Hello, am new, just joined

jbelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's a great improvement :)

If your nausea continues, it would be worth speaking to the doctor about it. It might not be related to your diabetes/meds, and even if it is, there might be some way to improve things.
Thanks azure..... will talk to my dr

Reactions: azure

jbelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@jbelle:
Just a passing thought (besides Welcome !!!) about your lack of energy. When carbs are reduced the calories lost (energy) need to be made up with healthy fats. Giving up 2 grams of carbs means you'll need to add 1 gram of fat to your diet. Good fat sources are olive oil, bacon, fish, butter, whole milk, cheese, avocados, nuts (almonds are good, high in fiber), and many others. Steer away from unhealthy fats like margarine, the "seed" oils and ??
Going LC changes the hormones driving hunger and many find they aren't driven by the desire to overeat. Hope this helps and Best Wishes in your new adventure.

Hello No2D, thanks for the welcome. Wow.... didn't know that when I practically gave up carbs, I need to add Fats..... thought that was not healthy to my cholesterol levels, as I am also on medication to bring down my cholesterol.

Yeah..... guess, after changing my diet and eating a lot less brings my energy levels down

Sorry to sound daft......what is 'seed' oils?

HahahahaHahahaha...... what an adventure..... it is like doing a 360 degree turn

Thanks again

Reactions: Prem51

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hello everyone. My name is Belle and I have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about one and half years ago.

Initially, My Dr has put me on Diamarcon 30mg and Glucophage XR 750mg x 1 tablet in morning.

Then he changed my Glucophage to Janumet and I had big issues, felt so sick and was admitted to hospital for abdominal distension! Immediately was stopped taking the Janumet

3 months ago, am on Diamarcon 60 mg and Glucophage XR 750 x 2 tablets.... one in morning and one after dinner.

And I have to "prick" myself daily x 2.

Have practically lost my appetite, feel nauseous, so tired even I had enough sleep, turned off with food. Is this normal??

Appreciate some advise. Thank you very much! !

Hi jbelle and welcome, this forum is fab. Hopefully your issues will settle down and you start to feel better.
Tracy

layladream

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Belle and welcome! I'm new here too, I was diagnosed with Type 2 earlier this month. I'm on metformin and it's taking me a while to get used to it. I am so glad my diabetic nurse pointed me towards this site. I'm following the Low Carb Program. This is only week 2 for me but it's helping me know how many carbs I'm having and so I can make better choices. I hope you feel better soon, sending you hugs.

jbelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, the healthy fats are good for you and improve health, don't cause CVD. That took me a while to wrap my head around. I'd always understood (and it made sense) that eating fat makes you fat and gave you bad lipid results. It's actually excess glucose that gets turned into triglycerides for storage as fat that causes the problems. Behind the scenes is insulin.

The fat storage hormone is insulin. So a newly diagnosed T2D has had the perfect storm brewing for awhile: High insulin plus high glucose Equals: make and store fat.

Although I'm LC (still experimenting) I think carbs and fat are both great. Heresy, burn me at the steak, medium rare please:playful:. But we run better when we can use both as intended.

These best buddies have an elegant purpose and work together when your metabolism is working well. Carbs are like money in your wallet and fat is like money in the bank. Fast, local energy comes from carbs and slow release backup fat energy when you run out of your primary. T2Ds are limited because of high blood sugar and insulin.

They have to break the insulin-glucose-fat build up cycle that feeds on itself. So T2Ds reduce carbs (most carbs turn into glucose eventually) thereby reducing blood sugar thereby reducing the circulating insulin thereby forcing your metabolism to be a little bit more normal. Then your body can start pulling money out of the fat bank since you've spent everything in your wallet.

It works great. In the last 2 years, using LC & fasting, my FBG and A1c have gone from diabetic to almost normal non-diabetic. I've lost over 20% of my body weight. The weight loss was not exclusively because of LC but I don't think it would have happened without it. Also my BP has come down nicely and my lipids look very good.

Olive oil is probably the best choice for general use. Other "seed oils" like: Soybean, Canola, Corn, Safflower, Cottonseed, Rapeseed and others have higher levels of Omega 6 and are highly processed. BUT they're cheap for manufactures to add to off-the-shelf products. For me it's hard to find a salad dressing that's not made using canola oil. I use a little of this product for flavor and add olive oil for health. A compromise.

Hope this isn't too much information (I tend to do that :dead:). Best Wishes, PB

Thank you very much for your advise and really appreciate the amount of info you have kindly given. Thanks to you, I have now learnt some new things. Take care

jbelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Belle and welcome! I'm new here too, I was diagnosed with Type 2 earlier this month. I'm on metformin and it's taking me a while to get used to it. I am so glad my diabetic nurse pointed me towards this site. I'm following the Low Carb Program. This is only week 2 for me but it's helping me know how many carbs I'm having and so I can make better choices. I hope you feel better soon, sending you hugs.

Hello layladream.....a welcome to you too!! Are you also experiencing similar side effects??
Sending you hugs too

layladream

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Belle, I've been feeling nauseous for weeks before I was diagnosed. But I've felt generally yucky, run-down and really, really tired. But as I have fibromyalgia I was putting everything down to that!! It's easing off now though and, despite not sleeping well, I'm not as tired and I have a bit more energy than I used too! My nurse advised me to try and stick with metformin so long as I could tolerate feeling yucky. fibromyalgia can make me feel flu-y and yucky so I guess I found it reasonably easy to cope. I don't get really hungry now, my appetite has tailed off a bit. I found I was craving water, plain old water!, and now there's no biscuits in the house I'm not really bothered. If hubby and I are out and about, I may have a fruit scone but I watch my carbs so I know roughly were I'm heading. On the low carb program it recommends having 100 - 150 carbs a day and I find the monitor on the program really helpful in keeping me on track.