Help..Getting bored with veg and dairy

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So many posters have helped me. You. Youve guided my insulin reduction with confidence. @bulkbiker has inspired me into realising that I can lose weight, no matter how long no weight has been lost. His dietary ideas have been brilliant.
I've have a poster who still writes to me at home who lost loads on lchf and still feels I shouldnt need bariatric surgery because she has kept her weight off for years without surgery.
I still wish I was a one to lose on lchf but fat just had other ideas!
Awe. Thanks. I believe it's just in some people's genes to not process food correctly. I have obese friends who eat very little and have tried everything Just like you. On top of that you have other issues going on. The body has to work in tandem and if one thing isn't working right it can all go haywire.

Don't beat yourself up. You're doing great and positive. You seem very excited for surgery and a new life to follow. For someone like you, with all your insulin resistance, amounts of insulin you take as well as your other health issues I 100% support your decision. It will help take some weight off and that in itself will help you.

I just wish your surgery was sooner for you.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I do too. Mind u losing naturally and not 600cals is a first for me. I'm quite bemused. I wish I knew exactly, for sure, why.
Right amount of insulin and right amount of carbs, protein and fat is definitely key.
My thyroid took a funny turn and I'm still on 5mg of betablocker for fast heart beat. On correct amount of levothyroxine too. Sooo weird my body.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do too. Mind u losing naturally and not 600cals is a first for me. I'm quite bemused. I wish I knew exactly, for sure, why.
Right amount of insulin and right amount of carbs, protein and fat is definitely key.
My thyroid took a funny turn and I'm still on 5mg of betablocker for fast heart beat. On correct amount of levothyroxine too. Sooo weird my body.
Our metabolisms are all different. Some people CANT do keto and can't feel well on it. Some thrive. Finding your macro mix is key. My hubby could NEVER eat my diet nor could I eat his. If I don't have enough fat I have no energy and I'm starving. If he doesn't have enough carbs he feels the same way. He tried keto and failed miserably. I do however think he eats too much fat with the carbs. He's recently added avo cheese and more nuts. His food carbs are good. Lots of greens and an apple. He uses hummus and olive oil for salads. 4 oz protein lunch and dinner and an egg. HOWEVER, he drinks way too many carbs. Beer is liquid sugar and he loves dark beer.

I'm so happy you found something that works for you!!

cocobee.2017

When I start feeling bored with my food, I think about those who are malnutritioned & starving. I ask myself wld they be bored with this plate of food I have in front of me now? I don't think so. Then if I hv the time I get creative w my cooking. Chicken tenders coated in egg & the tiniest amount of breadcrumb, fry & dip in my homemade sauce is YUM,better than kfc. Today I had leftover curry chicken with half cup rice mixed into the sauce& salad, tested myself afterwards & BS didn't spike so I learnt that I can still have carbs, but not by itself & also tiny amounts & always w protein & fats (sauce had coconut cream in it). I don't have carbs every meal so that can accelerate weight loss.

Well I have been eating a low carb diet for around 6 weeks now. I really am starting to crave a potato..even if it is just a sweet potato. I have done the mashed cauliflower and Celeriac thing and now seem to be craving some rice, couscous or quinoa. I eat a variety of veg and eat dairy, meat etc but missing my grains : ( I have not given in though lol. Does anybody else get bored with their diet?
God yeah. I spent 50 years honing my skills in cooking - used to make all the different types of bread, pastry, baking, pasta etc. Diagnosed with diabetes 6 months ago and all those skills made redundant. I hate cooking now. A diabetic meal is just like a normal meal minus the joy plus suppression and denial. For all those that say it's OK there's alternatives....imagine telling Van Gogh, you can't use yellow anymore but it's OK, there are other colours.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
God yeah. I spent 50 years honing my skills in cooking - used to make all the different types of bread, pastry, baking, pasta etc. Diagnosed with diabetes 6 months ago and all those skills made redundant. I hate cooking now. A diabetic meal is just like a normal meal minus the joy plus suppression and denial. For all those that say it's OK there's alternatives....imagine telling Van Gogh, you can't use yellow anymore but it's OK, there are other colours.

Surely all those skills can be used to bring joy to others. I’m a type 1 but have chosen not to eat many carb heavy foods. There is no way I would eat anything sweet baked for example. However I get immense pleasure from baking for others.

Reactions: MommaE and jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't quite follow - there are lots of posibilities for low carb baking, including bread. There are lower carb pastas, and I find that my meals are very tasty these days, far more so than when I was being pushed to consume starchy bland and boring veges.
I have lovely dishes of cauliflower cheese, bubble and squeak made with swede and topped with either cheese or bacon, I eat steak or chops with mushrooms or stirfry.
There is a useful website - sugarfreelondoner with lots of useful recipes.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I personally could not prepare and cook high-carb formerly beloved food and not get triggered big time! My family and friends, thank goodness, know this, and are prepared when they stay at mine, to bring their own carb-heavy food (and importantly - take it with them when they leave!). Going out to dinner helps, with both high-carb-tolerant friends and family, and those who are not high-carb tolerant but don't care enough to lower them! (Got plenty of those in my life. I am reconciled with that.)

But bored with lovely meat? Yummy low-carb veg, and berries? Delicious cheeses, cream... not at all!

And I bake low-carb/keto fare. I give thanks to the diabetes-gods for online recipe sharing, which gave me fathead pizza dough, and my favourite keto chocolate-cookie recipe, my ice cream maker, and favourite brand of stevia crystals.

5Terry

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being alone and having little or no money to enjoy the hobbies I like to do.
Since I live on my own, and only cook for myself, I stating to struggle find and cook meals as I am starting to get board with the healthy options, I have substituted more vegetables and have cut down on potatoes. I am cooking more fish like Cod , and Salmon two days a week with a salad and rice, I also eat more chicken (Drum sticks, breast) but I miss my red meats ( Beef Pork and Lamp chops)

It to me it is get repetitive doing the same meals each week, I have tried to vari what I cook and have recipe books but they can contain some ingredients that will only go to waste, as I don't have a lot of storage space or a freezer. My biggest problem is storeing fresh vegetables, and understanding how to store them. I keep things like meat and leaks in the fridge and tomtoes, cucumber and salads. I have a plastic storge box which has vegetables like Caulflower, sprouts, carrots, parships, peppers onions in sealable box in the kitichen on the floor. As it is the only safe place to put it.

I am currently feeling very low in my personal life with how things are going, as I have not had any job offers since 2017.

I am sorry that if this seams to be vent on my behalf but I don't any form of support net work in the family terms.

Thank you for listerning.

Terry.

• Hug
Reactions: catinahat

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Vent away @5Terry , no better place to get things off your chest
Why can't you have Beef, Pork and Lamb?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I live on my own, and only cook for myself, I stating to struggle find and cook meals as I am starting to get board with the healthy options, I have substituted more vegetables and have cut down on potatoes. I am cooking more fish like Cod , and Salmon two days a week with a salad and rice, I also eat more chicken (Drum sticks, breast) but I miss my red meats ( Beef Pork and Lamp chops)

It to me it is get repetitive doing the same meals each week, I have tried to vari what I cook and have recipe books but they can contain some ingredients that will only go to waste, as I don't have a lot of storage space or a freezer. My biggest problem is storeing fresh vegetables, and understanding how to store them. I keep things like meat and leaks in the fridge and tomtoes, cucumber and salads. I have a plastic storge box which has vegetables like Caulflower, sprouts, carrots, parships, peppers onions in sealable box in the kitichen on the floor. As it is the only safe place to put it.

I am currently feeling very low in my personal life with how things are going, as I have not had any job offers since 2017.

I am sorry that if this seams to be vent on my behalf but I don't any form of support net work in the family terms.

Thank you for listerning.

Terry.
Hi, sorry to hear you're feeling low. Curious as to why you're not eating red meats - if you're restricting carbs red meat isn't an issue. I'm on a very low-carb (20g) diet and eat red meat all the time (no rice/potatoes though) .

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

5Terry

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Vent away @5Terry , no better place to get things off your chest
Why can't you have Beef, Pork and Lamb?
I was advised by the doctor to cut down on the red meats as I have slightly elevated cholesterol levels. I have a Pork Medalion and veg in the slow cooker for my main meal today.

5Terry

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi, sorry to hear you're feeling low. Curious as to why you're not eating red meats - if you're restricting carbs red meat isn't an issue. I'm on a very low-carb (20g) diet and eat red meat all the time (no rice/potatoes though) .
Regarding potatoes and rice, I do eat rice as I can not find a substitute for that I like. As for potatoes, I did try "Sweet potatoes" but they turned out a very soggy mess. So I only put in 4 small or baby white potatoes no more than 3 times a week.
5Terry

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding potatoes and rice, I do eat rice as I can not find a substitute for that I like. As for potatoes, I did try "Sweet potatoes" but they turned out a very soggy mess. So I only put in 4 small or baby white potatoes no more than 3 times a week.
5Terry
Rice, potatoes and sweet potatoes are too high in carb for me. I guess your meter will tell you how they work for you.

5Terry

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rice, potatoes and sweet potatoes are too high in carb for me. I guess your meter will tell you how they work for you.
I don't have a meter to see what sugar levels are. The Diabetes I have is type 2 and the practise nurse for diabetes said that I did not need one. As I control my by diet and what I eat.
I have never been a fittness freak but take a gentle walk around the streets (weather permitting.)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't have a meter to see what sugar levels are. The Diabetes I have is type 2 and the practise nurse for diabetes said that I did not need one. As I control my by diet and what I eat.
I have never been a fittness freak but take a gentle walk around the streets (weather permitting.)
Yes thats the currrent spiel they give, But it is like driving a car without a speedometer, or driving at night by moonlight alone, Many of us find our meters to be essential when using lifestyle and orals for control. it makes things easier to tweak a diet to suit your actual needs rather than your eyes and tummy.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier and filly

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The diabetes I have is Type 2 as well, which I control by diet, and I have found a meter absolutely essential to manage it. I know what particular foods do to my blood glucose and what impact other things (exercise, illness, outside temperature etc) have. I know what to avoid and what to eat - so potatoes, rice, bread etc are out for me, and meat, fish, dairy etc are in.

The standard NHS line is indeed that "T2s do not need a meter" - if they said we did, they'd be obliged to fund both meters and the strips. As there are a lot of us around, that would be quite a big expense. If you read around on this forum you'll see few people not using a meter to help control their conditions.

I also have "elevated" cholesterol levels which are lower now that I have almost eliminated carbs from what I eat. I've found (at least for myself) that a lot of the official advice is not really all that reliable or helpful.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
The reason T2 is considered to be progressive is because of the unhelpful and outdated advise given by many health care professionals. And the reason a great many of us on here have put our T2 into remission, lost weight and improved our cholesterol, is by ignoring any advice that doesn't make sense.

If you had high blood pressure they would encourage you to get a blood pressure monitor and keep an eye on it.
Why should it be any different for high blood sugar? If you had been testing your blood sugar levels you wouldn't need us to tell You that rice and sweet potato spike your blood.

"As I control my by diet and what I eat"
How can you possibly be controlling your T2 by what you eat, if you don't know what you are eating is doing to your sugar levels? See what I mean about nonsense advice

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not bored, I tried so many recipes and even new foods since going low carb.
Have you tried kohlrabi chips or for a roast 'potato' sub? They take more cooking so I boil mine first. Then I add a small amount of olive oil
And apart from raspberries with full-fat greek yogurt most days I eat do small amounts of other berries and I love rhubarb. I make a rhubarb crumble topping with ground almonds (no added fat), just lighted pushed over the fruit as a thin layer.
And I love lemon so that goes on fish or sometimes on chicken.
If you get bored sticking to the same protein and vegs add herbs and spices, a different mix each time?
And for a filling but lower sat fat mince try turkey mince - I make up a spag bol type sauce with plenty of mushrooms, turkey mince, etc. and eat it on its own or over courgetti.