Heinz baked beans

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are Heinz baked beans ok or not with type 2 very confused as only diagnosed yesterday, also red wine

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Have a look at the label to check the overall carb level as well as sugar. Baked beans do have quite a bit of fibre and are not too bad for diabetics but keep the quantity sensible and if you have a meter check your blood sugar 2 hours after the meal. The good news is that alcohol is OK unless you are on any unusual medicines, so enjoy your wine! I think Daisy will be along shortly to give you various links to useful info on the forum.

Grazer

Red wine not good - Red Wine excellent! :thumbup:
Baked beans have a fair few carbs, mostly in the sauce, but are quite low GI so don't normally send your blood soaring too quickly. You need to try, then test and see what happens. I have half a small tin with no probs.
Bottle of rioja, and I could eat a whole giant tin!!!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi Celast and welcome.

You sound a wee bit panic stricken, not an uncommon reaction when we get a diagnosis! Try not too get too worried especially as I read you have got a holiday coming up and you don't want to spoil it!

Have a re-read of the welcome posts you got and the diet advice, it's really very good. I know your head must be in a whirl so here is my simple suggestion. Halve the amount of bread, spuds, rice and pasta you normally eat, fill up the space with more meat, fish or veg. A lot of us eat Burgen bread which is available from most supermarkets, in Iceland it's a £1 per loaf.
Try and stick to the "brown" versions of the other things. Not sure if you have been given a meter to test yourself but if not, it worthwhile getting one.

Small steps at first, let the dignosis sink in but it's not the end of the world, promise!

Highlanders

Dislikes
Those who try to tell me what I should do. Pompous, arrogant people who think they know everything after 5 minutes!
The odd glass of red wine can be beneficial, not bottles of the stuff though! As for baked beans, lot of carbs there and as far as I am concerned however much fibre they may have or low GI they may be I found that they made my bg levels rise quite significantly! Only way to know really is to test after eating them. You may be fortunate, me, I can only tolerate a very small spoonful at best!

Defren

The problem with beans are they are quite high carb. 200g are 26g of carbs and 10g of sugar. They would send my figures into orbit. However, as you can see, Grazer can eat them, so the only way you will know is to try them, then test.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Heinz do a reduced sugar and salt baked beans, but I can only manage a spoonful of these and only if I have no other carbs with them. :(

Ann

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I absolutely LOVE beans - but they are BAD, BAD, BAD!

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Beans and a drop of tabasco or worcester sauce and melted cheddar on top!mmmmm! Sure miss all that! :(

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Red wine = OK in moderation, heavy drinking is not good for anyone least of all a diabetic :D
A small glass or two of red wine with a meal is probably OK providing you dont have any other problems and are not taking any medication that should not be mixed with alcohol.

Baked beans are fine providing you check your bg levels and are happy with the portion size, [mod edit: unnecessary comment setting up us and them argument]

Test every food you eat and adjust the portion sizes of all the carbs on your plate until you are happy with the postprandial readings, theres nothing bad about beans if eaten in moderation and nothing wrong with red wine if drunk in moderation.

Beans are not bad they are inanimate pulses. What you do with them makes them good or bad for your bg levels, thats the bottom line here.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Sid Bonkers said:
Red wine = OK in moderation, heavy drinking is not good for anyone least of all a diabetic :D
A small glass or two of red wine with a meal is probably OK providing you dont have any other problems and are not taking any medication that should not be mixed with alcohol.

Baked beans are fine providing you check your bg levels and are happy with the portion size, [mod edit: unnecessary comment setting up us against them argument]

Test every food you eat and adjust the portion sizes of all the carbs on your plate until you are happy with the postprandial readings, theres nothing bad about beans if eaten in moderation and nothing wrong with red wine if drunk in moderation.

Beans are not bad they are inanimate pulses. What you do with them makes them good or bad for your bg levels, thats the bottom line here.

Kind of agree with you Sid and said so on another of Celast's questions. Low sugar ones are probably the best as Grazer also mentioned on another thread today and yes you need to get the portion size right to keep blood levels safe.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Apparently, according from some research from my Primary School, beans have a beneficial effect on cardivascular health, but a negative effect on digestive health. Here is the Abstract
Beans, beans, good for your heart. Beans, beans, make you...

Reactions: 2 people

Paul1976

Dislikes
borofergie said:
Apparently, according from some research from my Primary School, beans have a beneficial effect on cardivascular health, but a negative effect on digestive health. Here is the Abstract
Beans, beans, good for your heart. Beans, beans, make you...
:lol: :lol: :lol: Kids tell it how it is eh? :lol:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
This is all just semantics.

T2 diabetes is primarily a disease of carbohydrate intolerance. I am intolerant to carbohydrates such that, apart from in very small quantities, eating them will do me harm.

It's no different to lactose intolerance or gluten intolerance or dairy intolerance.

Reactions: Naomi Moore

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T2 diabetes is primarily a disease of carbohydrate intolerance. I am intolerant to carbohydrates such that, apart from in very small quantities, eating them will do me harm.

:thumbup:

A

Anonymous

using your glucometer will help you figure out what foods work best for you.... not one size fits all I'm afraid. You will find people have loads of opinions on this subject :lol: the key is test, test, and test some more. Personally... I eat 130g heinz baked beans now and again and they're fine for me (I tend to drain the juice a bit too and leave it behind). I love red wine... I stick to my merlots. Just be careful though as alcohol can impact on your sugars... it can cause highs if it's full of carbs, or lows also. My diabetic clinic recommends using mineral water to dilute your beverages to bring the carb intake down. I'm not really a drinker.... I just enjoy the occasional drink really. :D

Paul1976

Dislikes
:D

Attachments

• 66704_467403406597_782826597_5493041_6384940_a.jpg
    66704_467403406597_782826597_5493041_6384940_a.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 2,782