Help again please

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
we are a meat and two veg family, spag Bol with my homemade sauce, salad etc can you help with simple food recipes that I can have with the family without too much change, can I still have some gravy?And what about lunch packs? I know I can't have pasta, rice and spuds .

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Meat and two veg = good ! - although I steer clear of root vegetables - most of my main meals of the day would be meat with variation on the following veg - cabbage, sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, - I especially enjoy mashed cauliflower with loads of butter as its close in texture to mashed potato. For the meats I tend to go for Pork ( belly slice a favourite ), roast chicken ( skin on ) , steak, gammon, lamb - anything really.
For lunch I take a really small container box filled with variations on the following :
Slices of Chorizo, salami, pepperoni, a boiled egg, 2-3 small tomatoes, piece of cheese, 6-8 wallnuts, 6-8 green or black olives, couple slices of parma ham. I used to be real bread monster, I ploughed through loads of it daily - but now I have totally adapted to different packed lunch. Search around this forum- loads of ideas on here, and also have a look at www.dietdoctor.com - some great recipes for Low Carb. Good luck !
PS - I still do homemade Spag-Bol - just ditch the pasta.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently bought a spiraliser and found it a great boon for replacing pasta. I make the courgetti and lightly fry off in butter with some garlic. My husband even prefers it to real pasta now.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
we are a meat and two veg family, spag Bol with my homemade sauce, salad etc can you help with simple food recipes that I can have with the family without too much change, can I still have some gravy?And what about lunch packs? I know I can't have pasta, rice and spuds .
Hi @Rosiegough_ ..
I understand (and support ) your desire to have meals with your family without too much change .. and I also agree with all the info and suggestions from @Element137 above. I suggest, though, that you read up on LCHF. There is a wealth of information on the forum .. and a wealth of relevant advice and positive support. I am sure you will find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum and the Food, Nutrition and Recipes forum helpful .. together with the following websites ...
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds
Low Carb 10-week Programme

Hope this helps

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Rosiegough_ Gravy should be ok. You can replace rice with cauli rice. Either whizz cauliflower florets in a food processor, or you can buy it ready prepared in most supermarkets.
Supermarkets also sell spiralised courgette and butternut squash which can be used instead of pasta. And health food shops like Holland & Barrett sell pouches of Slim Rice and Slim Pasta made from Konjac, a SE Asian tuber, which are carb free.
You can also make mash from celeriac, which is sold in supermarkets. It does have a celery like taste, but if your family don't like that it can be disguised with butter or grated cheese.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Gravy send me incredibly high. Too many thickeners.
I make my own gravy with mushrooms as a base.
Mushrooms, onions, garlic, broth, Sage, oregano, salt and pepper. All blended on a blender to my desired consistency. Can be made thinner and used a a soup base as well.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I fry mushrooms and courgette in butter and they are the base for pileing my bol sauce or stirfry on I don't really care if it doesn't look like spaghetti or noodles it's the taste that counts ! I put 2 or 3 slices of celeriac in lasagne and have that and my husband has the pasta sheets
CAROL

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I fry mushrooms and courgette in butter and they are the base for pileing my bol sauce or stirfry on I don't really care if it doesn't look like spaghetti or noodles it's the taste that counts ! I put 2 or 3 slices of celeriac in lasagne and have that and my husband has the pasta sheets
CAROL
Thankyou

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gravy send me incredibly high. Too many thickeners.
I make my own gravy with mushrooms as a base.
Mushrooms, onions, garlic, broth, Sage, oregano, salt and pepper. All blended on a blender to my desired consistency. Can be made thinner and used a a soup base as well.
Thankyou