"Hello everyone" from a doctor with early Type 2 diabetes

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Paul...I still love learning and have always thought that anybody with a chronic illness would become more expert than me with their knowledge, especially now that we can google everything and have forums like this....self management is the answer in most chronic problems.....
Yes no knows more than people that go through it, all the theory in the world can never replace experience.

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree....the symptoms are due to insulin resistance but what causes that? Genetics? ageing? excess BMI? and a large "don't know" basket too! ( as in most things medical in my experience lol )

K

Kat100

:eek::eek::eek::eek::p:hungry::hungry::eek:
Good question Kat! I really am only going by the fact that My Mum had me, her first child, weighing 10.5 llb at birth, and my first child weighed the same ( both natural births!! )She would not have had her BS tested during pregnancy, but mine were OK, as least the urine was ( not the same thing! )...she had a stroke in early 70s ( family clotting factors) and lost weight++ in residential care, living till 84... was never diagnosed as diabetic..
I was a child of the war and limited to 2oz of sweets per week wwith rationing for years..as was my sister...she limited her"dolly mix" to just a few per day, but I couldn't resist eating all mine as soon as I got them! so by the age of 8 I was already addicted...very different personalities...I'm a sanguine and happy basically, she is a perfectionist....takes a long time to chew each mouthful..whereas I, if I don't concentrate, eat mindlessly!
So I actually see most T2s as being a weight problem rather than a carb/sugar consumption problem! Neither are easily curable on a long term basis for most of us!!! Plenty of wonderful weight losses on ANY restricted diet, but long term maintanence of that weight loss is very difficult for most....and plenty of statistics to back that up scientifically.
And now I would love to know more about you Kat? What is your avatar photo?my guess is a cat? How long have you been diagnosed.?
We emigrated to NZ in 1972....so I love communicating with those in UK...visit my sister once every 2-3 years as she does not like long flights...
Hi Hilary ....
Great to chat to you ....I was diagnosed 2 years ...ago this week ...
I had several health problems ....none being diabetic at the time...I am type 2 , now it was a shock ...
But 10 years ago , to cut a long story short ....I had a very large operation ....I think that is when I became diabetic ...
Or rather the signs and symptoms started ,,but all on reflection now ...
My family of older generations have presented with both type 1 and 2
I don't believe weight caused my diabetes ....but other health factors may of...but not my diet ...I dont believe ...
I have spent my working life in the NHS but it is only when you get an illness yourself that you realise that you really know very little about certain subjects ....
I am a veggie , have been all my life and I eat medium carbs , or reduced carbs , I am not Lchf , I don't do high fat ...never will ....I tweak my diet to suit my needs ..individual ....but that is my choice ...I like all diets that help individuals ...again choice and empowerment ...
Walking I love walking , reading I love reading, I have a sense of humour , very important that in health ...and keeping well ...
Always happy to,chat best wishes ..Kat ....are you a famous painter then ??? You can post your pictures here ...but I don't know how that is done ...
Someone would help you if you want to share your art , would love to see, you might like the hobbies thread as well ,,something else to get involved in to keep you busy ...
Dolly mixtures and the war ..what lovely memories you have , nice you still have your sister here...I bet you tried to eat your sisters share of dolly mixtures .....:eek::rolleyes::hungry:

Last edited:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree....the symptoms are due to insulin resistance but what causes that? Genetics? ageing? excess BMI? and a large "don't know" basket too! ( as in most things medical in my experience lol )
I honestly think .. But cannot prove .. My DB was caused by the statins I was told to take .. I have heart problems but not a cholestral problem .. ,

Reactions: 5 people
K

Kat100

I'm convinced my type 2 Diabetes was caused by prolonged (18 months to 2 years) stress caused from severe anxiety triggered by personal emotional distress.

My health care providers said I don't fit the stereotypical profile!
Hi , I read somewhere that stress can be a trigger ...
I am not one for research papers for concrete evedince ....so many positives and negatives ...good to read at times though ..
But proven facts ...more interesting and real life experiences ...well that is good research and can highlight factors which cause illness

Reactions: 2 people

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:eek::eek::eek::eek::p:hungry::hungry::eek:
Hi Hilary ....
Great to chat to you ....I was diagnosed 2 years ...ago this week ...
I had several health problems ....none being diabetic at the time...I am type 2 , now it was a shock ...
But 10 years ago , to cut a long story short ....I had a very large operation ....I think that is when I became diabetic ...
Or rather the signs and symptoms started ,,but all on reflection now ...
My family of older generations have presented with both type 1 and 2
I don't believe weight caused my diabetes ....but other health factors may of...but not my diet ...I dont believe ...
I have spent my working life in the NHS but it is only when you get an illness yourself that you realise that you really know very little about certain subjects ....
I am a veggie , have been all my life and I eat medium carbs , or reduced carbs , I am not Lchf , I don't do high fat ...never will ....I tweak my diet to suit my needs ..individual ....but that is my choice ...I like all diets that help individuals ...again choice and empowerment ...
Walking I love walking , reading I love reading, I have a sense of humour , very important that in health ...and keeping well ...
Always happy to,chat best wishes ..Kat ....are you a famous painter then ??? You can post your pictures here ...but I don't know how that is done ...
Someone would help you if you want to share your art , would love to see, you might like the hobbies thread as well ,,something else to get involved in to keep you busy ...
Dolly mixtures and the war ..what lovely memories you have , nice you still have your sister here...I bet you tried to eat your sisters share of dolly mixtures .....:eek::rolleyes::hungry:

Yes I did...I constantly pestered her to "be kind"..makes me shudder at my behaviour...Sadly I won't really have time to spend on this site, it has already held me up enough over the last 24 hours ...I am also addicted to an artist's social network....so I may have to opt out of this one, but i love chatting on line....have a social phone phobia unfortunately or perhaps just as well....so much on my "to do" list each day, apart from work, so I am very lucky but always suffering from time stress..must paint a "cute and fluffy" for up coming Christmas Fair inaid of the RSPCA...planned 30 by end of month, have only done 20 so far..I have a website www.hilaryweeks.co.nz if you are interested.
Sorry Kat, must rush, Hilary

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm convinced my type 2 Diabetes was caused by prolonged (18 months to 2 years) stress caused from severe anxiety triggered by personal emotional distress.

I'm sure you are right...as a Doc I believe that stress can cause just about everything...some patients are happy to agree with this, others get really upset and acuse us of thinking it is all in their minds and "Not real"...but anything anyone fels IS I believe "Real" and valid for that person!
Your reply gave me food for thought so thank y0u...I have lived under "time stress" all my life..entirely of my own making ofcourse! Not emotional stress thank goodness as I feel very happy and contented with my lot and my relationships but that is the nature I was born with...scatty and optimistic.
At my age I should probably retire, but still in great demand to fill in for younger docs when they have to take time off so my regular 3 seeions at the hosp are usually 6 !
I'll certainly think about your stress idea, so thank you!

Reactions: 2 people

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

PS...your stats are excellent! well done!

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I honestly think .. But cannot prove .. My DB was caused by the statins I was told to take .. I have heart problems but not a cholestral problem .. ,
Yes...I missed out masses of things...I'm also on statins which I should reduce( blood fats in normal range before)...and a diruretic for BP, another possible cause of NIDDM ( which we call most T2s)...but I have two genetic clotting factors so my risk for a stroke is greater than my fear of diabetes...swings and roundabouts!
By reducing my sugar addiction, and with a HBA1c of 40 while I was still eating masses of lollies everyday, I am not too worried about the diabetes threat ....yet! !!!

beardie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes...I missed out masses of things...I'm also on statins which I should reduce( blood fats in normal range before)...and a diruretic for BP, another possible cause of NIDDM ( which we call most T2s)...but I have two genetic clotting factors so my risk for a stroke is greater than my fear of diabetes...swings and roundabouts!
By reducing my sugar addiction, and with a HBA1c of 40 while I was still eating masses of lollies everyday, I am not too worried about the diabetes threat ....yet! !!!
just noticed your name. Any relative?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I had TIA's I was just given increased Aspirin .. 300gm a day .. I don't know for sure why but The Wife (sorry the wife again) says sugar can be used to clot blood .. so if she cuts herself she will sprinkle sugar on the cut and it stops bleeding quite quickly .. the only sugar we have is in the medicine cabinet .. so would eating lots of sugar affect the clotting of blood ?
edit to add.. when I had my TIA's I was eating lots of sugars, but stopped soon after when my diet changed

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please don't apologise! I could ask you the same - you remind me of someone who used to post here and then went AWOL. Twice....;) You're not his alter ego by any chance...?

beardie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't apologise! I could ask you the same - you remind me of someone who used to post here and then went AWOL. Twice....;) You're not his alter ego by any chance...?
oops I forget its not me any more. yes sorry