Hello, from newly diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi again @jal16 - I use the Lancet once and then dispose of it - (some may use it again) But, you need to dispose of Lancets and test strips sensibly. I use a sharps bin and get it collected when full by my local city council. Let us know how you get on when you get your meter. Thanks Liam.:)
Hi Yes I have a sharps bin too, didn't know the council will collect it when full though.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi, thanks for these helpful tips, Ill look out for the Accucheck lancets when I need to get some. Im not sure how many are in the into pack with the code it one. I like the sound of cream in coffee ;) Also, I do have a Lidl down the road but havnt been able to check the rolls out yet. Ill go there this weekend. Its a shame that Aldi dont do anything similar as we pass one on the way home from work. I also have a Morrisons down the road which has a great bakery but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any nutrition info on their rolls/loaves. I am looking forward to trying to make a pizza base. I dont think Id have managed without all the help and inspiration on this site. Thanks again. :) Got to go and get ready for work now :(
Hi jal16 I have Accu Chek lancets on prescription there are 200 in my pack if that is any help to you

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi jal16 I have Accu Chek lancets on prescription there are 200 in my pack if that is any help to you
Hi Amgrundy, I dont think I would get them on prescription, they won't even issue me with a meter in my surgery. But I think most people dont get them with T2? :(

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi jal16 I was diagnosed in Jan this year with a BG reading of 19.3 high and they gave me a meter and strips and lancets. Mind you I am 64 so get prescriptions free now.

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi jal16 I was diagnosed in Jan this year with a BG reading of 19.3 high and they gave me a meter and strips and lancets. Mind you I am 64 so get prescriptions free now.
Hi Amgrundy, I had a test last August which was about 17 but I didnt get to go back to the doctors until this January due to personal circumstances, and it was then about 12 I think? I had the HBA1 blood tests so have looked at the converter. I have been told I need Metformin and will get free prescriptions but not for anything to do with monitoring unfortunately :(

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Amgrundy, I had a test last August which was about 17 but I didnt get to go back to the doctors until this January due to personal circumstances, and it was then about 12 I think? I had the HBA1 blood tests so have looked at the converter. I have been told I need Metformin and will get free prescriptions but not for anything to do with monitoring unfortunately :(
I was put on Metformin 500mg 1 daily for first week now 2 daily got my BG readings down to single numbers now.

Reactions: 4 people

neil1945

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got a Nexus GlucoRx free from here and signed up for type 2 testing so buy some test strips and lancets on regular order. My diabetic nurse agrees with me testing BUT my Doctor does not as it will cause me stress!! But after talking to him and being told NICE does not agree with testing - he relented and I get 1 box of test strips and lancets per month - with the ones I have from here its enough. Chemist said if your diabetic and testing they are free as is metamorphin. Yes have been told my council will collect yellow bin (also free on prescription) but will take a long time to fill it up!!

Reactions: 4 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi jal16 Thank you for your reply, funny really my diabetic nurse likes me to keep testing as it helps me loads, and does not stress me out, what would stress me out was if I followed my doctors advice as I do not need to test everyday just occasionally. So thank you for your reply and wish you well.:):)

Reactions: 6 people