Healthy eating.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date
C

catherinecherub

We all seem to know what healthy eating is regardless of disputes over who knows best but spare a thought for this chap who though he was eating healthily.

"I thought eating Special K with double cream and jam was healthy"
It's the lack of education for all age groups and the constant bombardment of food adverts proclaiming how healthy they are regardless of the ingredients they contain IMHO.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...s-balanced-diet-actually-loaded-calories.html

Reactions: 2 people

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a good friend who reads every new diet with great interest then "takes the best from each", as he likes to say. So from Atkins he took "don't count calories, never go hungry" and from the Mediterranean diet he took the traditional food pyramid based on healthy carbs, and from the low-fat diet he took "eat as much as you like as long as the label says low fat". And despite all this effort, he still can't lose weight!

A little learning is a dangerous thing :)

Kate

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Double cream won´t do you any harm, but the rest!

The majority of the world's population would get sick eating the cream because they lack a lactase persistence gene.

One evolutionary mechanism is that one man's food is another man's poison and hence populations thrive or decline due to selective evolutionary advantages/disadvantages.

A

AnnieC

I think it has been said on this forum before that we could read everything ever written good or bad on anything but we will really only believe what we want to hear if not we don't believe it

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Annie, I disagree. I thought carbs were healthy and butter unhealthy as this is what I was told, but after doing some reading over the past ten years or so I have reconsidered. Problem is, to get a really valid scientific outcome you need controlled, preferably long-term studies and these are expensive so hard to get the funds without a drug company and they are not prone to invest in studies that won´t pay off in raising the amount of sold drugs.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Problem is, to get a really valid scientific outcome you need controlled, preferably long-term studies

And specific population samples. A study in one part of europe will likely provide different results to a similar study undertaken on a different population in another part of europe. People are different regionally, even within the UK.

The Wellcome Trust are currently undertaking a case control study for the UK, dividing it up into regions precisely because a study in one area may not have results which are valid for another. Even looking at a basket of 600,000 genes, a fraction of the total, regional differences become apparant: Just look at the difference between Devon and Cornwall.

map1.jpg

A

AnnieC

And specific population samples. A study in one part of europe will likely provide different results to a similar study undertaken on a different population in another part of europe. People are different regionally, even within the UK.

The Wellcome Trust are currently undertaking a case control study for the UK, dividing it up into regions precisely because a study in one area may not have results which are valid for another. Even looking at a basket of 600,000 genes, a fraction of the total, regional differences become apparant: Just look at the difference between Devon and Cornwall.

map1.jpg
Sorry Totto I still believe we as humans are programmed to believe the good over bad in studies and anything else.....take fats as an instance those who do low fat obviously think is the best way to eat so they will disregrard any study that say's its not good as will those who do higher fat disregard any study that says thats bad for them we are only human after all

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry Totto I still believe we as humans are programmed to believe the good over bad in studies and anything else.....take fats as an instance those who do low fat obviously think is the best way to eat so they will disregrard any study that say's its not good as will those who do higher fat disregard any study that says thats bad for them we are only human after all
Hi Annie! I think we can think. To me this isn't about beliefs, but about science. I was a low-fat friend for years, as I didn't really think. I just read the newspaper.

Internet has made a huge difference. Now I can check the references in an article, look for myself if a study that claims to any findings really have the foundations to the claims. Etc. So I disagree with you, we can choose to find information and to think for ourselves and it so much easier with the internet, so no excuses for not doing it properly.

When it comes to diabetic diets, I find they were wiser 100 years ago.

When it comes to the growing problems with obesity and diabetes, they started shortly after the low-fat recommendations took effect.

K

Kat100

There can be so many different types of research and methods, but I do believe it is about what individuals believe in and what works for each person..