a check for a few nights!