Health anxiety

Kev1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi!

I'm 23 years old and I've had type 1 for a year now. I've also had health anxiety for quite some time, diagnosing myself with various types of cancer etc... I'm managing my diabetes quite well (physicaly and mentaly) keeping my Hbca1 on 5,6-6.0 for a year now.

For some months I've had foamy urine (well I noticed it then, could have had it longer though), and after looking into google this could mean kidney disease, which is a typical complication. I have not had any other symptoms - maybe urinating often, but I've always done that. The urine does not always foam - it goes away if I'm very well hydrated. I also bought a box of 50 urine sticks to test my urine for protein. Most of the times I get negative tests during the day. In the morning it can find traces of protein - and if I'm not so hydrated during the day. I get mild positive tests if I'm testing right after hard exercise, which google says it's normal. My health anxiety made me do 50 tests in a months time...

So I was wondering if diabetes complications can occur that fast - while keeping blood sugar in control - and eating healthy and being very active. My family have not had any known kidney diseases either. Should I worry? I will get a doctor appointment next week, and I will demand every kidney check possible... because right now my life is a mess because of the anxiety. I became a father this summer and having a great relationsship with the love of my life. I should not be worrying.

Any comment is appreciated, and excuses for my english.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Google also says that the force in which the urine comes out can cause a foaming effect, likewise with dehydration.

As part of our annual diabetes check they test for early signs of nephropathy, but if you wanted to you could pop a urine sample into your gp surgery to have it checked, but going by what you've said above (no mention of pain or feeling unwell) your probably worrying unnecessarily.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi!

I'm 23 years old and I've had type 1 for a year now. I've also had health anxiety for quite some time, diagnosing myself with various types of cancer etc... I'm managing my diabetes quite well (physicaly and mentaly) keeping my Hbca1 on 5,6-6.0 for a year now.

For some months I've had foamy urine (well I noticed it then, could have had it longer though), and after looking into google this could mean kidney disease, which is a typical complication. I have not had any other symptoms - maybe urinating often, but I've always done that. The urine does not always foam - it goes away if I'm very well hydrated. I also bought a box of 50 urine sticks to test my urine for protein. Most of the times I get negative tests during the day. In the morning it can find traces of protein - and if I'm not so hydrated during the day. I get mild positive tests if I'm testing right after hard exercise, which google says it's normal. My health anxiety made me do 50 tests in a months time...

So I was wondering if diabetes complications can occur that fast - while keeping blood sugar in control - and eating healthy and being very active. My family have not had any known kidney diseases either. Should I worry? I will get a doctor appointment next week, and I will demand every kidney check possible... because right now my life is a mess because of the anxiety. I became a father this summer and having a great relationsship with the love of my life. I should not be worrying.

Any comment is appreciated, and excuses for my english.
I think I'm right in saying that this can be a feature of diabetes, but I'm not sure of the explanation. It was something I noticed myself for a couple of years before diagnosis. Others will have more idea.

gwai84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've noticed foamy urine many times over the years - type 1 for 22 years and absolutely no evidence of kidney disease. I thought exactly the same thing you did the first few times I had it, but my urine has always been completely clear and so now I've gotten used to it.

Foamy urine can be a sign of protein in the urine, but a degree of foaming is normal - depends on force of urination, standing or sitting position, chemicals (e.g. bleach) in the toilet, and how high your sugar is (I find it's more pronounced with high glucose, maybe because the urine is sugary!).

I know it's scary but this is likely to be nothing to worry about. You should give your GP a urine sample though to be sure, as noblehead says.

Reactions: Liftupjoe and dbr10

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Kev, I know a fair bit about HA. Have you tried to get any help for it? If you have it badly you know that "demands" for unnecessary tests will fuel your HA, and keep you in the reassurance loop.

There are resources out there, CBT, there's also a book called DARE by Barry something-or-other that I know a good few HA'ers recommend.
If you haven't spoken to your doc about it, why don't you make the first move?

Time to tackle it x