Hello, I am so stressed!

O

oh_dear_me

Hello there, hope I've posted this in the right place.
Just been newly diagnosed with type 2. I went for a routine health check at the doctors as I have just turned 50. Had a blood test and was called by the nurse to say the fasting blood test was reading 13? High apparently so had another blood test done. This time it was 12.6 and my hba1c was 109! I had no idea what all this meant but a call from the doctor soon made me realise this was not good. I have suffered with PCOS for years and could do with losing a stone to get into the normal bmi range.

I have started the "blood sugar diet " cutting out all bread, pasta and potatoes having googled like mad and the GP wants to prescribe Metformin. They're leaving a prescription at the surgery for me to collect tomorrow.....but the side effects sound horrendous! I have had no appointment with my GP and have only seen a nurse so far and now they want to put me on medication without any GP consultation...is this normal?
I am so stressed with this hba1c result of 109....it seems terribly high.
Any advice would be very welcome. Thank you!

Reactions: TallLeeds

Hotpepper20000

I too have PCOS. Metformin does help, as does low carb eating. It does take a while to adjust to Metformin. Some people do better with the slow release version.
For me any grains spike me. I've managed to it's 50 pounds and the symptoms of PCOS have become less severe. My HBA1c is now in non diabetic range.
Look around on the forum and feel free to PM me if you want to chat.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it is high, but you could drop it down to almost normal by the time you have a second test done - assuming it will be in three months time - and that you are a typical type 2 diabetic.
My 'advisers' just did not know what to say to me when they saw my results, they were just bewildered.
I can't encourage you to take the tablets, as I had such a wretched time with Metformin.
I did get a really good carpet cleaner out of the ordeal, but never want the embarrassment of it again.
I am so happy on low carb eating, even though I have to stick to it very closely. I see such low numbers now, when I do test, but I only test to check on what happens when I fast, or eat something I have not tried before.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe only take one Metformin tablet per day to begin with. It doesn't reduce blood sugar by much anyway, so some people just use diet to control high blood sugars. Best to start on a low carb diet and your blood sugars will drop very quickly. You should try to get a blood glucose meter to check your blood sugars before and after meals.

The types of food to cut down on are: breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. Avoid fruit juice. Avoid fruit such as bananas. Strawberries are OK and you can eat them with double cream. Fat in cheese, butter, full fat yoghurt, nuts, avocados is good as it does not raise blood sugars much. As you cut down on carbs you need to increase the amount of fat in your diet to compensate. You will hear the term LCHF which a means low carb high fat diet. This originated in Scandanavia and has been found to be very effective for treating diabetes.

Hotpepper20000

Maybe only take one Metformin tablet per day to begin with. It doesn't reduce blood sugar by much anyway. Best to start on a low carb diet and your blood sugars will drop very quickly. You should try to get a blood glucose meter to check your blood sugars before and after meals.

The types of food to cut down on are: breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. Avoid fruit juice. Avoid fruit such as bananas. Strawberries are OK and you can eat them with double cream. Fat in cheese, butter, full fat yoghurt, nuts, avocados is good as it does not raise blood sugars much. As you cut down on carbs you need to increase the amount of fat in your diet to compensate. You will hear the term LCHF which a means low carb high fat diet. This originated in Scandanavia and has been found to be very effective for treating diabetes.
Metformin may not decrease blood sugars by much but it does help with PCOS symptoms. It is used here in Canada by many doctors for this.

Reactions: Prem51

sandyb1

I was so shocked when I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2014, thought I'd kept myself reasonably healthy but obviously not enough, so was a wake up call. I asked the doctor if he could allow me a few months to try & control it by healthy eating etc & he agreed. I was booked on a Diabetes awareness course (1 afternoon a week for 6 weeks). This really helped me to understand what diabetes is, how diet, excercise & weight loss helps, & also meeting other people with the same problem (some worse than me), also helped with the mental attitude!
I've managed to control it reasonably well, & so far (touch wood!) avoided medication. However I'm due for my yearly check up next week & hope my results will be ok. I've unfortunately had to go on blood pressure medication as I wasn't controlling it very well, & I'm hoping that by really sticking to a low carb & also low salt diet that I can reduce my BP & my medication.(Plus lose some weight as well)

Reactions: ickihun and Prem51
O

oh_dear_me

Oh gosh such fast replies, thank you so much. I really don't like the sound of metformin and would like to try the diet first which the gp will hopefully support. The 109 result though may mean I have a battle on my hands to convince them! All this has totally knocked me to be honest and totally scared me to bits.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi. You will gain a lot from experienced people on this site. I would suggest that you ask your GP for a self-testing meter and strips so that you can measure your blood sugars before and a couple of hours after meals and establish and approach (based around low carbohydrate eating) and show him/her that you are making progress and getting things under control without the meds. That said, you will probably, like very many others, have to but it yourself (not too expensive and absolutely vital). I got my levels down quite quickly one I had identified the foods to avoid. The records I kept equipped me with info which made persuading my doctors that I didn't need the medication (Gliclazide) at all. Of course, some really do cope better on the drugs...and there can certainly be some other benefits to Metformin. Anyway...I cannot stress enough the need to get a meter...it is the best weapon you can have to fight your way to control of this. You will get there, I'm sure. I hope the chart I have inserted is useful to you as you get your head around the numbers.
50shades - Copy.png

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @oh_dear_me .. and welcome
I was in the same position as you and many others when I was diagnosed T2 in early Feb .. a bit shocked with no information and no idea what was happening to me. Since joining this forum, though, the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need .. It's still early for me but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly ..

Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I have tagged @daisy1 for you and I would suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and the following websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

For testing, try the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter or: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I will be able to manage them
Hope this helps

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @oh_dear_me and welcome!

As others have said following the low carb, high fat diet can really help with reducing blood sugars. I was diagnosed in December with an HbA1c of 108 - so very similar to you - and asked the doctor to let me try diet and exercise. My next HbA1c at the end of February was down to 57 and I'm hoping the next one at end of May will be lower. I've lost 10.5kg in weight too and am feeling more energetic.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@oh_dear_me

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try not to get stressed doesn't do the condition any good when I was diagnosed last year bs of 52 now around 7 usually just chilling exercise and all usual stuff has worked metformin would try and avoid terrible side effects I binned it after a few days just taking sitaglipin and injecting twice a day good look every one is different though what works for them etc my experience doctors forget about you ring to see the d nurse and get asked if it's for an annual review !! So sounds like they they only want to hear from you once a year having said that my d nurse has been great

TallLeeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello there, hope I've posted this in the right place.
Just been newly diagnosed with type 2. I went for a routine health check at the doctors as I have just turned 50. Had a blood test and was called by the nurse to say the fasting blood test was reading 13? High apparently so had another blood test done. This time it was 12.6 and my hba1c was 109! I had no idea what all this meant but a call from the doctor soon made me realise this was not good. I have suffered with PCOS for years and could do with losing a stone to get into the normal bmi range.

I have started the "blood sugar diet " cutting out all bread, pasta and potatoes having googled like mad and the GP wants to prescribe Metformin. They're leaving a prescription at the surgery for me to collect tomorrow.....but the side effects sound horrendous! I have had no appointment with my GP and have only seen a nurse so far and now they want to put me on medication without any GP consultation...is this normal?
I am so stressed with this hba1c result of 109....it seems terribly high.
Any advice would be very welcome. Thank you!
Hi....first of all. ..DON'T PANIC!. You've lived this long unaware and relaxed about your status so relax. Stress doesn't help anyone. I was diagnosed with T2 in late Dec 16 after 6 months of feeling thirsty, tired from frequent night visits to the loo....every hour...and just confused about my condition. I went to the doc and had the same diagnosis. ..T2..With a scary prognosis. .tablets. .more tablets to counteract the last and an early grave.....I did take the course of Metformin prescribed..2 a day building to supposedly 6 a day..I decided to take just 4 a day....and it was fine. No reaction at all,try it.
I then searched the Internet for another option. I found the American site T2DR...Type2 Diabetes Rebels. .and followed their advice. After 3 months of following their advice I was declared 'cured' by my amazed doctor. Apparently once T2 always T2.. but my status and health are now that of a 'normal' individual. If, as I intend, I continue to follow the instructions and advice given to me by the American site then I'm going to have a better and longer drug free life. Simple. Lots of people in here are advocating the use of meters. I was advised not to use it. ..you only become obsessed and misinformed. ...none of these people knew anything about meters before their diagnosis and invest time and money in something your surgery nurse can do for you once a month. The main cure is diet..not a meter. Adapt your diet. It's easy to do. If you'd like to discuss any problems or misgivings I'd be as happy as anyone in here to help. Each one of us are trying hard.but some are unclear, scared or unwilling to face up to it. ...Good luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thrown out of the US list - no reason given.
They are a strange lot - when I pointed out that there were things on their lists of foods unavailable worldwide they seemed to take grave offence, and as for eating celeriac - well I'll never know what they thought of that excellent low carb food, as they vanished from my sight.
They did seem to be unable to understand that I had been eating low carb for decades, whenever I could get away from medical supervision and that my numbers were normal as a result. I even translated all my numbers into US units.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @oh_dear_me warm welcome to the forum..

It's easy to say. But I would advocate a calm level informed aproach to your diagnosis.
It's great that you've met @daisy1 & @AM1874 :cool:

i would also avocate getting a blood test meter. It's a great tool in your arsenal for diabetes managment.

Drawing an analogy. Not having a meter, thus waiting for random tests at checkups/clinics is a little like stripping the speedo dial gauge cluster out of your car & waiting for the fines, endorsements & court summonses to drop through the letterbox...
Who knows what the "engine managment" lights are doing either??!
I spend a fair bit of time on car forums. ;)

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
WhT a good analogy you can also see what food gives you a spike some foods are obvious not all go on a Desmond course if you can get your d nurse to send you. It's costs the surgery money !

O

oh_dear_me

I can't thank you all enough. So lovely of you all to take the trouble to reply to my rather stressed out message!
I had a brilliant appointment with the nurse at my surgery today and she was full of great advice especially about the low carb/high fat diet. She said she has seen amazing results so far with her patients.
The gp (who I've never met!) wanted me on 500mg metformin x3 each day from the start....I will not be taking them. Instead we agreed that the diet is the first step which I have already started and noticed a difference straight away. They'll check me again in 3 months and I guess we'll see.... so fingers crossed I can manage to avoid taking metformin!
I've taken on board all your great advice, what a wonderful forum this is.

Reactions: Ultramum and Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in January 2014, and like you it was the nurse that diagnosed me. Many surgeries have prescribing nurses. They are qualified to prescribe certain medications, including Metformin. GPs generally delegate all Type 2 diabetic reviews etc to these nurses, so you are not on your own with this. I have never seen a GP for diabetic related stuff.

You are VERY lucky to have a nurse that advocates low carb. Stick to her like glue.

You seem to be very proactive about this, and your positive attitude will win the day. :)

Yes, a meter is essential.

Reactions: Ultramum and AM1874

Kerri5981

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed (finally) last September, whilst waiting to go into theatre for an urgent spinal operation!
Apparently, I became "pre-diabetic" approx. 7 years ago (first unexplained weight loss) and since then have had increasing symptoms which have all gone completely ignored by the numerous doctors and blood technicians over the years, including a few "pre-surgical consultations"!
I have not received half of the things your forum or welcome page says I should have but have got a great diabetic nurse through the hospital. Although the nutritionist( ha!) was literally laughable. She showed me a book but didn't tell me where to get it, (luckily I found it on Amazon), and had no understanding of diabetes and eating disorders!! At this time I still hadn't been told whether I was type 2 or 1, or whatever!! And still haven't, I only know as I found it at the bottom of an inter-departmental letter I had been copied in on.
I was immediately placed on a regimen of Metformin and Humulin-3 insulin injections and given a meter and equipment, albeit after spending an entire day in the "urgent care" ward of the not-so-local hospital.
I had serious stomach pains with the metformin and on discussion with the first diabetic consultant, we decided it wasn't the best thing for me but the second consultant recommended me to go on another anti-cholesterol drug which I have had no side effects from, (fingers crossed).
I have had to figure out my diet issues pretty much completely on my own, but it has helped in a funny way. I'm not convinced by either of the main recommended diets as I have a stomach acid control issue and need some carbs but not at every meal!
I have discovered that certain branded pre-packaged breads are far worse for my levels than a certain bakery's multigrain sourdough but I can't eat it every day.
My biggest disappointment has been my orthopaedic consultant surgeon. Although I was cleared by the diabetic consultant in January and despite telling me he wanted me back on his lists within a month, I am still waiting to see him in clinic in June, to discuss the surgery! and that's with the help of PALS.
I have never had a pump system discussed with me or even had it mentioned, not sure why this might be, but my depression has definitely taken a battering but that may also have been not helped by being practically housebound with my back for over 18 months.

Last edited:

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi....first of all. ..DON'T PANIC!. You've lived this long unaware and relaxed about your status so relax. Stress doesn't help anyone. I was diagnosed with T2 in late Dec 16 after 6 months of feeling thirsty, tired from frequent night visits to the loo....every hour...and just confused about my condition. I went to the doc and had the same diagnosis. ..T2..With a scary prognosis. .tablets. .more tablets to counteract the last and an early grave.....I did take the course of Metformin prescribed..2 a day building to supposedly 6 a day..I decided to take just 4 a day....and it was fine. No reaction at all,try it.
I then searched the Internet for another option. I found the American site T2DR...Type2 Diabetes Rebels. .and followed their advice. After 3 months of following their advice I was declared 'cured' by my amazed doctor. Apparently once T2 always T2.. but my status and health are now that of a 'normal' individual. If, as I intend, I continue to follow the instructions and advice given to me by the American site then I'm going to have a better and longer drug free life. Simple. Lots of people in here are advocating the use of meters. I was advised not to use it. ..you only become obsessed and misinformed. ...none of these people knew anything about meters before their diagnosis and invest time and money in something your surgery nurse can do for you once a month. The main cure is diet..not a meter. Adapt your diet. It's easy to do. If you'd like to discuss any problems or misgivings I'd be as happy as anyone in here to help. Each one of us are trying hard.but some are unclear, scared or unwilling to face up to it. ...Good luck.

While I completely agree with your point about having lived this long unaware without all the fear and tension, I applaud your positive approach and find your fairly positive attitude to Metformin - all of which can only help settle newly diagnosed people - very useful for those in doubt, I cannot agree with you that "none of these people knew anything about meters before their diagnosis"...quite a number of us already knew diabetics who used them to good effect. Further, I would advise newly diagnosed diabetics (who may have varying levels of awareness of their own condition - which may not be a "simple" Type 2) not to be so quick to dismiss the idea of using meters (at least in the short term) to inform them as to exactly what is having most impact for them as individuals on a day to day basis that the nurse/doctor's monthly or three monthly check certainly will not tell them. Many of us were advised not to use them, as this is the general NHS "party" line...and just as many of us know that to be less than "client focused" advice (as my own diabetes consultant and team of renal doctors, focused on me staying healthy beyond my diabetes, tell me). Did you ever actually use one and seriously not find it useful? My meter (provided free on the NHS in Central Scotland) allowed me not only to help see what was doing most damage (and when), to avoid spikes (which do the real harm..and which will NOT be identified ever by a monthly check), and quite crucially to spot which of the many medications I take for other issues were having an impact. As a result of use of the meter, alteration of diet in response and discussion of alternative meds and/or reduction in dosages has led to me getting things well under control as well as informing my post-transplant clinic staff of one of my ongoing blood levels, therefore protecting my new kidney. I would add that my diabetes was directly caused by medication I was taking post-op and therefore I had not been suffering from a condition I was unaware of prior to that. I am far from alone in that. What I am saying..rambling on about...is that we all differ and what works for one person may not work for another; it's not just as simple as adapting your diet and being cured. For many diabetics (particularly those at risk of hypos..often at night if blood sugars drop too low) a meter is a very important little machine. I am not attacking what you have said, and praise your encouraging words, but would ask you to recognise that some of us don't just advocate things for no reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Julia99