1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hello everyone.

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Bud1979, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Bud1979

Bud1979 Type 1 · Active Member

i am a 54 year old Glaswegian from Govan ( Govanite from Glasgow) and have been Type 1 for some 44 or 46 years, and at first and for many years my diabetes was no problem due to my very active lifestyle, rugby, running, boxing, sports in general and a lot of alcohol I went to the eye clinic in the Southern General one day and he casually said “ oh your blind in one eye “ several years later my health deteriorated badly, I lost my job, then many eye problems e.g vitrectomies in both eyes, cataracts, detached retinas, glaucoma, ( retinopathy) total loss of vision. Toes amputated, feet ulceration, loss of feeling in feet, lower leg nerve pain ( neuropathy ) and severe depression but despite this I try to remain upbeat and I know I’m very very lucky. I enjoy a good laugh, I forgot to mention my impotence. I am now on a medtronic insulin pump which in my opinion is a very positive thing but this brings its own problems. The best advance I have found in my life has been the Freestyle Libre but I can no longer afford it but I remain hopeful. I have always enjoyed education but I have no qualifications but again hope springs eternal. Due to my eyesight problems I do not go out during the winter and so it leads to weight gain and bg issues but again I have to work hard to lower my readings. Well thanks peeps for any readers onwards and upwards ( being only 5 foot 7 upwards has always been my ambition)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Kittycat_7_

Kittycat_7_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Bud1979,
    I'm sorry to hear about your complications, glad your able to keep upbeat.
    Take care

3. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forums @Bud1979 ,

Hope you find something useful here and possibly your 44yrs of experience can be used to help others.

4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.

5. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

6. Jo_the_boat

Jo_the_boat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm 5 foot 7 too.
    Then I was diagnosed T2 and felt rather smaller. Then I lost weight and felt taller again.
    Now I say 'm just over 170 cm - which sounds a bit more impressive.
    With all you've coped with and your attitude you're a giant. Keep laughing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Kentoldlady1

Kentoldlady1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

8. Rie26

Rie26 MODY · Well-Known Member

Hi & welcome :) sorry to hear what you have gone through. Your positive attitude is fab :) we will not be defeated! :)

9. Bud1979

Thanks for the support folks it much appreciated, Life is life and we all have to get on with it, the frustrating thing with complications a lot of the time they just can’t be avoided and that’s very depressing at times but I have to rely on my charm and personality as I’m ugly as sin not to mention short and fat ! Free the Libre . Funny enough there’s a article about it in our local evening paper, The Evening Times in Glasgow. Onwards and upwards

10. Bud1979

Cheers Jo the boat, ok I admit it I might be 5” 6, and at 108 kg I’m nearly rounder than I am high, lol

11. willieandersen

willieandersen Don't have diabetes · Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.

12. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook