Health Professionals? Nurses? what a joke

angua

Went for my annual health review today ..

N: Hello you’ve come for your annual review, how are you feeling?

Me: Fine

N: I probably don't need to take your BP because you are on meds for that

Me: Err .. nope, not been on meds since January

N: Oh well I can take it if you'd like

Me: Well, yes please

N: You had a blood test too but everything is fine on it, all 'normal'

Me: What is the result of the HbA1c?

N: Oh they wouldn't have done that, you're not diabetic

Me: No I'm not at the moment but give me a jam doughnut and I'll show you I could be

N: What do you mean?

Me: Well I control my blood sugar through diet and I know if I ate a doughnut I'd have a bs count of 22

falling to 16 after 2 hours that seems pretty diabetic to me

N: How are you checking your bs?

Me: Strips and a meter

N: You shouldn't have a meter, we shouldn't have given you a meter or strips

Me: Its my meter, I bought it and the strips

AWKWARD SILENCE

N: Any other concerns?

Me: How is my liver function, because I’m drinking rather a lot of wine at the moment

N: How much is a lot?

Me: Well probably a bottle a night

N: You shouldn’t be drinking wine if you worried about your bs, there’s a lot of sugar in wine

Me: Well it’s red wine so it doesn’t and it actually has a bs lowering effect on me and it means I can eat

the odd tomato or chip

N: No, there is a lot of sugar in red wine and a lot of calories too

Me: Can you give me a print out of my results?

N: I don’t think I can but if you tell me which ones you’re interested in, I can scribble them down

OMG !! I just wasted part of a day I'll never get back to be talked at by someone who doesn't know her stuff and can be bothered to do her job properly

So guys another year on still the same unhelpful ****** advice from the ‘professionals’

But thank goodness I can afford the internet to educate myself, and buy my own meter and strips or else I think I’d be looking at some of the more serious side effects of eating a healthy, carb loaded diet and the inevitable bs spikes with associated health implications

Fasting HbA1c = 4.1 see so I don’t have diabetes !!

Good health all

Gilly xxx

Oh by the way … please not a million comments on the drinking issue and health issues – I’m coping with **** at the moment the best way I know how .. Hopefully I’ll get it into line soon

Reactions: 12 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Doesn't surprise me at all. Well done for being pro-active and getting yourself a meter and taking control of your condition. Enjoy your vino tonight and hopefully a new nurse next time :)

Reactions: 6 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just about to pour one out …… fancy sharing a virtual bottle with me?
Sally

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@angua sorry your appointment was a waste of time. At my last check-up my GP said that drinking white wine is seen is riskier than drinking the equivalent amount of red wine. So I've tried to up my red wine consumption - purely in order to comply with medical advice, of course :)

It amuses me how HCPs try to scare us off wine by talking about its sugar content and its calories when with many I've met it would be more honest to say 'I'm a puritan and I hate the thought of you enjoying yourself'. For myself, wine has never affected my BG or (as far as I can tell) my weight. I seem to remember the only reason Atkins says one should abstain is that alcohol lowers inhibitions and may therefore make us more inclined to break our diet, which does make more sense.

Kate

Reactions: 3 people

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you've had a bad day Angua, I just had one of them days too, wont go into it, but I shall raise a glass with you.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Me to but its Gin and Tonic,I have one every night.

Mushroom

Thank you for posting - couldn't make it up could you! Gave me a laugh. Very naughty having your own meter!
Told my diabetes nurse that I was drinking two glasses of red a night. She frantically typed something on her computer and then asked me how to spell 'recommended' as in - 'drinking more than the recommended intake a night'. Gave her something to do as everything else was fine - no thanks to the NHS.
I have had a glass and half of red and a Irish Coffee and that's plenty. Not sure a bottle is OK!!!!!!! Wouldn't be able to post on this forum after a whole bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You cant win either way. I dont drink alcohol at all anymore and when asked about alcohol intake at annual review I am always looked at like some freak when I say i dont drink.

Then i am usually asked if i'm depressed!! o_O

Reactions: 4 people

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Angua - a beautiful post! Keep it up. My weakness is whisky with water!

best, annelise

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
(I've told this story before)
I spent 10 days in hospital at diagnosis, the dietitian saw me every day to supervise choosing my menu for the next day. She advised against choosing the 25cl of red wine for dinner, because; 'it's not a very good wine' She pointed out that for many of the older patients, wine was a normal part of their life . (;my neighbour makes just enough very rough, very weak wine for the year)
The message here is that it is fine 'in moderation' , moderation is at a bit higher level than in the UK but it isn't a bottle a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Went for my annual health review today ..

N: Hello you’ve come for your annual review, how are you feeling?

Me: Fine

N: I probably don't need to take your BP because you are on meds for that

Me: Err .. nope, not been on meds since January

N: Oh well I can take it if you'd like

Me: Well, yes please

N: You had a blood test too but everything is fine on it, all 'normal'

Me: What is the result of the HbA1c?

N: Oh they wouldn't have done that, you're not diabetic

Me: No I'm not at the moment but give me a jam doughnut and I'll show you I could be

N: What do you mean?

Me: Well I control my blood sugar through diet and I know if I ate a doughnut I'd have a bs count of 22

falling to 16 after 2 hours that seems pretty diabetic to me

N: How are you checking your bs?

Me: Strips and a meter

N: You shouldn't have a meter, we shouldn't have given you a meter or strips

Me: Its my meter, I bought it and the strips

AWKWARD SILENCE

N: Any other concerns?

Me: How is my liver function, because I’m drinking rather a lot of wine at the moment

N: How much is a lot?

Me: Well probably a bottle a night

N: You shouldn’t be drinking wine if you worried about your bs, there’s a lot of sugar in wine

Me: Well it’s red wine so it doesn’t and it actually has a bs lowering effect on me and it means I can eat

the odd tomato or chip

N: No, there is a lot of sugar in red wine and a lot of calories too

Me: Can you give me a print out of my results?

N: I don’t think I can but if you tell me which ones you’re interested in, I can scribble them down

OMG !! I just wasted part of a day I'll never get back to be talked at by someone who doesn't know her stuff and can be bothered to do her job properly

So guys another year on still the same unhelpful ****** advice from the ‘professionals’

But thank goodness I can afford the internet to educate myself, and buy my own meter and strips or else I think I’d be looking at some of the more serious side effects of eating a healthy, carb loaded diet and the inevitable bs spikes with associated health implications

Fasting HbA1c = 4.1 see so I don’t have diabetes !!

Good health all

Gilly xxx

Oh by the way … please not a million comments on the drinking issue and health issues – I’m coping with **** at the moment the best way I know how .. Hopefully I’ll get it into line soon
Makes me glad I never got to see one. What is a fasting Hba1c? Is it just an HbA1c?

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
(I've told this story before)
I spent 10 days in hospital at diagnosis, the dietitian saw me every day to supervise choosing my menu for the next day. She advised against choosing the 25cl of red wine for dinner, because; 'it's not a very good wine' She pointed out that for many of the older patients, wine was a normal part of their life . (;my neighbour makes just enough very rough, very weak wine for the year)
The message here is that it is fine 'in moderation' , moderation is at a bit higher level than in the UK but it isn't a bottle a day.
That reminds me of another HCP alcohol experience: when I told one GP I drink a glass of wine with supper every night he responded: "Every night? Be careful or you'll develop French syndrome!" :D

Kate

Reactions: 5 people

angua

You cant win either way. I dont drink alcohol at all anymore and when asked about alcohol intake at annual review I am always looked at like some freak when I say i dont drink.

Then i am usually asked if i'm depressed!! o_O

That made me laugh out loud ...

angua

Makes me glad I never got to see one. What is a fasting Hba1c? Is it just an HbA1c?

Sorry for the confusion there, It was a fasting blood test (for Cholesterol) ... just so happened that they did HbA1c at the same time.
It is not my understanding that a simple HbA1c ever needs to be fasted for because the test is simply counting the average amount of glucose that has interacted with your blood plasma over the last 2-3 months.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HCP seem to have to find something to have a go at us for. I have never smoked and drink once in a blue moon, however chocolate has always been my downfall and combined with a desk job has effected my waste line, it curves out rather than in, so every time I visit do I get the lecture even if I have lost weight I am told I should be doing more, more exercise, better diet (their version). Reducing the carbs seems to be doing more good than any advise I had from them.

I think if they don't have something they can have a go at us about they feel they will be out of a job.

I am seriously thinking about keeping quiet about my meter when I see my nurse in a couple of weeks.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Made me smile @angua! Best of luck for coping with the ****. I come from a family of big drinkers (parents used to run pubs) and when I get together with my sisters am always shocked to see how many bottles we get through (last time 3 each of cava - not good!).

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a friend whose father used to make homemade wine.

According to him, you know you are in trouble when you measure how much you drank in a week in gallons.

Reactions: 2 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.

As long as it's good wine!

A friend of mine's wife is French and when she got pregnant she went to her French doctor who when asked about drinking and pregnancy said that if she was used to having a glass of wine in the evening it would 'be a violation' to stop whilst pregnant! That's the sort of doctor I want..!

The strangest thing about being a diabetic is the feeling that we are forging ahead without maps figuring it out for ourselves whilst HCPs just sit around saying 'you can't get through that way'.

May your non-diabetes continue!

Best

Dillinger